Electrician Talk banner

Panel Changeout

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Krummholz 
#1 ·
I have 5 Westinghouse Panels that desperately need new breakers the panels are before 1950 and are in the block wall so I finally got someone from a supply house to send a man out to custom fit all 5 panels new guts,new breakers new panel cover four 100 amp 20 circuit panels and one 30 circuit panel.Between me changing the old guts and installing the new and making sure everything fits right and labeling it do you guys think $500.00 a panel my labor cost is too much or not enough how much do you think I should charge per panel.:confused1:

#2 ·
I have 5 Westinghouse Panels that desperately need new breakers the panels are before 1950 and are in the block wall so I finally got someone from a supply house to send a man out to custom fit all 5 panels new guts,new breakers new panel cover four 100 amp 20 circuit panels and one 30 circuit panel.Between me changing the old guts and installing the new and making sure everything fits right and labeling it do you guys think $500.00 a panel my labor cost is too much or not enough how much do you think I should charge per panel.:confused1:
$650 Each thats what i would charge.:thumbsup:

#7 ·

Charge them materials plus markup and your hourly rate x how long it takes.:thumbsup:

#9 ·
Gah, we had to do this about 10 months ago in a school we remodeled. Similar situ - panels in block walls they wanted us to "retrofit" with new kits that fit the old cans. I was shocked at the cost ($3,500 each, as I recall). I talked to the guy who did the change out and the labor I had into it (about 8 hours per panel) was about right, on average. Several were easier than others, but all in all, it panned out. Still, wouldn't want to do it again.

One option we considered for future situations was to just rent a concrete saw and cut in a new panel. And frankly, it would've worked in this application too, but we didn't think about it until after we'd done a couple :)

#10 ·
Wow $3,500 8 hours? all the guts are supposed to be close because they are measured maybe a little tweeking but I can't see 8 hours a panel I would go nuts lol and when you say cutting into the wall you would have to cut the box out of the wall and trying to get the pipes just right that to me would be a pain in the ass but thanks for the info

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.