Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 11-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #1

Default Quoteing on new construction home

I'm going to be quoting on a brand new home 2300sqft. 87 insulated pots and minimum code plugs and switches ect.
I can account for material no problem based on the professionally done drawing. But accounting for labour I'm worried I may overshoot it.

I'm wondering if you guys have any tips to accurately quote your labour based on your experience. I don't believe in pricing per square foot.
Maybe I'm asking a non answerable question. I'll post what I come up with and I'll post the e1 drawing see what u guys think.

Built2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!
Old 11-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

There are plenty of pricing threads here to read.. most say using sq. ft. pricing is a bad idea... IT IS...

Old 11-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built2ride View Post
I'm going to be quoting on a brand new home 2300sqft. 87 insulated pots and minimum code plugs and switches ect.
I can account for material no problem based on the professionally done drawing. But accounting for labour I'm worried I may overshoot it.

I'm wondering if you guys have any tips to accurately quote your labour based on your experience. I don't believe in pricing per square foot.
Maybe I'm asking a non answerable question. I'll post what I come up with and I'll post the e1 drawing see what u guys think.
This is one of those times where it really helps to use other people's numbers (time per outlet, not price) to help you formulate your own. After you do enough of these jobs you will be able to tweak those numbers based off your own past work.
DIYer4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #4

Quote:

I have a sure proof, time saving way to quote new construction. It'll take less then 2 minutes.

Simply tell the builder/developer to get all his quotes and send you the cheapest one.

Then ask him how much less you need to do it for to get the job.
flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
Not here at the moment

Quote:
Maybe I'm asking a non answerable question.
IMO, you are doing just that. Your are only giving us the basics, without the much needed devil in the details.

You can't sq/ft this...don't even try....

Sq/ft pricing is based on doing the exact same thing 100-1500 times, over and over again. It's usually used in large developments. The same cookie cutter buildings or homes.

It would be eaiser to see the plans....
Dnkldorf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #6

If you know the material, get a labor unit book and labor each item...

Then if you get the job, analyze how accurate you are
cdslotz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
Twerkin' Yo

Send a message via ICQ to FrunkSlammer Send a message via AIM to FrunkSlammer Send a message via MSN to FrunkSlammer Send a message via Yahoo to FrunkSlammer Send a message via Skype™ to FrunkSlammer

Remember that thread some apprentice made asking how long it should take to install something like 6 pot lights?
The answers on here ranged from 30minutes to 3 hours.
FrunkSlammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
The Boys

Yeah, an hour a pot light for me.

Edit: Of course 87 in 2300 sq ft they are probably 6 inches apart. I may have to re-think this...

I like perfect.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
Twerkin' Yo

Send a message via ICQ to FrunkSlammer Send a message via AIM to FrunkSlammer Send a message via MSN to FrunkSlammer Send a message via Yahoo to FrunkSlammer Send a message via Skype™ to FrunkSlammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveEM View Post
Edit: Of course 87 in 2300 sq ft they are probably 6 inches apart. I may have to re-think this...
Yeah and half of them are 20' up in the "open conceptness".
FrunkSlammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
Registered Member

Assuming gas appliances and a 200 amp overhead sevice wired to minimum code @ $5 a sq ft plus 150 per recess.

$24550

Total job cost from the hip for service equipment decent fixtures wire etc and labor (direct expenses not counting overhead) between $8-10k.

I bid 22 since july I got 9 of those I'm about to bid 4 more.

I just started doing new construction again a few months ago mostly semi custom about the same size some a little bigger. Finished 5 since August priced that way and did pretty well That many hihats it would probably take me a week 7 full days) with a helpie to rough a few days to final.

Or do it another way, I find a lot of the guys that say you can't bid by sq ft don't actually do this type of work and some are just full of ****. Another method is by opening that works too.

IMO doing take offs for small semi custom is a waste of time but YMMV
Goldagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #11
RGH

....haven't done one in years....but....it is better to be over and not get it than short and take a pounding....tough market...let us know how you do
Old 11-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
Nothin' To Lose

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy
I have a sure proof, time saving way to quote new construction. It'll take less then 2 minutes. Simply tell the builder/developer to get all his quotes and send you the cheapest one. Then ask him how much less you need to do it for to get the job.

That's usually how it goes too. I bid a giant house an old friend of mines building and was told $38k was almost double the quotes he's been getting. Almost double!! I told him to make sure a doorbell was installed because it wasn't on the plans and to call if he need me for any reason after construction starts.

-- Andrew Carnegie
Magnettica is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnettica For This Useful Post:
flyboy (11-20-2013)
Old 11-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #13
Bababoee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnettica View Post

That's usually how it goes too. I bid a giant house an old friend of mines building and was told $38k was almost double the quotes he's been getting. Almost double!! I told him to make sure a doorbell was installed because it wasn't on the plans and to call if he need me for any reason after construction starts.
Thats how they do it... go per plan and nail them on change orders/add ons. I never get new construction anymore..
Old 11-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
still in business

If this is your only resource you may be in trouble because in our world no one can make money doing new construction or for that matter even working for a general contractor.
My advice is to not listen to "us" and go with what you know is fair and honest.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
If this is your only resource you may be in trouble because in our world no one can make money doing new construction or for that matter even working for a general contractor.
My advice is to not listen to "us" and go with what you know is fair and honest.
Your best post ever.