CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 01-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #1

Default Service truck set-up ideas

Hi guys I'm new to this forum so this is my first thread. I am a Manager for a large Industrial Electrical Contractor and we started a service division about four years ago. We initially bought vans and have found that they do not really suit our needs in the industrial field which is our primary customer base. We are now switching to 3/4 ton 4wd crew cab trucks and installing service bodies. We recently purchased two and I am looking for some ideas as far as set up. The goal with the trucks is to not have to climb into the back. That being said we have installed a ratpack in the back and a ladder rack. I have installed a conduit box under the ladder rack and intend to mount a conduit vise on the bumper. Anybody know of a vise with the tripod style chain meant for this application? I am looking for some ideas for wire spools, sealtite hangers, hand benders and possibly a gang box that would store tools but it would need to be a rear hinged door rather than a typical top opening box again to avoid entering the rear of the truck. We have purchased enclosed treailers to house a tripple nickel bender and 300 threader but this will only be pulled when needing to install conduit. Any pictures or ideas will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mike69x66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
I own stock in FotoMat!

Why not ask the guys out in the field? They're the ones you need to make happy.

76nemo (01-23-2011)
Old 01-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
Heavily Armed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike69x66 View Post
Hi guys I'm new to this forum so this is my first thread. I am a Manager for a large Industrial Electrical Contractor and we started a service division about four years ago. We initially bought vans and have found that they do not really suit our needs in the industrial field which is our primary customer base. We are now switching to 3/4 ton 4wd crew cab trucks and installing service bodies. We recently purchased two and I am looking for some ideas as far as set up. The goal with the trucks is to not have to climb into the back. That being said we have installed a ratpack in the back and a ladder rack. I have installed a conduit box under the ladder rack and intend to mount a conduit vise on the bumper. Anybody know of a vise with the tripod style chain meant for this application? I am looking for some ideas for wire spools, sealtite hangers, hand benders and possibly a gang box that would store tools but it would need to be a rear hinged door rather than a typical top opening box again to avoid entering the rear of the truck. We have purchased enclosed treailers to house a tripple nickel bender and 300 threader but this will only be pulled when needing to install conduit. Any pictures or ideas will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 87487044.jpg (80.4 KB, 68 views)
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #4

This is the result of that. I'm not entering this blind I'm looking for things on the market to accomplish the wire rack, vise, tool box etc.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRY304E View Post
Welcome to the forum
Thanks! You have a similar body and the same ladder rack. My racks are mounted a little higher so that I can fit the conduit box just under the rack leaving more ladder room.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
Heavily Armed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike69x66 View Post
Thanks! You have a similar body and the same ladder rack. My racks are mounted a little higher so that I can fit the conduit box just under the rack leaving more ladder room.
Quote:
intend to mount a conduit vise on the bumper
That is something a good welder might able to fabricate for you
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
I own stock in FotoMat!

I see pipe vises all the time on utility trucks, but they're the big honkin' 3-tons jobs, not the stuff we'd drive every day.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #8

I tried to convince m,y partners for years that only the guy using the van knows whats best for him.

A good gang box with locks and an alarm system, for starters.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
Registered Member

Default my van

My Van

Cletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
I tried to convince m,y partners for years that only the guy using the van knows whats best for him.

A good gang box with locks and an alarm system, for starters.
I once thought the same way but in my experience I found that efficientcy is lost if we don't standardize. We don't always have the same aprentice with the service tech. We do develope these standards as a team.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #11
I void warranties

Like Brian we leave it up to they guy on the truck for the most part. And a lot of the stuff is custom.

One thing I have learned to do with all service bodies is to add a bar with pad locks across both sides to secure the compartments better.

Jlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
Electrical Contractor

Default truck vise

Many years ago I worked for an electrical oil patch company. We had steel step bumpers on the pickups. to those we either had Ridgid Bench Chain Vises or the Bench Yoke Vise.
As best as i can remember, the Yoke vise was the best as the chain on the other would get encase in mud etc.
There was one truck that the vise was mounted on a square tube which fit into the sidewall hole on the truck box. Wasn't that great for heavy duty reefing with the pipe wrench, but it worked well for holding the the smaller sized pieces.
wcord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #13

Heya guys. I saw an ambulance that was converted into an electrical truck. Kinda cool, but it's not industrial like the starter of this thread wants.
kaboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:02 PM   #14
Registered Member

I found mounting stuff on the truck was a waste of time . Unless you can drive the truck into the building the guys wont use that bumper vise. the plumbers mount a base to lock thier tripod on the back then it can be carried inside to a cat box. A removeable wire rack on wheels will make the techs happy. Two disadvantages to open back trucks are theft of material and parts being damaged from weather.You are correct in making every truck set up the same it helps when moving personel from one vehicle to the next.
Mr Rewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #15
Zog

Our service trucks, we also service large industial facilities.
http://photos.gcbsinventory.com/trailers/
Zog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #16

I do mainly residential, light commercial. I have had a regualar van, then the KUV van that Knapheide sells, then a 15 foot cube van, and now a 10 ft cube van. Out of all I will only buy a cube van. They are so nice because you basically have a shop on wheels. if it rains, you do not have to get soaked while getting parts from the outside bins, everything is inside. My bucket truck has the service body on it, and I find it a real pain when working out of that, there is just not enough room for all of the tools, supplies, and equipment. Cube van is the way to go
thegoodelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #17
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog View Post
Our service trucks, we also service large industial facilities.
http://photos.gcbsinventory.com/trailers/
So, when are you gonna get rid of that dinky little thing and get a real truck?

-John
Old 01-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #18
Zog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
So, when are you gonna get rid of that dinky little thing and get a real truck?

-John
Actually looking at a new rig this week. Putting those NASCAR trailer guys back to work making me something really nice.
Zog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog View Post
Actually looking at a new rig this week. Putting those NASCAR trailer guys back to work making me something really nice.
I'd love to pull up a semi to a residential troubleshoot call
Old 01-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #20
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics37 View Post
I'd love to pull up a semi to a residential troubleshoot call
That would be hilarious: Two or three huge trucks; a dozen guys.

"Afternoon, ma'am, you called about a litchen light not working?" and behind you the crew is unloading huge pieces of test equipment with a forklift and rolling out master spools of 750MCM....

It would be worth the effort just to see the customer's face.

-John