CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 06:30 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4
Default Service truck set-up ideas

Hi guys I'm new to this forum so this is my first thread. I am a Manager for a large Industrial Electrical Contractor and we started a service division about four years ago. We initially bought vans and have found that they do not really suit our needs in the industrial field which is our primary customer base. We are now switching to 3/4 ton 4wd crew cab trucks and installing service bodies. We recently purchased two and I am looking for some ideas as far as set up. The goal with the trucks is to not have to climb into the back. That being said we have installed a ratpack in the back and a ladder rack. I have installed a conduit box under the ladder rack and intend to mount a conduit vise on the bumper. Anybody know of a vise with the tripod style chain meant for this application? I am looking for some ideas for wire spools, sealtite hangers, hand benders and possibly a gang box that would store tools but it would need to be a rear hinged door rather than a typical top opening box again to avoid entering the rear of the truck. We have purchased enclosed treailers to house a tripple nickel bender and 300 threader but this will only be pulled when needing to install conduit. Any pictures or ideas will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mike69x66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
I own stock in FotoMat!
 
480sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cornpatch USA
Posts: 34,948
Default

Why not ask the guys out in the field? They're the ones you need to make happy.

__________________
Never believe everything you read on the internet. --Thomas Jefferson.
480sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 480sparky For This Useful Post:
76nemo (01-23-2011)
Old 01-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
Heavily Armed Member
 
HARRY304E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Reporting from the east coast of Moonbatchusetts..
Posts: 39,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike69x66 View Post
Hi guys I'm new to this forum so this is my first thread. I am a Manager for a large Industrial Electrical Contractor and we started a service division about four years ago. We initially bought vans and have found that they do not really suit our needs in the industrial field which is our primary customer base. We are now switching to 3/4 ton 4wd crew cab trucks and installing service bodies. We recently purchased two and I am looking for some ideas as far as set up. The goal with the trucks is to not have to climb into the back. That being said we have installed a ratpack in the back and a ladder rack. I have installed a conduit box under the ladder rack and intend to mount a conduit vise on the bumper. Anybody know of a vise with the tripod style chain meant for this application? I am looking for some ideas for wire spools, sealtite hangers, hand benders and possibly a gang box that would store tools but it would need to be a rear hinged door rather than a typical top opening box again to avoid entering the rear of the truck. We have purchased enclosed treailers to house a tripple nickel bender and 300 threader but this will only be pulled when needing to install conduit. Any pictures or ideas will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 87487044.jpg (80.4 KB, 68 views)
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4
Default

This is the result of that. I'm not entering this blind I'm looking for things on the market to accomplish the wire rack, vise, tool box etc.
mike69x66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRY304E View Post
Welcome to the forum
Thanks! You have a similar body and the same ladder rack. My racks are mounted a little higher so that I can fit the conduit box just under the rack leaving more ladder room.
mike69x66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
Heavily Armed Member
 
HARRY304E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Reporting from the east coast of Moonbatchusetts..
Posts: 39,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike69x66 View Post
Thanks! You have a similar body and the same ladder rack. My racks are mounted a little higher so that I can fit the conduit box just under the rack leaving more ladder room.
Quote:
intend to mount a conduit vise on the bumper
That is something a good welder might able to fabricate for you
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #7
I own stock in FotoMat!
 
480sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cornpatch USA
Posts: 34,948
Default

I see pipe vises all the time on utility trucks, but they're the big honkin' 3-tons jobs, not the stuff we'd drive every day.
__________________
Never believe everything you read on the internet. --Thomas Jefferson.
480sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
brian john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 25,141
Default

I tried to convince m,y partners for years that only the guy using the van knows whats best for him.

A good gang box with locks and an alarm system, for starters.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: georgia
Posts: 10,305
Default my van

My Van


Cletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
I tried to convince m,y partners for years that only the guy using the van knows whats best for him.

A good gang box with locks and an alarm system, for starters.
I once thought the same way but in my experience I found that efficientcy is lost if we don't standardize. We don't always have the same aprentice with the service tech. We do develope these standards as a team.
mike69x66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #11
I void warranties
 
Jlarson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 12,909
Default

Like Brian we leave it up to they guy on the truck for the most part. And a lot of the stuff is custom.

One thing I have learned to do with all service bodies is to add a bar with pad locks across both sides to secure the compartments better.
__________________
The best never stop learning.

Jlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
Electrical Contractor
 
wcord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 1,793
Default truck vise

Many years ago I worked for an electrical oil patch company. We had steel step bumpers on the pickups. to those we either had Ridgid Bench Chain Vises or the Bench Yoke Vise.
As best as i can remember, the Yoke vise was the best as the chain on the other would get encase in mud etc.
There was one truck that the vise was mounted on a square tube which fit into the sidewall hole on the truck box. Wasn't that great for heavy duty reefing with the pipe wrench, but it worked well for holding the the smaller sized pieces.
wcord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: AB CA
Posts: 1,504
Default

Heya guys. I saw an ambulance that was converted into an electrical truck. Kinda cool, but it's not industrial like the starter of this thread wants.
kaboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: missouri
Posts: 7,306
Default

I found mounting stuff on the truck was a waste of time . Unless you can drive the truck into the building the guys wont use that bumper vise. the plumbers mount a base to lock thier tripod on the back then it can be carried inside to a cat box. A removeable wire rack on wheels will make the techs happy. Two disadvantages to open back trucks are theft of material and parts being damaged from weather.You are correct in making every truck set up the same it helps when moving personel from one vehicle to the next.
Mr Rewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #15
Zog
Senior Member
 
Zog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,930
Default

Our service trucks, we also service large industial facilities.
http://photos.gcbsinventory.com/trailers/
Zog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cedar Falls, IA
Posts: 64
Default

I do mainly residential, light commercial. I have had a regualar van, then the KUV van that Knapheide sells, then a 15 foot cube van, and now a 10 ft cube van. Out of all I will only buy a cube van. They are so nice because you basically have a shop on wheels. if it rains, you do not have to get soaked while getting parts from the outside bins, everything is inside. My bucket truck has the service body on it, and I find it a real pain when working out of that, there is just not enough room for all of the tools, supplies, and equipment. Cube van is the way to go
thegoodelectrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #17
Donuts > Fried Eggs
 
Big John's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland
Posts: 14,648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog View Post
Our service trucks, we also service large industial facilities.
http://photos.gcbsinventory.com/trailers/
So, when are you gonna get rid of that dinky little thing and get a real truck?

-John
__________________
Spend $86 to keep yourself safe. Always wear your gloves.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:28 PM   #18
Zog
Senior Member
 
Zog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 4,930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
So, when are you gonna get rid of that dinky little thing and get a real truck?

-John
Actually looking at a new rig this week. Putting those NASCAR trailer guys back to work making me something really nice.
Zog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
erics37's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Depoe Bay, Oregon
Posts: 12,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog View Post
Actually looking at a new rig this week. Putting those NASCAR trailer guys back to work making me something really nice.
I'd love to pull up a semi to a residential troubleshoot call
__________________
I was assimilated by the Borg and all I got was this stupid t-shirt.
erics37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #20
Donuts > Fried Eggs
 
Big John's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland
Posts: 14,648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erics37 View Post
I'd love to pull up a semi to a residential troubleshoot call
That would be hilarious: Two or three huge trucks; a dozen guys.

"Afternoon, ma'am, you called about a litchen light not working?" and behind you the crew is unloading huge pieces of test equipment with a forklift and rolling out master spools of 750MCM....

It would be worth the effort just to see the customer's face.

-John

__________________
Spend $86 to keep yourself safe. Always wear your gloves.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Service truck checklist thunderpaste General Electrical Discussion 59 01-31-2011 05:08 PM
My next Service Truck Design jrannis Off Topic 9 09-17-2010 12:22 PM
Wanted: 3/4 ton Service Truck Skipp Electrician Swap 7 06-08-2010 07:43 PM
12v/120v inverter for service truck RICK BOYD General Electrical Discussion 19 09-28-2009 09:46 PM
1 ton bucket truck OR van for service work personal Tools, Equipment and New Products 5 02-18-2009 07:04 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:43 AM.


Copyright 2006-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com