Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > Business, Marketing, and Sales

Old 07-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #1

Default skilled labor shortage

I keep hearing about a skilled labor shortage. On the other hand the unemployment rate for construction workers is 14%. Is there really a skilled labor shortage, or a cheap labor shortage.

cthermond is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!
Old 07-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #2

IMO, a skilled shortage, at least around here. After looking for at least the last 6 months, I can't seem to find "skilled" workers. Plenty of people who you wouldn't want to hire that call themselves "lectricians" are looking for work, but not a lot of skilled guys around here.

I have already started to see the wages rising as well.

Switched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched View Post
IMO, a skilled shortage, at least around here. After looking for at least the last 6 months, I can't seem to find "skilled" workers. Plenty of people who you wouldn't want to hire that call themselves "lectricians" are looking for work, but not a lot of skilled guys around here.

I have already started to see the wages rising as well.
Specifically what types of skills are you looking for?
cthermond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #4

I am a service company first, but we do commercial construction now as well.

If I want a resi service guy, I expect him to be able to troubleshoot with speed and efficiency. I expect him to be able to then, with provided training, provide a quote for repairs, and lastly to perform those repairs.

In construction, I expect any Jman to be able to look at a set of plans, and determine what they mean. I expect that when they get a lighting control panel that provides a set of instructions, because they are all a little different, that he can determine how to install it and make it work. I would expect them to know how to do any type of lighting controls that are required by Title 24, as it has been around for a while. I would expect them to be able to install conduit with speed and efficiency.....and I want it to look good.

I guess I want and expect to much, but the problem is, those guys are out there, they are employed with other quality contractors, and they don't want to leave. So when a new contractor comes up, he has to wade through a lot of garbage to get the quality.

I'm over the three sentence rule, but of course there is a lot more!
Old 07-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #5
corn-fused

Quote:
I am a service company first, but we do commercial construction now as well.

If I want a resi service guy, I expect him to be able to troubleshoot with speed and efficiency. I expect him to be able to then, with provided training, provide a quote for repairs, and lastly to perform those repairs.

In construction, I expect any Jman to be able to look at a set of plans, and determine what they mean. I expect that when they get a lighting control panel that provides a set of instructions, because they are all a little different, that he can determine how to install it and make it work. I would expect them to know how to do any type of lighting controls that are required by Title 24, as it has been around for a while. I would expect them to be able to install conduit with speed and efficiency.....and I want it to look good.

I guess I want and expect to much, but the problem is, those guys are out there, they are employed with other quality contractors, and they don't want to leave. So when a new contractor comes up, he has to wade through a lot of garbage to get the quality.

I'm over the three sentence rule, but of course there is a lot more!
i think you may be expecting a little too much. not much, but a little too much. my one sore point here is troubleshooting with speed and accuracy. do you want speed, or accuracy? they dont usually come together
papaotis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to papaotis For This Useful Post:
HARRY304E (07-15-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaotis View Post
i think you may be expecting a little too much. not much, but a little too much. my one sore point here is troubleshooting with speed and accuracy. do you want speed, or accuracy? they dont usually come together
Sometimes I think I want to much, but then I remember all of the guys I have worked with. There have been some really good people over the years, and I realize I am not wanting to much. I am wanting what everyone would expect out of an electrician when they hire them.

Certain things can be taught, but most people don't even seem to know the basics. A common answer to "How does a GFCI work, or What does a GFCI do?" is "If someone plugs something in that draws too much power, then it trips the GFCI". People just seem to be learning as little as possible....just enough to get them by.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #7
Heavily Armed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthermond View Post
I keep hearing about a skilled labor shortage. On the other hand the unemployment rate for construction workers is 14%. Is there really a skilled labor shortage, or a cheap labor shortage.

Minimum wage skilled labor shortage,and they're about to flood the country by making illegals legal..
Old 07-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #8

Default Just sayin

For the business owners that are expecting quality lectricians, customer may expect business owners to know:
Quote:

to
preposition
(used for expressing motion or direction toward a point, person, place, or thing approached and reached, as opposed to from ): They came to the house.
(used for expressing direction or motion or direction toward something) in the direction of; toward: from north to south.
(used for expressing limit of movement or extension): He grew to six feet.
(used for expressing contact or contiguity) on; against; beside; upon: a right uppercut to the jaw; Apply varnish to the surface.
(used for expressing a point of limit in time) before; until: to this day; It is ten minutes to six. We work from nine to five.
being different from
Quote:
too
adverb
in addition; also; furthermore; moreover: young, clever, and rich too.
to an excessive extent or degree; beyond what is desirable, fitting, or right: too sick to travel.
more, as specified, than should be: too near the fire.
(used as an affirmative to contradict a negative statement): I am too!
extremely; very: She wasn't too pleased with his behavior.
I think they would consider knowing the difference to be basic business skills.

Got to be careful about throwing them stones.

Last edited by hardworkingstiff; 07-15-2013 at 11:20 PM.
hardworkingstiff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hardworkingstiff For This Useful Post:
99cents (07-16-2013), CopperSlave (07-16-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 11:21 PM   #9
Heavily Armed Member

Quote:
Sometimes I think I want to much, but then I remember all of the guys I have worked with. There have been some really good people over the years, and I realize I am not wanting to much. I am wanting what everyone would expect out of an electrician when they hire them.

Certain things can be taught, but most people don't even seem to know the basics. A common answer to "How does a GFCI work, or What does a GFCI do?" is "If someone plugs something in that draws too much power, then it trips the GFCI". People just seem to be learning as little as possible....just enough to get them by.
What's it take to become a licensed j-man there.?
Old 07-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #10

Forgive me for my grammatical errors.

It is only fun to throw stones when there are glass houses around, it just happens that sometimes that glass house is yours.
The Following User Says Thank You to Switched For This Useful Post:
HARRY304E (07-15-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #11
Heavily Armed Member

Quote:

It is only fun to throw stones when there are glass houses around, it just happens that sometimes that glass house is yours.
I think we should only use the word two..
hardworkingstiff (07-15-2013)
Old 07-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #12

Quote:

I've swept up my share of glass.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRY304E View Post
What's it take to become a licensed j-man there.?
Fill out this form; http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/ECU/Elect...cationForm.pdf
and then take the state test.

I doubt that they really qualify everyone taking the test. I know a Resi. Jman that came from out of state. He filled out the paperwork for a General Jman (So he can basically work on all aspects of electrical work). He did not know how to bend conduit, can't wire a lighting contactor, etc......

The state does not have a difficult test, and I doubt they really try to enforce anything associated with licensing. As long as they get the test, retest, and other associated fees, they are cool.
Old 07-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #14

hardworkingstiff.....my frustration seems to be more with a lack of will, desire, or what have you to better your knowledge and position in the trades.

I would take a less qualified individual that was eager and willing to put in the time to learn, but that I am also having a hard time finding. People just seem to want to play on their phones.

Anyone watch "Deadliest Catch"?

How many of the greenhorns come on the show with that sense of entitlement?
Old 07-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #15
Heavily Armed Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Fill out this form; http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/ECU/Elect...cationForm.pdf
and then take the state test.

I doubt that they really qualify everyone taking the test. I know a Resi. Jman that came from out of state. He filled out the paperwork for a General Jman (So he can basically work on all aspects of electrical work). He did not know how to bend conduit, can't wire a lighting contactor, etc......

The state does not have a difficult test, and I doubt they really try to enforce anything associated with licensing. As long as they get the test, retest, and other associated fees, they are cool.
There is your problem right there,low standards means you will have a large pool of poorly trained Journeymen .

How can you guy expect skilled electricians to be available if they can just take the test and sat they're journeymen.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:39 AM   #16

Yes, an unqualified person can make their way through an open book code test eventually.

But I will add, they did start requiring the submittal of your SSA report that is suppose to verify your 8000 hours of experience based on your income reported by the employer. But I honestly don't know how close they scrutinize that document.
Cat5Installer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cat5Installer For This Useful Post:
Switched (07-16-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 01:36 AM   #17
Heavily Armed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat5Installer View Post
Yes, an unqualified person can make their way through an open book code test eventually.

But I will add, they did start requiring the submittal of your SSA report that is suppose to verify your 8000 hours of experience based on your income reported by the employer. But I honestly don't know how close they scrutinize that document.
Here the master has to sign for each hour an apprentice works and can be held liable if the fudge the time.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #18

Quote:
hardworkingstiff.....my frustration seems to be more with a lack of will, desire, or what have you to better your knowledge and position in the trades.

I would take a less qualified individual that was eager and willing to put in the time to learn, but that I am also having a hard time finding. People just seem to want to play on their phones.

Anyone watch "Deadliest Catch"?

How many of the greenhorns come on the show with that sense of entitlement?
I understand and agree. I'm sorry I lost my cool, , I actually agree with your basic premise.

At the pump and tank company I used to work at, the installation guys had a joke about the service guys, we would say the service guys would break out their laptop and say "which F button do I use to change that nozzle?". They just didn't want to get their hands dirty.

I think work ethics have fallen over the years (in general, not everyone), the general education level has fallen, and like you said, all people want to do now is use their phones to go to social sites or play games.

That is one of the reasons I kept getting smaller and smaller until I became a one man show.

Now, I'm just a has been show.
Old 07-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #19
toothless peckerhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthermond View Post

It's more a critical thinking shortage....

~CS~
hardworkingstiff (07-16-2013), Switched (07-16-2013)
Old 07-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #20
BDB

I know around these parts you can not find skilled workers. there are no JW's to be had.

BDB is offline   Reply With Quote