Electrician Talk banner

What do you do with tripped GFCI's and tripped breakers?

7K views 44 replies 28 participants last post by  Big John 
#1 ·
For some reason, folks go crazy when all you have to do is show them how to reset things? What is your way to get compensated for this? Do you do it for free? Do you charge a trip fee?

What say you?

#4 ·
I hate when I get to a call and that's all it is. I usually ask a lot of questions on the phone, lots of times I'm able to get them to look for the tripped breaker or gfci. If I went out...steady customers I usually say no charge. If it's a new customer I charge my usual service call rate...I then tell the customer they have me for an hour. If they can't find anything I'll do an inspection. Sometimes I get more work out of it even

#5 ·
I used to do that but not anymore. The time I drive there, do even 1 minute of work is going to be 30 plus minutes depending on traffic.
Also they are paying you for your knowledge and experience.

I do also try to have them reset the G.f.c.i. before I show up.

If you feel that's wrong I would change out the gfi just so you don't have to go back out if it's going bad. I also show them how to reset it and go over how it may happend, and advise not to use two hairdryers at one time!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

#6 ·
GFIs and breakers don't usually trip for no reason. I ask them exactly what was happening when it occurred. If a GFCI trips due to moisture when it's raining, I change the outlet and install a new cover and silicone it. If a breaker trips from an overload, I change the breaker, and offer to install a new circuit to take care of the overload. Either way, I educate them about what causes it.

#8 ·
Do you try to talk them through it on the phone before driving out?
Big difference in my opinion.

#12 · (Edited)
Sell them a panel service/system inspect:

*visual device inspections of kitchen ,house:
*retorque panel connections
*clean out inside of panel inspect for burn buss
*double check circuit nomenclature on panel cover
*check meter jaws
*quick visual inspection of garage to look for extension cords acting as permanent wiring violations

(*Upsell bonding hot/cold/gas at water heater or comprehensive device upgrades for House)

After call is over hang about 30 door knockers advertising in neighborhood
:thumbup::thumbup:

#13 ·
2nd that w/a twist Lep ;)

It's very dependent on who's gfci i reset, but many times it'll be some retiree that is a known loudmouth w/o charge , flip 'em a card and say 'Call us when you've some real work"

In my small pond , word of mouth is phenomenal , especially when it's others that do it for me....:thumbup:~CS~:thumbup:

#14 ·
Where I work we charge a service fee. That gets us to come out. Essentially it's a dispatch fee. On arrival we do a 12 point safety inspection. That entails checking for GFCI existence and functionality, smoke detectors, panel etc. This gets me familiar with the house and gets me started on searching for the problem that resulted in the call. Ideally by this point I can offer options and solutions for repairs and what the cost will be. At a minimum we at least get the service fee but ideally we get a repair charge. Either way, no freebie.

#20 · (Edited)
Fun that you should ask .

We did a lot of work for the super rich ... They pay better .

But , we did not install GFI Breakers , but will place a GFI Recpt at all needed loco's

This is to get them to reset it at the place they were using power ...
Never have them look for a Breaker.

Rich people do not like doing anything and we hated getting emergency calls in the evening for this chit ...

charge what you will
Don

#21 ·
I've thought about this a lot. There are 3 possibilities.

1. You reset the GFCI but don't charge them because nothing was really wrong. (You get F'd)

2. You reset the GFCI and charge them a brief service call fee. (the customer feels like they just paid someone to push a button and you risk getting a bad reputation)

3. You replace the GFCI and educate them on how they work. (The customer is happy AND you got paid.)

A long time ago an employer told me that we're not in the business of saving people money. Sometimes I have to remind myself of that.

#23 ·
I've thought about this a lot. There are 3 possibilities.

1. You reset the GFCI but don't charge them because nothing was really wrong. (You get F'd)

2. You reset the GFCI and charge them a brief service call fee. (the customer feels like they just paid someone to push a button and you risk getting a bad reputation)

3. You replace the GFCI and educate them on how they work. (The customer is happy AND you got paid.)

A long time ago an employer told me that we're not in the business of saving people money. Sometimes I have to remind myself of that.
depending on how they react
most often its an easy explanation and i get paid for a service call anyway,
(if they piss me off with a catty remark i point to the indicator led and say this means push the button dumbass) and charge double the service call:laughing:

#24 ·
had one last week, this thread must have jinxed me

told landlord on phone to push each breaker, one at a time, fully to off and then back to on, she called back and said tenant had already done that. so I went

took a few receptacles out of wall and then headed to panel box, saw tripped breaker from 15' away. reset breaker and everything fine. already saw space heater so I told the tenant not to use it, it would trip the breaker

$75, landlord thanked me

#31 ·
I had another one day with different results. I got a call with no power to attic AC unit. Customer stated AC guy had tried to reset all the breakers. When I arrived to the home, I verified there was no power in the service switch. I explained it would be $$$ to troubleshoot. He asked me if he had a choice, I told him yes, he could call another contractor. He also told me he would be mad if it was a breaker. I told him to focus his anger towards the AC guy (lol). Of course, the AC guy didn't try the 2 pole breakers and I found the breaker for a MWBS half tripped.

#34 ·
Here's a wacky one I ran into the other day.

Tripped GFCI in the garage. Circuit feeds 2 baths and a rear sunroom that had been converted to a living space. I divide and conquer. Find the line between two of the receptacles in the sunroom is tripping the circuit. I megged the line insulation is good. I switch the the ohm function on the 1503. Won't test the line says there is 4VDC on the black. The line was in a block wall.

I abandoned the cable and SMR the jump.

Any thoughts? I didn't waste anytime trying to figure out the voltage.

#36 ·
I specifically walk the customer thru turning off all their breakers and turning them back on. I explain to them that I have to charge the service call fee even if it's just a tripped breaker, so I would rather help them out over the phone to fix their problem if I can. Many people have done this and been happy, I always ask for the address and send them a bunch of business cards and any promotional cards I have at the time.

Some customers refuse to even try, they just say "Can't you come here and do it?". In that case, I charge for the service call.

I don't have a trip fee. I charge a flat fee that covers up to an hour.

#39 ·
I hope all of you guys would charge the customer. If I take my car down to the dealership to have it looked at, they charge me a diagnostic fee and I have to bring my car to them.

With gas and the fact that you can only be in one place at one time I would not feel bad about charging someone. You showed up ready to fix the problem, is it your fault that it was just a tripped gcfi or breaker?

#40 ·
I find this conversation fascinating. Everyone has their own way of handling a common issue and prices are all over the map. If I charged $225 where I am there'd have to be some significant work done. I'm still building my business so if I can help someone for free (especially over the phone) I try to go that route. I feel as though if I help them out today they'll remember me when it's time for some real work or when their friend needs something. It's personally gratifying to hear 2nd hand how someone said I was so nice and helped them out. In the small area I have chosen to live and work in word of mouth and reputation is everything so the more people I help the better off I am in the long run. Yes, I'm in business to make money, but customer outreach is important as well. Good reputation = more work in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.