CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

Default balance load

why do loads need to be balanced??? why cant i just use one side of my fuse box. why does it have to be balaced???? cant i just pull of one side. just use one 110 line????inquiring minds....

Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #2
Fried Bologna um um good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrenneke View Post
why do loads need to be balanced??? why cant i just use one side of my fuse box. why does it have to be balaced???? cant i just pull of one side. just use one 110 line????inquiring minds....

Is it a 3 phase system? What kinda loads are in the panel? How many amps? You probably can just use one side of your fuse box for a 120v load.....

Old 06-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #3
I own stock in FotoMat!

You can stress the one side of the transformer.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
Bilge Rat

Voltage drop will be a far greater issue if the loads are not balanced.

Often the neutral is smaller than the hots, and if al loads are on one leg, it could very easily be overloaded. The neutral does not have overcurrent protection.

Rob
Old 06-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Even when using one side of the panel, you are still alternating between hot legs. So you're still using both (or all three if 3 phase) when only taking circuits from either side.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:15 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:

Balancing a panel has nothing to do with what side you're on, but rather what phase the loads are on. You could have 20 spaces of a 40 space panel, all on the same side. If arranged correctly, the service will be balanced, rearrange, and it could be unbalanced. The sides have no bearing on the balance.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
Pure Evil

I've always wondered is a POCO meter measured both legs and added them together or just used one leg and doubled it.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:33 PM   #8

Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.