CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Community > Off Topic

Old 01-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #1

Default Gold Rush Alaska

Anyone watching Gold Rush Alaska? I would like to try something like that but I would not want to be as hard up as tha Hoffman's are.
You really have to admire them but that being said I think they should have done more research before they got started.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-01-2012, 04:13 PM   #2

My favorite show on TV, hope Dakota Fred goes broke

ohiosparky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ohiosparky99 For This Useful Post:
John Valdes (01-02-2012), kawimudslinger (01-03-2012)
Old 01-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
BBQ
Salty Member

Its an OK show but I wish they would stop talking about the old man and his glory hole, it just don't sound right.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BBQ For This Useful Post:
electro916 (01-01-2012), Loose Neutral (01-01-2012), macmikeman (01-02-2012)
Old 01-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
BR549

I really like that show but, the sure thing would be to volunteer at the Big Nugget Mine and work for Parker to learn the business.
I think they went in too big and too green to make any money.
Think of the steady money we make and think of how much money they need to break even with all of that equipment.
It can only be worth it if you either get really, really lucky or process rich dirt 24/7.
I would like to see a new episode some day.
jrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrannis For This Useful Post:
76nemo (01-04-2012)
Old 01-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #5

Yea, would like to see a new episode too, hope these guys fine 100 oz. Looks like they're on the gold now though
Old 01-01-2012, 05:03 PM   #6

I find 3-5 episodes of any of these shows and you can figure the rest out.

fishing, gold, guns, rental storage, pawn shops...............
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #7

I guess the reason I like the show so much, is I could almost see myself doing something like that
Old 01-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
Data Tech/Apprentice.

My old man loves this show, I can't believe that old coot hit his own truck with his excavator. That Todd us just a bully and has no leadership ability. "Can't a guy risk it all in America anymore?" isn't a sound business plan.

Sent from my Vodafone 845 using Electrician Talk
Old 01-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosparky99 View Post
He had all legal rights to buy the mine because the hoffmans missed a lease payment. In the contract the lease was null and void if any payments were missed, I agree he should have given them a notice and not drop the bomb when they already started mining.....

.....If I was a good friend of the claim owner like Fred is, and I knew what gold was there and had the chance to buy it out from underneath the hoffmans legally.......you bet I would.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
Former sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro916 View Post
He had all legal rights to buy the mine because the hoffmans missed a lease payment. In the contract the lease was null and void if any payments were missed, I agree he should have given them a notice and not drop the bomb when they already started mining.....

.....If I was a good friend of the claim owner like Fred is, and I knew what gold was there and had the chance to buy it out from underneath the hoffmans legally.......you bet I would.

For what was mentioned on the after show there was way more to that than they are telling. Apparently there were complaints filed with some of the miner associations and groups up there. They had issues with legality up there. When Fred brought it up on the after show he was hushed by the producer. It's all preception, they edit Fred to be a prick. I wouldn't have done it the way he did and you see karma came calling (taking out his house) and the mechanical problems were a laugh.
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MechanicalDVR For This Useful Post:
electro916 (01-01-2012)
Old 01-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
Former sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy View Post
My old man loves this show, I can't believe that old coot hit his own truck with his excavator. That Todd us just a bully and has no leadership ability. "Can't a guy risk it all in America anymore?" isn't a sound business plan.

Sent from my Vodafone 845 using Electrician Talk

Wasn't it the 16 yr old that hit the truck? And kept grinding the loader cab into the dump...
The Following User Says Thank You to MechanicalDVR For This Useful Post:
John Valdes (01-02-2012)
Old 01-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR

Wasn't it the 16 yr old that hit the truck? And kept grinding the loader cab into the dump...
I think he's referring to the big dent in the side of Jacks truck
Old 01-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
For what was mentioned on the after show there was way more to that than they are telling. Apparently there were complaints filed with some of the miner associations and groups up there. They had issues with legality up there. When Fred brought it up on the after show he was hushed by the producer. It's all preception, they edit Fred to be a prick. I wouldn't have done it the way he did and you see karma came calling (taking out his house) and the mechanical problems were a laugh.
I actually did not see that after show.....I agree with you on the fact that the way he did it was wrong, But I don't blame him for buying the claim.....
Old 01-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Yea That was this season....

Last season Jack Hoffman railed his truck with the counterweight of his Hitachi EX400
Old 01-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #15
Former sparky

Quote:
Yea That was this season....

Last season Jack Hoffman railed his truck with the counterweight of his Hitachi EX400

Thanks, I haven't seen many episodes.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:41 PM   #16
Former sparky

Quote:
I actually did not see that after show.....I agree with you on the fact that the way he did it was wrong, But I don't blame him for buying the claim.....

I have lived by not doing anything during the day that makes me lose sleep at night. And he could have been more on the level about it.

Personaly I think all three crews seem a little off, the 16yr old needs a boot in the ass for yelling at his grandfather, Fred is just too cocky and needs a plan, the Hoffman's need a plan they seem to hap-hazzard.

And the morphine mechanic, that far out in the wilderness and no easy outs or way to remove a broken bolt, he has a roll off of equipment for a shop.

I would invest $1000 without a plan and a back up plan.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosparky99 View Post
And he gets run over by one of the loaders. The guy is a jerk/

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
I find 3-5 episodes of any of these shows and you can figure the rest out.
fishing, gold, guns, rental storage, pawn shops...............
Okay. How much gold will each site find? Sorry, this show is good. Probably the best we got right now.

Quote:
Yea, some people could care less about other people. Those guys had everything ready to go. To start mining. I would haved sued the owner for not evicting me before I spent the money. Of course this is just a show, but the mine owner and Dakota Fred are both pricks.

Quote:
Yea, like he could not find a starter of all parts. That starter was probably on any auto part store shelf. I know it goes on a big machine, but it looked like an every day type starter to me.

Quote:
Kids pretty aggressive for a high schooler. 16 years old and seems to have direction. We could use more like him. Even though he does not know his ass from a hole in the ground. But he is trying. He would never make it without help and lots of it.
I really like the show.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #18
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Everyone else's job looks easy when you're sitting in your living room..

Last edited by B4T; 01-02-2012 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelling..
B4T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4T View Post
Everyone else's job looks easy when your sitting in your living room..
Or posting on a forum...
Chris1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:24 PM   #20
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1971 View Post
Or posting on a forum...