One way moving truck with a lift gate? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrician Talk Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Like Tree21Likes
  • 2 Post By Bird dog
  • 6 Post By splatz
  • 6 Post By Switched
  • 2 Post By Cow
  • 1 Post By Suncoast Power
  • 2 Post By splatz
  • 2 Post By MikeFL

Old 03-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 46
Default One way moving truck with a lift gate?

I'm moving from Houston, TX to Plant City, FL. I had planned on getting a 26 foot moving truck with a lift gate. I've now learned that "one way truck" and "lift gate" don't go together in the same sentence. Pretty aggravating.

I hate using the ramps. Lift gates are SO much easier. Especially on the big, bulky, heavy stuff. I've got a welding machine to move that is too wide for the ramp, and too dang heavy to lift up. It is on wheels.

Any of you folks know of a rental company that does one way with a lift gate? Penske and Budget have lift gate for round trip only. Enterprise doesn't do one way. U-haul doesn't do lift gates.

I looked at renting a local (round trip rental) truck with lift gate, but the mileage charges would double the rental charge.

Real pain in my arse at the moment.
McDaniel8402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2017, 06:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,200

Rent a truck with a liftgate to load welder onto truck with no liftgate. Get to Florida & do opposite. Or build a wood ramp you can take along with you.
brian john and MechanicalDVR like this.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:50 PM   #3
Profiteer

Rewards Points: 1,186

I know this isn't optimal, but Harbor Freight has those engine cranes for $200. They are rated at 4,000lbs, which I am sure your welder doesn't come close to. And you can probably find many other uses for this in the future, such as generator placing.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:12 PM   #4
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,010

Yeah the engine hoist will be too big to lift into the truck too but you could use the welder to cut it into pieces and reassemble it in Florida.
readydave8, wendon, telsa and 3 others like this.
MikeFL (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 07:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,216

What about one of those companies that drops off the storage containers, ships them to your new location and picks them up when done? Those are at ground level.
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Switched For This Useful Post:
MikeFL (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #6
Profiteer

Rewards Points: 1,186

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
Yeah the engine hoist will be too big to lift into the truck too but you could use the welder to cut it into pieces and reassemble it in Florida.
The Harbor Freight one is pretty light and foldable.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:57 PM   #7
Cow

Rewards Points: 2,478

Post your load on Uship and let someone else deal with loading and unloading it.

It's worked well for me in the past.
MechanicalDVR and telsa like this.
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cow For This Useful Post:
Suncoast Power (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 05:03 AM   #8
Semper Fidelis

Rewards Points: 4,876

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDaniel8402 View Post
I'm moving from Houston, TX to Plant City, FL. I had planned on getting a 26 foot moving truck with a lift gate. I've now learned that "one way truck" and "lift gate" don't go together in the same sentence. Pretty aggravating.

I hate using the ramps. Lift gates are SO much easier. Especially on the big, bulky, heavy stuff. I've got a welding machine to move that is too wide for the ramp, and too dang heavy to lift up. It is on wheels.

Any of you folks know of a rental company that does one way with a lift gate? Penske and Budget have lift gate for round trip only. Enterprise doesn't do one way. U-haul doesn't do lift gates.

I looked at renting a local (round trip rental) truck with lift gate, but the mileage charges would double the rental charge.

Real pain in my arse at the moment.
I'm thinking that if the welder is your only show stopper, I would find a way to get it up that ramp.
Or, pull a rented trailer or car hauler with the box truck.
telsa likes this.
Suncoast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:54 AM   #9
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
The Harbor Freight one is pretty light and foldable.
MechanicalDVR and Bird dog like this.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:56 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 15,780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Power View Post
I'm thinking that if the welder is your only show stopper, I would find a way to get it up that ramp.
Or, pull a rented trailer or car hauler with the box truck.

Just so.

Don't think outside the box... think behind the box, truck.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:18 AM   #11
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 462

You have a "too heavy" and "too wide" welder.

Sell the old one on eBay and buy a newer, lighter and more compact welder when you get to the new location.
flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flyboy For This Useful Post:
Suncoast Power (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 09:08 AM   #12
Deplorable-Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,108

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
I know this isn't optimal, but Harbor Freight has those engine cranes for $200. They are rated at 4,000lbs, which I am sure your welder doesn't come close to. And you can probably find many other uses for this in the future, such as generator placing.
Unless you had a truck with a really low bed the engine lift wouldn't have the height to get the welder high enough. The Budget trucks I used to move the last time were way too high for an engine hoist to work. Roller cabinets were hard enough getting up and down the ramp.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" mlk
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 306

I've got a 14' truck with a ramp. When I have to move a condenser we just slide it up on top of the ramp on the little curbs that keep your dolly from rolling off. Any chance you could take an old piece of carpet, fuzzy side down, and just slide the welder up with the wheel hanging over the edges of the ramp?
matt1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:04 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,288
Send a message via Skype™ to MikeFL

Here you go brother. Someone did all the work for you.
One-way moving trucks with lift gate:
http://firstquarterfinance.com/renta...o-choose-from/
telsa and splatz like this.
(239) 848-6675
MikeFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:29 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,240

Just think! You move across the country, and when you arrive in Plant City, you realize you never left Texas!
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote