CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Community > ElectricianTalk.com News > Site Feedback and Suggestions

Old 02-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
Registered Member

Default IP Address

Saw this on another forum. Can we do this?

User 365 What ever
IP: 72.244.57.149

mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclary's electrical View Post
Saw this on another forum. Can we do this?

User 365 What ever
IP: 72.244.57.149
Not sure what you are asking. You cannot see members IP addresses but moderators can.

Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:23 PM   #3

If you know someones IP then go here and plug it in. That IP is colorado. It is possible to be from NY and use IP addresses from somewhere else.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
Not sure what you are asking. You cannot see members IP addresses but moderators can.

That's what I was asking, could we show the IP addresses to everyone?
Old 02-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #5

Quote:
No- some people are not interested in you knowing where they live.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
No- some people are not interested in you knowing where they live.

Well, I didn't realize you could find that out. I just would like to know the users with multiple accounts. Cut down on the trolling.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Well, I didn't realize you could find that out. I just would like to know the users with multiple accounts. Cut down on the trolling.
Jerry if you are a mod on another forum you should or could have means to find members IP address. The forum software has an interface that will search all members with the same IP.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

One of our famous trolls claim to fame was never being caught because he could change his IP address..

Funny how some people get "kicks" out of doing something so stupid..
Old 02-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4T View Post
One of our famous trolls claim to fame was never being caught because he could change his IP address..

Funny how some people get "kicks" out of doing something so stupid..
Some trolls tried to hide who they were while others didn't hide it at all. When Peter D was trolling he never hid it.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Quote:
Some trolls tried to hide who they were while others didn't hide it at all. When Peter D was trolling he never hid it.
It was Hackwork and I am sure he is lurking somewhere on this forum..
Old 02-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #11

Quote:

Hack is in HD's parking lot wondering why you aren't there.....

Bulldog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bulldog1 For This Useful Post:
B4T (02-03-2012), macmikeman (02-03-2012), MarkyMark (02-06-2012), mcclary's electrical (02-03-2012), slickvic277 (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Actually Hack may have changed his IP but in general he didn't. Hopefully that is all behind us now.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #13
BBQ
Salty Member

Quote:
In many cases IP addresses change, I have thousands of IP addresses logged to me at Holts.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
In many cases IP addresses change, I have thousands of IP addresses logged to me at Holts.
Yet I have about 40 at MH and 13 here at ET. I bet your blackberry gets different ip's all the time. You only have about 80 here...
Old 02-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #15

I've been a mod at Handymanwire since 2003. Their forum software does this.
It's logged in every post.
Check it out:
http://handymanwire.com/ubbthreads/u..._pu#Post700948
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
I've been a mod at Handymanwire since 2003. Their forum software does this.
It's logged in every post.
Check it out:
http://handymanwire.com/ubbthreads/u..._pu#Post700948
Do you have to be a member and logged in? I'm not seeing any IP addresses.
8V71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8V71

Do you have to be a member and logged in? I'm not seeing any IP addresses.
You know what? I'm an idiot. Iv'e been a mod so long there I forgot what the site looked like. It's a mod only view. Sorry.
Here we have to go into a special page to see IPs
Old 02-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #18
"Mainstreet"

I would rather member's not know my IP address.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

I really don't know much about it. How does it change?
Old 02-03-2012, 11:57 PM   #20
Conservitum Americum

Quote:
I really don't know much about it. How does it change?
Interesting stuff. Taken from here:

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/tcpiptutorials/f/change-address.htm

The IP addresses you use for Internet access are controlled by Internet Service Providers (ISPs). It is not easy to change these, especially if you want to do it quickly.

Some Internet services assign you static IP addresses. To change a static IP address, you will need to contact the ISP and work with their technical support to have them assign a new one.
Most Internet services, however, use dynamic IP addresses via DHCP. The policies of ISPs dictate how to change these. If your computer is directly connected to the Internet, you can attempt to release and renew the address using ipconfig or a similar utility. Consult your ISP technical support for details. Often, you will need to disconnect your modem from the Internet for a long period of time (many hours or a few days) before the ISP will assign a different dynamic IP address. Changing Private IP Addresses

It is easier to change private IP addresses, the ones used internally on your local network. If using static addressing, you can directly set a new IP address on the device. If using dynamic addresses supplied via a network router, you have a few options:
  • release and renew the DHCP address on the client
  • set up the router (or other DHCP server) to use a different IP address range (and update addressing on the network's other devices accordingly)
  • change one or more devices on the network from dynamic to static addressing. You can mix static and dynamic clients on the same network as long as you avoid using static IP addresses within the numeric range where the DHCP server is likely to issue its addresses.
Why Change Your IP Address?

Some people change a public IP address to avoid online bans. Web site message boards and other services sometimes block individuals by their IP address. Note that some sites block people by their user names, and changing the IP address will have no effect in this case.

Additionally, an ISP may assign you an invalid address due to some technical glitch in their equipment. This is another (more legitimate) reason to change your public IP address.
Changing a private IP address does not at all help with Internet address issues. However, changing these makes sense in a few situations:
  • if you have accidentally configured an invalid address (such as a static IP address in the wrong numeric range)
  • if you are using a malfunctioning router that is providing bad addresses, such as one already being used by another computer on your network
  • if you are installing a new router and re-configuring your home network to use its default IP address range
The choice of IP address does not affect your network performance or network security in any meaningful way.

When connecting to the Internet, your home computer (or network router) is assigned a public IP address. As you visit Web sites or other Internet servers, that public IP address is transmitted and recorded in log files kept on those servers. Access logs leave behind a trail of your Internet activity. If it were possible to somehow hide your public IP address, your Internet activity would become much more difficult to trace.

Answer: Unfortunately, it is not technically possible to always hide the public IP address of a home network. An IP address enables devices to locate and communicate with each other on the Internet. Completely hiding the IP address of a device would render it invisible but also unusable online.
On the other hand, it is possible to hide public IP addreseses from most Internet servers in most situations. This method involves an Internet service called an anonymous proxy server. Using an Anonymous Proxy Server

An anonymous proxy server ("proxy") is a special type of server that acts as an intermediary between a home network and the rest of the Internet. An anonymous proxy server makes requests for Internet information on your behalf, using its own IP address instead of yours. Your computer only accesses Web sites indirectly, through the proxy server. This way, Web sites will see the proxy's IP address, not your home IP address.
Using an anonymous proxy server requires a simple configuration of the Web browser (or other Internet client software that supports proxies). Proxies are identified by a combination of URL and TCP port number.
Numerous free anonymous proxy servers exist on the Internet, open for anyone to use. These servers may have bandwidth traffic limits, may suffer from reliability or speed problems, or might permanently disappear from the Internet without notice. Such servers are most useful for temporary or experimental purposes.
Anonymous proxy services that charge fees in return for better quality of service also exist. These services are designed for regular use by households. Related Tools for Hiding Your IP Address

Several related software tools (both free and paid versions) support anonymizing proxies. The Firefox extension called "switchproxy," for example, supports defining a pool of proxy servers in the Web browser and automatically switching between them at regular time intervals. In general, these tools help you both find proxies and also simplify the process of configuring and using them.
The ability to hide an IP address increases your privacy on the Internet. Other approaches to improving Internet privacy also exist and complement each other. Managing Web browser cookies, using encryption when sending personal information, running a firewall and other techniques all contribute toward a greater feeling of safety and security when going online.

Soon, you won't even have to worry about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4_address_exhaustion