CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 10-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default 120v wiring for a camper

A friend wants me to wire a 120v plug and install 2 outlets in his camper trailer. I was wondering if I should connect the ground to the frame or not and if doing so would have any effect on the 12 volt trailer lights.

Basically I was thinking a weather proof "in box" plug on the outside wall with an in use cover, run pipe up the side and stub in over the counter to install a metal box with industrial plate and gfci receptacle. He would just plug in with a standard extension cord from the trailer to shore power. The 120v and 12vdc systems will not be interconnected.

What would be the best wire to use for protection against travel vibration? I was thinking SO cable.

I wanted to get some opinions on this.

Last edited by Funkyjunk; 10-15-2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: addition
Funkyjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-15-2010, 07:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,198

When I do horse trailers,I use mc cable.

bobelectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

I wired my trailer for both AC and DC supplies. I have an so cord hanging out the bottom of the trailer to connect to AC power with a transfer switch separating the AC feed from the inverter. If you use any kind of transfer switch type set up, make sure you separate the inverter neutral and the house/generator neutral. The electronics in the inverter may cause GFCI's to trip.

Depending on your load, you could probably run off of an inverter. I can get 12 hours of lights, fan, cell/ipod chargers, tv, and satellite of a small Toyota battery before inverter under voltage alarm goes off. I only fire up the generator for the microwave and air compressor.
knowshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 10:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

For an ac only outlet that is attached should I run a ground to the frame of the trailer?
Funkyjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

all the campers are grounded to the frame. the dc and the ac. so is the al outside. I have not seen one yet that isn't. Most camping trailors have a 30amp circuit 120v.
one2question is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to one2question For This Useful Post:
Funkyjunk (10-16-2010)