CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 06-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #1

Default Adding second meter for same property

Hey all, I have 2 customers here in California who want to add a second meter pedestal to a property with two homes on it. There both sharing the same address. I'm gonna talk to southern California Edison about this later today but I just wanted to get your guys thoughts on the matter. If it's legal or what steps myself or the property owner need to go through to get this done.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-24-2011, 12:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
Hey all, I have 2 customers here in California who want to add a second meter pedestal to a property with two homes on it. There both sharing the same address. I'm gonna talk to southern California Edison about this later today but I just wanted to get your guys thoughts on the matter. If it's legal or what steps myself or the property owner need to go through to get this done.
If all they want is a way to determine costs to each unit just install a private meter before the second houses main panel. You can buy them at most supply houses.

AFOREMA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Nothin' To Lose

2 meters, one address?
Old 06-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnettica View Post
2 meters, one address?
Utility most likely will not do it but what I suggested is common practice and legal.
AFOREMA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #5

Utility doesn't mind here in Frederick County MD....it's the county that won't let you do it. They don't like trailers etc on your property ....
kennydmeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:02 PM   #6

its probably related to zoning
Old 06-24-2011, 10:39 PM   #7
Spaghetti Cleaner

I have a cottage on my property with its own meter and same address.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:01 PM   #8
ET rocks

You're on the right first step. The power co. will let you know. In my area, the power co. allows multiple meters on same lot. They just set up a new meter account with the new meter number and the bill gets mailed to the same address. No big deal.

If they allow it, i'm sure they will have to approve the location.
3xdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:51 PM   #9
Heavily Armed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnettica View Post
2 meters, one address?
I have a job right now the customer wants a 200 amp service for their detached garage there will be 2 60amp heaters for glass blowers and other motor loads so it will be a new line to the garage and new meter.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:54 AM   #10

What if your property is zoned for both commercial and residential use? If you seperate the two I don't see why the poco would have a problem.
eutecticalloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:18 AM   #11

If you are using two meter with different perspective and treat them differently then you will not get any issue.

Petric is offline   Reply With Quote