CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 07-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #1

Default Aluminum to copper pigtails - options?

I have a customer that has aluminum wiring (70's home) and wants to do the copper pigtails. They sell the purple wire nuts for that i know, and some have used no-lox in regular wire nuts. I guess this is better than nothing, but not sure if its code approved. I know they make special crimps with a special crimper for them too. Heard you have to take a class to do it that way, (not sure). Anyone found the best way to do this? beside rewiring the whole house with copper. Is using the no-lox or purple wire nuts ok to use?
Thx,

alselec53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #2
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alselec53 View Post
I have a customer that has aluminum wiring (70's home) and wants to do the copper pigtails. They sell the purple wire nuts for that i know, and some have used no-lox in regular wire nuts. I guess this is better than nothing, but not sure if its code approved. I know they make special crimps with a special crimper for them too. Heard you have to take a class to do it that way, (not sure). Anyone found the best way to do this? beside rewiring the whole house with copper. Is using the no-lox or purple wire nuts ok to use?
Thx,
What code cycle are you on? Reason: they make aluminum rated devices still, just no tr ones afaik .

Old 07-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Don't use "regular" wire nuts unless you want to be sued and arrested when the fire starts..
nolabama (07-26-2012), The_Modifier (08-14-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 06:07 PM   #4

Purple nuts, not cheap but the only way to do it and CYA.
crazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyboy View Post
Purple nuts, not cheap but the only way to do it and CYA.
Not the only way to do it and CYA. I know other options. I talked about one above. There are more.
carryyourbooks (08-15-2012), TOOL_5150 (07-26-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
Can't Remember

Al COP connectors or find a Tyco contractor with the crimps.
nrp3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #7

There are only four ways of doing it. The first three require you to return and inspect the joints every year.

1. The first Is the crimping method that require you to be certified and to lease there tool.

2. Alumicon, it's a rated splicing box. However you need a torque screw driver $385.00.

3. Go to lowes you can get the receptacle and switchs that are rated for aluminum wire.
Remember the older boxes are small. So splicing won't work all the time.

4. And last re-wire the house. Tell the owner to stop being cheap and prevent a potential hazard.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:23 PM   #8

I had heard purple wire nuts weren't legal, only the approved crimps and crimper, and you can't get the crimper without taking the class unless you know someone, but I could be wrong. Also it seems like regular wire nuts with no-lox in them would be the same as the purple ones, other than the ends are more closed.
Anyway, sounds like a lot of extra wire nuts in a box, but beats a rewire.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alselec53 View Post
I had heard purple wire nuts weren't legal, only the approved crimps and crimper, and you can't get the crimper without taking the class unless you know someone, but I could be wrong. Also it seems like regular wire nuts with no-lox in them would be the same as the purple ones, other than the ends are more closed.
Anyway, sounds like a lot of extra wire nuts in a box, but beats a rewire.
Pretty much right, the screw inside is cut with square wire and that also helps to hold the wires together, but actually a tan twister is made the same.

The purple is to help get you off the hook. It costs more, but it has been tested and listed for the use, no matter what the guys who have an anti Ideal #65 website like to say about that.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #10

The purple nuts do nothing but cover your ass. The construction and materials are the same.

For a price, the manufacturer is willing to share the liability with you.

I hate having to use them but, as a contractor, I must.

If it was my house, I wouldn't lose a minutes sleep over it pigtailing with regular nuts.

I mean, if normal wirenuts are dangerous, why aren't they all burning up? The actual number of wirenut failures that I've come across isn't any more than with copper wire.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #11

It's who will certified and insure the customer.

If you can't have it insured then what's the point. Also can you do the work. Do you have coverage in your policy for this type of work.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #12

[quote=sparkie2010;772289]There are only four ways of doing it. The first three require you to return and inspect the joints every year.

1. The first Is the crimping method that require you to be certified and to lease there tool.

2. Alumicon, it's a rated splicing box. However you need a torque screw driver $385.00.

3. Go to lowes you can get the receptacle and switchs that are rated for aluminum wire.
Remember the older boxes are small. So splicing won't work all the time.

4. And last re-wire the house. Tell the owner to stop being cheap and prevent a potential hazard.[/QU

All sounds right, and seems like the aluminum rated recepts & sw are the best way to go, cost and conveiniance wise, besides a rewire..
So I guess purple wire nuts are not legal?
Old 07-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221
The purple nuts do nothing but cover your ass. The construction and materials are the same.

For a price, the manufacturer is willing to share the liability with you.

I hate having to use them but, as a contractor, I must.

If it was my house, I wouldn't lose a minutes sleep over it pigtailing with regular nuts.

I mean, if normal wirenuts are dangerous, why aren't they all burning up? The actual number of wirenut failures that I've come across isn't any more than with copper wire.
It's not the wire nut. It's over or under torquing.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #14
Ambassador of Amps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie2010 View Post
The first three require you to return and inspect the joints every year.
What?? Says who?

Advertising space available. Inquire within.
TOOL_5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #15

UL Listing.

Pick it up good read
Old 07-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #16

Quote:
It's who will certified and insure the customer.

If you can't have it insured then what's the point. Also can you do the work. Do you have coverage in your policy for this type of work.

I would think if it is legal to use, then it would be covered under ins.
Still not sure about the purple wire nuts being legal just because they sell them at Home Depot. but.. I actually agree that if you tighten them correctly they will last. And, common sense, and logic doesn't always mix with bueaucrocy or on paper.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #17
Ambassador of Amps

Quote:
UL Listing.

Pick it up good read
youre full of crap.

So what you are telling me is that if I do any of the first 3 things you mentioned in the list, I am required [with or without pay?] to come back in the peoples home and rip all the receptacles out and check the nuts?

Advertising space available. Inquire within.
TOOL_5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TOOL_5150 For This Useful Post:
Celtic (07-26-2012), mcclary's electrical (07-26-2012)
Old 07-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL_5150

youre full of crap.

So what you are telling me is that if I do any of the first 3 things you mentioned in the list, I am required [with or without pay?] to come back in the peoples home and rip all the receptacles out and check the nuts?

Yes, it's called maintenance. Ever heard of it
Old 07-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOL_5150 View Post
youre full of crap.

I don't think he's saying its required, just a good idea. There are lots of things that are good to do for extra safety that don't get done. Almost every house I see, I could find many things wrong, unfortunetly thats life, you can't fix everything.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #20
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Quote:
...The first three require you to return and inspect the joints every year....
If I can't trust something to operate safely without yearly supervision, I'm not going to install it.

But I would also like to see that in writing, because I think you're mistaken.

-John

Big John is online now   Reply With Quote