CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 07-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
Chairman of the Bored

Rewards Points: 2,016
Default amperage question regarding computers

What's the average computer workstation pull, amperage wise? That's with a generic 17" flat screen and a normal printer included.

BuzzKill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-12-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
NJ-IEC Member

Rewards Points: 2,036

Id say anywhere from 300-500 watts.

Magnettica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #3
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 2,034

If by "normal printer" you mean something other than a laser, I'd agree that 300-500 watts would be a good figure.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
Chairman of the Bored

Exactly. I got a small job to put 5 workstations on a dedicated circuit in some old commercial building. Whole work space runs off one 20 amp breaker that keeps tripping. I might run two for robustness-sake, incase a stray vaccum cleaner gets plugged in.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzKill View Post
Exactly. I got a small job to put 5 workstations on a dedicated circuit in some old commercial building. Whole work space runs off one 20 amp breaker that keeps tripping. I might run two for robustness-sake, incase a stray vaccum cleaner gets plugged in.
Good choice. If it's not a sweeper from the night janitorial, it will be one of those little heaters people put under their desks.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
Chairman of the Bored

It's a sad situation; I'd hate to do any troublewhooting there, the work is hap-hazard and been through dozens of remodels. One worker told me that when she prints at the same time her co-worker does, it trips the breaker, that and the vaccum cleaner pops it too. With just two workstations going the 20 amp for their space was running 17 amps in the panel.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

That's not surprising. My desktop laser printer (not even a big copier) draws 12A on it's lonesome.
cguillas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:11 PM   #8
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by cguillas View Post
That's not surprising. My desktop laser printer (not even a big copier) draws 12A on it's lonesome.
Yeah, laser printers are power hogs for short bursts. My big server only draws 900 watts, but the laser printer pushes the needle toward 20 amps.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:22 PM   #9
That Guy

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cguillas View Post
Wow, I had no idea......mental note.
Mr. Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:19 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Have ran into that problem with a small UPS and did a little research. Laser printers are amp hogs, and with all printers it is the paper feed which kicks up the amperage so much.

Had a 1000W UPS on a dedicated circuit that would kick off when printing. Only the printer, monitor and PC were plugged in. Turns out installing a powered USB hub fixed that problem. I still have no idea why it drew that much amperage through the USB and not the power supply, but it did.
chenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:28 AM   #11
Pure Evil

Rewards Points: 2,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenley View Post
Have ran into that problem with a small UPS and did a little research. Laser printers are amp hogs, and with all printers it is the paper feed which kicks up the amperage so much.

Had a 1000W UPS on a dedicated circuit that would kick off when printing. Only the printer, monitor and PC were plugged in. Turns out installing a powered USB hub fixed that problem. I still have no idea why it drew that much amperage through the USB and not the power supply, but it did.
UPS can be tricky this page explains a lot.http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/S...NQYL_R0_EN.pdf

drsparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:36 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
Yeah, laser printers are power hogs for short bursts. My big server only draws 900 watts, but the laser printer pushes the needle toward 20 amps.

I have not measured them in a while but at one time using a high speed recorder the RMS amperage average was between 30-45. This is for the drum heater (a tech told me) and as Marc noted is only for a second or 2 every 30-40 seconds. IN the early days of lasers instantaneous VD was an issue
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:09 AM   #13
Pure Evil

Rewards Points: 2,070

The "drum heater" is called the fuser, it gets hot fast, I burned my finger tips trying to remove a paper jam years ago.

drsparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:27 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Good choice. If it's not a sweeper from the night janitorial, it will be one of those little heaters people put under their desks.

Gotta love those "little" heaters.
I used to get dozens of service calls to banks. When I asked if there are any heaters plugged in they say no..
Then when I point it out to them they say.. Oh it's only a little energy efficient mirofurnace and does not use much power.
Right! 1500W is not much on a 15A circuit with a computer system plugged into it also
Those "little" Heaters tend to blow out the connections in the system furniture too..
Old 07-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Used to love that when your working in a empty building in the middle of the night and you keep see short amperage jumps in the panel..
First though was hey. Who messing with me.
Photo copiers do that too