CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 01-13-2007, 11:43 PM   #1
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 2,062
Default Apprentice tool list

This suggested apprentice electrician tool list courtesyof George Stolz, electrician and NEC consultant.

Last edited by MDShunk; 01-13-2007 at 11:48 PM.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MDShunk For This Useful Post:
aeggles (09-19-2011), CharlieJBB (01-30-2012), janagyjr (09-19-2011), T.Jack (09-06-2012), The_Modifier (12-01-2011)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-13-2007, 11:44 PM   #2
Wire Ninja

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MDShunk For This Useful Post:
aeggles (09-19-2011), CharlieJBB (01-28-2012), janagyjr (09-19-2011), T.Jack (09-06-2012), The_Modifier (12-01-2011)
Old 01-16-2007, 10:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I second the buy Klein idea. I carry the 19 pocket pouch as my trouble call pouch at the night job.
3phase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:02 PM   #4
Wire Ninja

When Klein starts making a 100 compartment pouch, it will be mine !

When I strap on the bags, I must look like a soldier going into battle.
The Following User Says Thank You to MDShunk For This Useful Post:
HARRY304E (12-01-2011)
Old 01-17-2007, 10:11 AM   #5

I frequently work out of boom lifts and scissor lifts and use a linemans bucket to carry parts up in it. Gets some strange looks and comments such as are yu feeding a horse? Evidently there is a collapsible horse bucket that is similiar to a linemans bucket. I forgot to add the Salisbury glove bag hanging form a back belt loop too.

Last edited by 3phase; 01-17-2007 at 10:41 AM.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:16 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3phase View Post
I second the buy Klein idea.

Most of my guys don't use Klein anymore. They have pretty much to a man switched to the Craftsman Professional line of tools for several reasons. First, the small gap in the nines when you close them sucks when working with small gauge or stranded wires or when your trying to grab the end of a fish tape, the Craftsman nines close completely. Second, they've got a nicer grip on them. Third, and most important, when they say lifetime warranty, they mean it. I can't tell you how many times my guys have taken a blown up set of pliers back to Sears and had them exchanged with NO fuss.

Do you guys really trust your helpers with a swivel screw driver. I've seen them slip too many times and jam a hole into drywall.
Bobbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:39 AM   #7
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyj View Post
Do you guys really trust your helpers with a swivel screw driver. I've seen them slip too many times and jam a hole into drywall.
Some people are really slick with those. I never really got the hang of those twisty screwdrivers. I don't own one. I used a Yankee driver for a good number of years, but switched to a cordless screwdriver a few years ago.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:03 AM   #8
K&R

I have a confession to make. It may not be the right way to do things but we auctually buy each man that has been here for 6 months all the tools on that list except the little hacksaw (we get real ones) and I add in the 14-2 and 12-2 strippers just because it speeds newer guys up with less wire damage. I also make them use the power fast strap guns because they are less likley to damage the wire (they work well for newer guys but older guys can often use staples better) I know I don't use it. I figure if they been here 6 months and it looks like they will stay it is a small price to pay. Some guy's even get their very own Ugly's book.
K&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:29 AM   #9
Town Drunk

Rewards Points: 2,000

I decided to try out the pouch shown above ("right hip") after using Klien leather ones for years. Can't say I care for it. For one, the tape holder thingy hangs right next to the front pocket where I keep my T-strippers and annoys me on a daily basis. Second, it's under a year old and the seams are already tearing. When its done, I'm going back to their leather pouches.
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:33 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to dw electric

I have a ? about the power fast strap guns.
Will the insulated strap hold three pieces of 12/2 or two pieces of 14/3 snugly like a staple will?
dw electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #11
NJ-IEC Member

Rewards Points: 2,036

Whats with that folding drywall saw?

Is that angle iron being cut... with a drywall saw?

WTH?
Old 01-23-2007, 05:46 PM   #12
Wire Ninja

Those Lennox folding saws are cool! I got one when they first hit the market. They take sawzall blades. I normally just have a plaster blade in mine, but I slip in a metal blade when I need to saw off the nails holding a wall box to the stud in an old work situation, for instance. It folds up like a jack knife. Worth a look! About 15 bucks.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #13

Main electrician tool is a teapot
DeepOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:54 PM   #14
Town Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepOne View Post
Main electrician tool is a teapot
Coffee pot for me!
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnJ0906 For This Useful Post:
cal1947 (09-21-2011), janagyjr (09-19-2011)
Old 01-30-2007, 09:27 AM   #15

John, I've carried one in industry for several years and it is still in good shape. Weighs roughly 12 lbs and is slung in the bottom of boom lift baskets and on the maint. go buggy all the time. Maybe you got a bad one.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:13 AM   #16
Ax grinder

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Coffee pot for me!
I second that I am no good with out my pot of coffee.

Chris
raider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raider1 For This Useful Post:
janagyjr (09-19-2011)
Old 01-30-2007, 08:57 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 500

I like that folding lennox saw, I don't have one, but have seen them around.

Why would make your guys buy an auger bit? or a hard hat and and safety glasses for that matter, isn't your ass if they're not properly protected?

Last edited by Joe Momma; 01-30-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Joe Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:12 AM   #18
IBEW Local 661 JW

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Momma View Post
I like that folding lennox saw, I don't have one, but have seen them around.

Why would make your guys buy an auger bit? or a hard hat and and safety glasses for that matter, isn't your ass if they're not properly protected?
On our tool list we are not allowed to have either power tools nor cordless ones. As far as PPE goes it is up to the contractor to provide it. On a side note I aint used a ship augar bit in years , have not wired a house in over 20 yrs...but I would not provide my own, like all drills they should be company provided IMHO.
Also I have seen more and more electricians in our Local switch from Klein to Craftsman. Mainly do to the no hassle warranty they have. I still like my Klein tools but I am losing reasons for sticking with them!!
Rong is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rong For This Useful Post:
troublemaker1701 (12-02-2011)
Old 05-18-2008, 06:32 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rong View Post
On our tool list we are not allowed to have either power tools nor cordless ones. As far as PPE goes it is up to the contractor to provide it. On a side note I aint used a ship augar bit in years , have not wired a house in over 20 yrs...but I would not provide my own, like all drills they should be company provided IMHO.
Also I have seen more and more electricians in our Local switch from Klein to Craftsman. Mainly do to the no hassle warranty they have. I still like my Klein tools but I am losing reasons for sticking with them!!
Glad to see someone fessing up about 'no power tools' on their tool list. On other threads, men have posted tool lists to include the sun, moon and the stars.

I was a rat contractor, and never required half of the stuff I see on lists now. Fair is fair.

Work'in For That Free Tee . . .
Old 05-18-2008, 07:47 AM   #20
"A" inside wireman

Send a message via Yahoo to randomkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rong View Post
What does your local have tool police that come out an inspect? I think it's up to me if I want a battery screwdriver or something else that makes my life easier.
If it gets broken it's my problem and or concern.

A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."

"One Nation Under God"
randomkiller is offline   Reply With Quote