Electrician Talk banner

Arc Flash Warning requirements

9K views 40 replies 8 participants last post by  sparky105 
#1 ·
Our electrical inspector in Sacramento is requiring arc flash warnings on all our electrical panels, gear and control panels. Square D says it is a requirement for the owners to deal with. Does anyone know how you get the labels and is testing required?
sse dave

#3 ·
Arc flash warning

The inspector refers us to Art. 110.16. This is where the requirement is in the N.E.C. We've just never heard of it before. We don't know why the manufacturer is not require to provide the labels. They say they would need the available fault current. We say: this was provided when we ordered the gear.
ssedave

#5 · (Edited)
#9 ·
Arc Flash

David Channel, I believe that there is someone on this forum to give you info. I will say that I have dealt with the compliance part extensively, and it is very expensive. Over 5000 bussplugs opened, and the fuses changed out to RK5s. Labeling all buss ways and with every buss plug receiving a number identifiable as to its whereabouts in the system and its purpose and its condition...useable or not, if it was not taken out of the system.

#13 ·
Arc flash warnings.

Oct. 2009
Since I placed this question to the forum, I have found out that all the inspector wanted was for us to install the arc flash warning lables that come with the panels. The lables are loose, not pre installed. He did not require us to measure anything. He apparently did not know that warning lables come in the box with the panels and thought we had to order them. We did order some additional lables because he did not like where we had placed some of them. I don't know why Square D said they don't supply Arc Flash Warning lables because they do.
This inspector was no fun. He also tried to get us to install 3/0 grounds to the Gas Station Panel even though all the circuits to it were 20amp with about 80 amps total, then he said we had to ground the car wash, a separate building with the 3/0 even though we had already grounded it based on the 400 amp panel. I had to show him in the code book how we determined our ground requirements. He finally backed off, but would not allow the #10 ground wires that were installed with the canopy ckts, even though we showed him we had thirty two 48" x 1" galvanized bolts in the conrete to hole the canopy columns. We had to add a #4 ground wire to a ground rod to add to the grounding of the canopy.
What fun.

#16 ·
There are 2 different types of labing required. The inspector is refering to 110.16 (I assume) and that only requires a basic arc flash waring label like the 2nd photo below.

Once the equipment is installed the owner is required (NFPA 70E article 130.3(C)) to provide a label on the panel that lists either the PPE required (Based on the table 130.7(C)(9) of the 70E, if the system meets the limits of the tables) or the Incident energy level based on the results of an arc flash analysis. See 1st photo for an example

Attachments

#17 ·
Arc Flash Labels

Thanks Zog, now I remember what the inspector said. When I asked him if there is a requirement to test 120/208 volt systems he said no, only 480 volts and higher. He never checked our plans to see that we had no voltage above 208 because he said he had never seen a commercial business with less that 480 volts. He has been an inspector for five years.?????? In 30 years I've only seen one gas station with 480 volts and we changed it to 120/208, I have seen a dozen or so 120/240 volt.
David

#20 ·
Thanks Zog, now I remember what the inspector said. When I asked him if there is a requirement to test 120/208 volt systems he said no, only 480 volts and higher.
David
I am confused here, what do you mean by "test"? How would any testing have anything to do with the subject here (Arc Flash)?

#23 ·
Arc Flash Labels

Thanks! It's good to know what voltage requires the arc flash calculations. Mostly here in our projects, we work with 120/208 but most of the residential in this area, Calif. is single phase 120/240. Does that mean they need to do the Calc's for Arc Flash?

David Channell SSE

PS. where do you find the requirement to do Arc Flash Calcs above 240 volts?

#24 ·
David Channell;136169 said:
Thanks! It's good to know what voltage requires the arc flash calculations. Mostly here in our projects, we work with 120/208 but most of the residential in this area, Calif. is single phase 120/240. Does that mean they need to do the Calc's for Arc Flash?
No, not required for residences.

PS. where do you find the requirement to do Arc Flash Calcs above 240 volts?
NFPA 70E, 130.3

#26 ·
We here, at our plant have to wear clothing conspicuously labled with a LEVEL ZERO at all times because of possibly having to open the door of a 480 volt panel. Does anyone else have that requirement?
Level 0 means squat, not FR, just non melting. Opening a hinged door on a 480V panel is HRC 1, bolted cover is HRC 4. That is if you are withing the limits of the tables which many 480V system in an industrial plant are not. Which means the actual levels are likely higher.

Sounds liek your plant is trying to make people think they are 70E compliant and have not done squat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.