CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 04-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #1
NRA Member

Rewards Points: 2
Default Available Fault Current

I got an estimate from a electrical engineering firm for an AIC calculation.
Feed from utiltiy to one 240 volt 3 phase panel board to a 150 kVA transformer to one 480 volt 3 phase panel board. I supply all spec sheets, they just do the calculation. Utility supplies their AIC at the pole. Estimate is $2000-$2500. What do you guys think or have experience with these costs from an engineering firm?

backstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-14-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 2,092

Unless you've got a bunch of load side rotating load (motors) or a generator that's effecting the calculation, I think that price is ridiculous. I'd expect to pay about 1/10th that, or maybe 250 bucks. Plus, you're doing all the legwork. They don't have to set foot on site. No, I vote you keep shopping.

MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
Unless you've got a bunch of load side rotating load (motors) or a generator that's effecting the calculation, I think that price is ridiculous. I'd expect to pay about 1/10th that, or maybe 250 bucks. Plus, you're doing all the legwork. They don't have to set foot on site. No, I vote you keep shopping.
No motors to speak of(air compressor, well pump and a crane). They won't leave the office for this. I wonder if buying the software for this would be a better option for me?
Old 04-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
Zog

Rewards Points: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstay View Post
Feed from utiltiy to one 240 volt 3 phase panel board to a 150 kVA transformer to one 480 volt 3 phase panel board. I supply all spec sheets, they just do the calculation. Utility supplies their AIC at the pole. Estimate is $2000-$2500. What do you guys think or have experience with these costs from an engineering firm?
AIC is a device rating, not available fault current.

But I am with Mark, if you are providing utility fault current and all the data that calculation should take about 1 minute, so $2k is way high. Why don't you just do a point to point calulation?
Zog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zog For This Useful Post:
Magnettica (04-14-2011)
Old 04-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,588

I wish I had the calculation but Bussman may have it on their web site.

I do these with a calculator once I have the utility number. Point to Point method is pretty close.

Maybe a web search on point to point method of short circuit calculations. There should be tranformer calcs and wire calcs.

Unless there are a lot or big motors this calculation should get you pretty close. I might look closer if the gear you would spec is really close to the max ratings.
IE if I found I got 40 KA and the O/C devices are 42 KA. but if my calcs were 28 and I was using 42 KA gear i would sleep very well and probably so would the inspector.
Mshea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog View Post
AIC is a device rating, not available fault current.

But I am with Mark, if you are providing utility fault current and all the data that calculation should take about 1 minute, so $2k is way high. Why don't you just do a point to point calulation?
I don't get into this very often, I have had an inspector ask once before and the utility was hard to deal with on getting any information. I have been waiting 3 days now for an answer from them. I will look at doing a point to point. This system will have maybe 30 feet of wire and pipe from the pole to last panel board. Thank you
Old 04-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 2,092

Posts all your info... utility fault current available, padmount dataplate stuff (particularly z's), wire type , size, and length between everything, conduit type, size and number, etc. Should be pretty easy to work out in this thread.

Nobody's wanting this on engineer's letterhead, are they?
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #8
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
Posts all your info... utility fault current available, padmount dataplate stuff (particularly z's), wire type , size, and length between everything, conduit type, size and number, etc. Should be pretty easy to work out in this thread.

Nobody's wanting this on engineer's letterhead, are they?
No letterhead required, CYA for me with the inspector, and I would like to know if I install this it will survive a fault. If the breaker rating on the 240 volt panel is not high enough, I will have to put in a fused disconnect and the price would go up. When(if) I get the numbers from the POCO, I will post them, do my own calc, and let you guys shred me!
Old 04-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
Zog

Rewards Points: 132

Remember on something basic like this you do nto need to be perfect, just close enough to be sure your AIC ratings on your equipment is adequate, if your calcs are borderline go up to the next AIC just to CYA.
Zog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #10
Ax grinder

Rewards Points: 1,000

HERE is a link to Mike Holt's site and the free stuff page. If you scroll down you will see a free Excel available fault current calculator that uses the point to point method.

Chris
raider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to raider1 For This Useful Post:
Magnettica (04-14-2011)
Old 04-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstay View Post

If you have all the data, use an on line calculator. Google

brian john is offline   Reply With Quote