CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 12-07-2009, 03:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation Average square footage costs

Good day all,

I hail from the caribbean (Trinidad) and I am an Elec. Project Manager (PMI/PMP Certified)/Estimator/Licenced Wireman. I am curious about what is the average square footage cost used for fomulating preliminary budget costs for commercial office buildings, etc. in the US.

Here in the caribbean, the basic SOW for an electrical contractor is not limited to strictly electrical works. I mean we have to supply and install items for Fire Alarm Detection, Security, CCTV, BMS, UPS Systems and Standby Generating Systems along with the infrastructure for same of course.

The reason I ask is because with today's market you get a number of client's wanting the best service for the lowest cost. While this understandable, I think it is fair to say that the electrical industry is the most labour intensive, most technical (along with IT) and has the highest risk involved.

So basically I guess I'm looking for some feedback from you guys as to some of the alternative methods you guys use to derive the average square footage costs and any helpful pointers.

stbernp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 12-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

Every job is different only ,a fool would use square foot pricing,especially for a commercial job.

Sq ft pricing MAY work in a Resi development where every house is exactly the same.

Don't give them a price until they give you a set of plans. Do a take off and give them a price.

Last edited by robnj772; 12-07-2009 at 03:32 PM.
robnj772 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robnj772 For This Useful Post:
Semi-Ret Electrician (12-23-2012)
Old 12-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Here we go again.
Mountain Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hey stbernp did you seach this topic before you started this thread?

There are like 1,000,000,000,000 like it already all with the same outcome.

Its almost but not quite as bad as the power saver threads
robnj772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
Certified Estimator

Rewards Points: 250
Default sq ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbernp View Post
Good day all,

I hail from the caribbean (Trinidad) and I am an Elec. Project Manager (PMI/PMP Certified)/Estimator/Licenced Wireman. I am curious about what is the average square footage cost used for fomulating preliminary budget costs for commercial office buildings, etc. in the US.

Here in the caribbean, the basic SOW for an electrical contractor is not limited to strictly electrical works. I mean we have to supply and install items for Fire Alarm Detection, Security, CCTV, BMS, UPS Systems and Standby Generating Systems along with the infrastructure for same of course.

The reason I ask is because with today's market you get a number of client's wanting the best service for the lowest cost. While this understandable, I think it is fair to say that the electrical industry is the most labour intensive, most technical (along with IT) and has the highest risk involved.

So basically I guess I'm looking for some feedback from you guys as to some of the alternative methods you guys use to derive the average square footage costs and any helpful pointers.
This is the worst approach to electrical estimating. The variables to wiring methods alone would scare most people away from this. I have seen typical electrical square foot prices go from the low $8.00 sq ft to over $50.00 sq.ft. The last office space 6500 sqft all emt 6-60a heat pumps, 2 panels and 1 transformer existing office renovation with inexpensive 2x4 fixtures works out to be $10.50 per foot
The Estimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:35 PM   #6

Hey guys thanx for the response. I only just registered to the forum today, so I really didn't look for similar topics.

Whilst I'm sure it may be a frequent question, I on the other hand am looking at it from a different perspective. Firstly, I must apologise for being vague. Let me explain

For the the 13 years I've been in the electrical/construction industry (in the caribbean) I've come to realise that in today's ever changing, demanding and not to mention very competitive market we have the following players:

1) The client who expects to get the best/highest quality finish within a fixed budget.
2) The designers (Architects/MEP Consultants & Engineers) who provide SOWs with
high end specifications and limited options for approved equals.
3) Main contractors who never seem to get their timelines/milestones right.
4) The Dependancies i.e. the other service trades who rely on the elec. contractor to
co-ordinate between them.
AND last but not least
5) The electrical contractor. Who has to contend with various overheads, bankers,
labour issues and of course...the most technical trade in any construction project.

So when you have a client who demands that they get a rolls royce type project done within a hyundai budget; designers who send out RFPs with SOWs requiring high end specified items, unrealistic deadlines and preliminary budget costs that don't come near to what the real costs are when you submit your bid, what do you do?

Do you,
a) review and revise your costs to try and reach a middle ground i.e. give a discount?
b) reject the project in it's entirety?

Whilst I understand the difference in scales of the types of project, methods of approach and overhead costs between the US industry and the caribbean industry, I believe the basic concepts are the same.

Thus my original question of the average sq. ft costs. It was an attempt to get some sort of comparitive idea as to what is used throughout the international industry.

I hope this helps.
stbernp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
NJ-IEC Member

Rewards Points: 2,036

Champaign taste/ beer money... same as in the states.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #8

the problem is no 2 electrician price the same a real busy electrician my set a high price while a guy just looking for work my give it away. besides competing with craiglist electricians is impossible i lose every time and i am reasonably priced per hour

NWVaughn is offline   Reply With Quote