CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #1
Fried Bologna um um good!

Rewards Points: 2,000
Default Bucket truck rate per hour

I know some of you guys own bucket trucks. How much more above your regular rate do you charge if any? I was looking around as I get a few calls a month for parking lot light maintenance. I was considering leasing a bucket truck until I saw this....We get more than that just showing up in a van. I know ballasts and other repairs cost additional but it seems the labor will always be 89.95 an hour.......

Bucket Truck Services
Providing Service throughout the Greensboro, Charlotte & Wilmington Areas
Changing Pole Lights is a Snap for
S******* Electric. And Just $89.95 Per Hour.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #2

Seems that guy is seriously under charging for his bucket truck. From what I understand they need to be certified and maintained(at least any I use). I'd recommend not competing with him at the same level. I think if you have customers neededing bucket work that you might be able to schedule them on the same day or days and rent equipment more economicaly. That's my gut feeling unlesss you can really keep that truck rolling.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #3

Bucket Truck Services
S******* Electric. And Just $89.95 Per Hour.[/quote]

Plus milage, minimum 4 hours, tool rental, manpower charge, fuel surcharge, 1000% markup on material, air fee?

He is making it up somewhere.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post

Bucket Truck Services
Plus milage, minimum 4 hours, tool rental, manpower charge, fuel surcharge, 1000% markup on material, air fee?

He is making it up somewhere.[/quote]

You are probably correct about the minimum. I think a phone call is in order.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjrw
I know some of you guys own bucket trucks. How much more above your regular rate do you charge if any? I was looking around as I get a few calls a month for parking lot light maintenance. I was considering leasing a bucket truck until I saw this....We get more than that just showing up in a van. I know ballasts and other repairs cost additional but it seems the labor will always be 89.95 an hour.......

Bucket Truck Services
If you don't know then don't start doing lighting. All we need is another idiot thinking he knows how to pull a circuit so surely he can do lighting now.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjrw View Post

He is making it up somewhere.

You are probably correct about the minimum. I think a phone call is in order.[/quote]
I think you worry to much what others are charging.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Rewards Points: 4,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rewire View Post
I think you worry to much what others are charging.[/quote]

He is being smart to check prices before signing a lease for a bucket truck..

I see nothing wrong with doing your homework before signing the dotted line..
brian john (06-05-2011), CraigV (06-06-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Rewards Points: 4,000

My quote button is having problems or it just doesn't like who it quotes..
brian john (06-05-2011), robnj772 (06-05-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4T View Post
He is being smart to check prices before signing a lease for a bucket truck..

I see nothing wrong with doing your homework before signing the dotted line..[/quote]
So you let lowballers influence your decisions? I wouldn't worry about what others were charging I would be more interested in looking at the "need" for a servce.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
Wire Ninja

Don't buy a bucket truck. They're a money pit, in my opinion. I figured it up, and you need to keep one busy at least 9 days a month to at least break even. I'm at 150/hr for the truck, plus the normal hourly rate for the man. Granted, it's used mostly on fixed price work, so the price per hour for anything doesn't really come into play. Parking lot light work is very often fixed price work.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:58 PM   #11

Quote:
I think you worry to much what others are charging.[/quote]

I could care less what you or anyone else charges. We are a high end contractor and don't compete with anyone. I want to know what the "going rate" is to see if it is worth the investment. Unlike you I run a very profitable electrical contracting company. I think before I do anything that involves spending money. I may be an idiot but I've grown our business every year since I took over. Even in a recession.
brian john (06-05-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 150

When you call ask him to FAX over his insurance certificate. Might as well ask if he can trim a few trees, restring the flagpole and paint it too.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #13
Wire Ninja

Bid the work and hire the 89 dollar guy to do it.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MDShunk For This Useful Post:
CraigV (06-06-2011), dronai (06-05-2011), jwjrw (06-05-2011), MarkyMark (06-05-2011), millelec (05-25-2014), samgregger (05-20-2014)
Old 06-05-2011, 02:00 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:

I could care less what you or anyone else charges. We are a high end contractor and don't compete with anyone. I want to know what the "going rate" is to see if it is worth the investment. Unlike you I run a very profitable electrical contracting company. I think before I do anything that involves spending money. I may be an idiot but I've grown our business every year since I took over. Even in a recession.[/quote]

Nicely put!!!!!!

Now will the response be a photo of deposit slips or the handful of 20's

Last edited by robnj772; 06-05-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:

I could care less what you or anyone else charges. We are a high end contractor and don't compete with anyone. I want to know what the "going rate" is to see if it is worth the investment. Unlike you I run a very profitable electrical contracting company. I think before I do anything that involves spending money. I may be an idiot but I've grown our business every year since I took over. Even in a recession.[/quote]
Sorry but this is your second post complaining about what someone else charges if you are so high end then you should be able to just roll in the cash when you get a truck
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Rewire For This Useful Post:
Bugsy88 (05-20-2014)
Old 06-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
Don't buy a bucket truck. They're a money pit, in my opinion. I figured it up, and you need to keep one busy at least 9 days a month to at least break even. I'm at 150/hr for the truck, plus the normal hourly rate for the man. Granted, it's used mostly on fixed price work, so the price per hour for anything doesn't really come into play. Parking lot light work is very often fixed price work.

I was considering a lease. I have several large hotels and churches we already service. I'm almost to the point where I could keep one busy 9 days a month. Some months I rent a lift 3 times. Still making money but the 3 rentals is more than a truck lease. Have to wait for delivery etc. I was assuming the cost would be about what you said. That's why I was sorta shocked to see that web site. I know what it takes an hour for us to operate without a bucket truck. I'm going to call and feel them out. If it is indeed that cheap I might have to hire them as subs....
Old 06-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #17
Wire Ninja

Buy a junky 5 or 6 thousand dollar 30 foot telescopic to test the waters if you think this is something you seriously want to get into. FWIW, I bought my small one here: www.buckettrucksusa.com They give them a "DuPont overhaul", if you know what I mean.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #18

You might compare the cost of a bucket truck to operating a van. Does it make more financial sense to send the the truck out on some non-bucket needed service calls to keep it moving? Probably the truck you would get would be pretty large to be able to set poles. Might not work well for normal service call work. But you could also use it for doing aerial work. Overhead services and what not. If you have or have thought about buying other equipment a large bucket truck could probably transport that equipment. Back hoes, bob cats, scissor lifts. Also could swing by the rental place with your large trailer and pick up other rented equipment. Not sure if it's worth paying a guy and buying a trailer to avoid delivery costs.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #19

Quote:

I could care less what you or anyone else charges. We are a high end contractor and don't compete with anyone. I want to know what the "going rate" is to see if it is worth the investment. Unlike you I run a very profitable electrical contracting company. I think before I do anything that involves spending money. I may be an idiot but I've grown our business every year since I took over. Even in a recession.
Sorry but this is your second post complaining about what someone else charges if you are so high end then you should be able to just roll in the cash when you get a truck[/quote]

First I complained about an unlicensed company advertising for electrical installs. That was the issue. I don't care what they charge. I don't roll my cash up....I throw it at loose women......
Old 06-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #20

Quote:
. I don't roll my cash up....I throw it at loose women......
I think you just fish for ideas on here sometimes. A lot of the guys on ET think that because a guy posts a question he doesn't have a clue. Most of us already have a very good idea of what we are doing and are just "fishing" for more ideas or verifying something we think we know.

The Following User Says Thank You to nitro71 For This Useful Post:
MDShunk (06-05-2011)
Closed Thread