Can I use old breaker panel as a sub panel - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By Majewski
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 1 Post By Signal1
Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 11:30 AM   #1
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2
Default Can I use old breaker panel as a sub panel

We put an addition on old home and when adding on put in new 200 amp service on far end. Old breaker box is now like a subpanel with wiring to a few items we didn't have access to either because of wiring or walls. Anyway old panel has mostly 220 breakers in it. Stove. Dryer. Hot water heater and 3 small 110 breakers to kitchen. I went to get a breaker for dryer that was flaky and they say they are no longer accessible. Said they were stab lok or something. My panel says Wadsworth on it. They say these caused a lot of fires at one time. So I was wanting to buy a new midsize panel at and replace. When they added to this one they didn't separate neutral and ground on bus bars on old panel. I read that this should be done. What would I need to do to put in a new panel to replace this old one?
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2016, 11:49 AM   #2
Click Here

Rewards Points: 4,636

"What would I need to do to put in a new panel to replace this old one?"

Hire an electrician.
electricguy, Majewski and MikeFL like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to HackWork For This Useful Post:
Majewski (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 11:49 AM   #3
Big nosed attic troll

Rewards Points: 1,600

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshall361 View Post
We put an addition on old home and when adding on put in new 200 amp service on far end. Old breaker box is now like a subpanel with wiring to a few items we didn't have access to either because of wiring or walls. Anyway old panel has mostly 220 breakers in it. Stove. Dryer. Hot water heater and 3 small 110 breakers to kitchen. I went to get a breaker for dryer that was flaky and they say they are no longer accessible. Said they were stab lok or something. My panel says Wadsworth on it. They say these caused a lot of fires at one time. So I was wanting to buy a new midsize panel at and replace. When they added to this one they didn't separate neutral and ground on bus bars on old panel. I read that this should be done. What would I need to do to put in a new panel to replace this old one?
Call an electrician, that's the best thing anyone on here will probably have to say. Oh... Ibtl
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Service Call (07-09-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 03:46 PM   #4
Deplorable-Electrician

Rewards Points: 17,446

Yuppers, just about that time to go call a professional that does this stuff fer a livin. IBTL
Majewski likes this.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:45 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 460

If that old panel that's "now like a sub-panel" used to be service equipment, it is most likely fed by the wrong type of cable now.

You need an electrician. Sorry marshall but we can't help you here.
Majewski likes this.
Closed Thread