CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 10-03-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
Conservitum Americum

Rewards Points: 2
Default commercial rated vs residential ballasts

Please explain to me the difference between a commercial rated ballast for two T8 flourescent tubes in a light fixture vs a residential rated.

I replaced a 2011B with one I purchased at the "orange store". The 72273 is marked, "not for residential use".
Here is the link to the ballast specs.
http://genet.gelighting.com/LightPro...ent_Electronic

Am I not to assume a commercially rated item is more robust?

Long story short, I wired it according to the directions it came with and it works better than the two still existing "residential" 2011B's next to it.

Your thoughts?

LARMGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
I void warranties

Rewards Points: 2,142

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARMGUY View Post
Your thoughts?
I would not get all worked up about it.

Last edited by Jlarson; 10-03-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Jlarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
Canadian

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARMGUY View Post
Please explain to me the difference between a commercial rated ballast for two T8 flourescent tubes in a light fixture vs a residential rated.

I replaced a 2011B with one I purchased at the "orange store". The 72273 is marked, "not for residential use".
Here is the link to the ballast specs.
http://genet.gelighting.com/LightPro...ent_Electronic

Am I not to assume a commercially rated item is more robust?

Long story short, I wired it according to the directions it came with and it works better than the two still existing "residential" 2011B's next to it.

Your thoughts?
$12 at the whole saler against $28 at the orange store.
kevmanTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #4
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 2,068

I rembmber in the mid 80's when tubes of clear silicone were marked in large letters "for licensed professional use only".
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote