CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #221
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.E.
Posts: 16,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4T View Post
UF cable is rated for direct burial.. the conductors inside of the cable have to be rated for the same environment..
That's absurd. If I bury PVC conduit, which is rated for DB, do I need to install direct burial conductors in it as well? Of course not.

Quote:
You can't get to the conductors without removing the outer covering and IMO it has to be the same construction material that makes up the cable assembly itself..
Again this is absurd.

Quote:
THWN would be rated for direct burial if it was part of a cable assembly labeled UF.. since it is moisture resistant
If you say so. THWN is not listed or rated for direct burial.

user4818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #222
Nothin' To Lose
 
Magnettica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rahway, NJ
Posts: 14,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter D View Post
OK, let me state it again, so you get it this time - if you don't use a listed direct burial method to splice UF cable, then you need to use a box.

So far nobody has been able to prove that these wire nuts are listed for direct burial use with UF cable. Therefore, you need to use a box.

Is that clear enough for you?
The question is does the box need to be listed for use with fertilizer.
__________________
Be persistent, transparent, and more importantly, on time.
Magnettica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:35 PM   #223
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.E.
Posts: 16,081
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnettica View Post
The question is does the box need to be listed for use with fertilizer.
user4818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #224
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.E.
Posts: 16,081
Default

I'm out. Time for bed.
user4818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #225
Donuts > Fried Eggs
 
Big John's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portland
Posts: 14,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4T View Post
....THWN would be rated for direct burial if it was part of a cable assembly labeled UF.. since it is moisture resistant
I haven't been following this whole thing, but I will say that a water-resistant rating is totally different than direct-burial rating.

Very often SJ and SO cords are type "W" water resistant and without a doubt if you bury that cord it will rot away in pretty short order.

I don't know what has to be done to make insulated DB rated, but it's more than just a water proofing.

-John
__________________
Spend $86 to keep yourself safe. Always wear your gloves.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #226
Nothin' To Lose
 
Magnettica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rahway, NJ
Posts: 14,087
Default

^^

"Carlon box expert"
__________________
Be persistent, transparent, and more importantly, on time.
Magnettica is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnettica For This Useful Post:
B4T (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 09:46 PM   #227
Heavily Armed Member
 
HARRY304E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Reporting from the east coast of Moonbatchusetts..
Posts: 39,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter D View Post
I'm out. Time for bed.
Don't go to bed..
__________________
ES2 Flat Rate Software
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #228
Can't Remember
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 4,858
Default

Beat this horse some more tomorrow?
nrp3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #229
Heavily Armed Member
 
HARRY304E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Reporting from the east coast of Moonbatchusetts..
Posts: 39,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp3 View Post
Beat this horse some more tomorrow?

What type of horse is it..
__________________
ES2 Flat Rate Software
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #230
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 870
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4T View Post
DB wire nuts don't need a box and can be in direct contact with dirt..
Let me see if I got this straight. Your saying that since UF-B is listed for direct burial, so are all the THHN conductors contained inside.

Then by your logic it would be absolutely no different to take a piece of PVC jacketed MC rated for direct burial and making splices to the THHN/THWN conductors using those DB wire nuts. Because the jacketed MC assembly is UL rated for direct burial, then by extension so are the inner THNN conductors that magically maintain the direct burial rating when they extend past the protective jacket/armor.

Am I following your logic correctly?
Mike_586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #231
Moderator
 
Dennis Alwon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 14,905
Default

From UL White Book

Quote:
CONDUCTOR TYPES
Sealed wire-connector systems are intended for use with Types USE,
RHW, XHHW, RW90 EP, RW90 XLPE or TWU, 30 AWG through 2000 kcmil
copper or aluminum conductors with currents not exceeding the ampacity
of insulated conductors rated either 75 or 90C and intended for use at 600
V or less.
When so marked, sealed wire-connector systems may also be intended for
use with conductors of single- or multiple-conductor underground feeder
cable (Type UF), golf course sprinkler cable, underground low-energy cable,
irrigation cable, or other cable with insulation acceptable for direct burial,
below grade use, or wet locations.
From Ideal

Quote:
Usage

WARNING:
One time use only. Do not reuse
Wiring must comply with all applicable electrical codes.
For use on copper wire only. Do not use on aluminum wire.
Not for use in continuous submersion applications.
Also From Ideal

Quote:
Applications

Low-voltage landscape lighting
Lawn-sprinkler control systems
Sump and well pump installations
Ejection pumps
Valve control boxes
Utility tracer line applications
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dennis Alwon For This Useful Post:
B4T (04-26-2011), HARRY304E (04-26-2011), Mike_586 (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 10:02 PM   #232
Heavily Armed Member
 
HARRY304E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Reporting from the east coast of Moonbatchusetts..
Posts: 39,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
I haven't been following this whole thing, but I will say that a water-resistant rating is totally different than direct-burial rating.

Very often SJ and SO cords are type "W" water resistant and without a doubt if you bury that cord it will rot away in pretty short order.

I don't know what has to be done to make insulated DB rated, but it's more than just a water proofing.

-John
300.5 ( E )States that conductors shall permitted to be spliced Direct buried.
So what type of conductors are they if not with the designation "w".?



(E) Splices and Taps.
Direct-buried conductors or cables
shall be permitted to be spliced or tapped without the use of
splice boxes. The splices or taps shall be made in accordance

with 110.14(B).
__________________
ES2 Flat Rate Software
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #233
B4T
Scotchkote Installer
 
B4T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Posts: 30,628
Default

[quote=Mike_586;436269]Let me see if I got this straight. Your saying that since UF-B is listed for direct burial, so are all the THHN conductors contained inside.

Then by your logic it would be absolutely no different to take a piece of PVC jacketed MC rated for direct burial and making splices to the THHN/THWN conductors using those DB wire nuts. Because the jacketed MC assembly is UL rated for direct burial, then by extension so are the inner THNN conductors that magically maintain the direct burial rating when they extend past the protective jacket/armor.

Yep.. you got it..


(E) Splices and Taps. Direct-buried conductors or cables
shall be permitted to be spliced or tapped without the use of
splice boxes. The splices or taps shall be made in accordance
with 110.14(B).

DB wire nuts are a UL listed splice cap..
__________________
Welcome to ET.. where the clowns don't need a tent to try and make people laugh.. http://steelturman.typepad.com/photo...f_clowns_2.jpg
B4T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #234
B4T
Scotchkote Installer
 
B4T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Posts: 30,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
From UL White Book


CONDUCTOR TYPES
Sealed wire-connector systems are intended for use with Types USE,
RHW, XHHW, RW90 EP, RW90 XLPE or TWU, 30 AWG through 2000 kcmil
copper or aluminum conductors with currents not exceeding the ampacity
of insulated conductors rated either 75 or 90C and intended for use at 600
V or less.
When so marked, sealed wire-connector systems may also be intended for
use with conductors of single- or multiple-conductor underground feeder
cable (Type UF), golf course sprinkler cable, underground low-energy cable,
irrigation cable, or other cable with insulation acceptable for direct burial,
below grade use, or wet locations.

Dennis.. so now do you agree that DB wire nuts are code compliant and would pass inspection?
__________________
Welcome to ET.. where the clowns don't need a tent to try and make people laugh.. http://steelturman.typepad.com/photo...f_clowns_2.jpg
B4T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #235
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 870
Default

For some reason this one has me a little engaged. I guess being at home for the last few months, and the weather sucking bad today, I just didn't have much else to do (Shoulder is mostly healed up and I'm cleared to go back to work in a couple weeks...I'm looking forward to it.)

Back to the topic at hand....

Most of the specs I saw heavily suggest the inner conductors in UF-B are either THHN or THWN, several wholesalers descriptions described it as THHN. Just about every manufacturer listed only the outer jacket as the one with the extra moisture, mildew and sunlight resistant properties.

Comparing THHN or any other wet/dry type of conductor to direct burial conductors like USE-2, RWU, TWU or single conductor UF-B to name a few and there's a pretty massive difference in insulation thickness. A #14 of any of them would look more like a #10 to #8 THNN.

There's just absolutely no way those conductors in UF-B could be mistaken for any single conductors I've ever seen that are direct burial rated.

A dozen pages without straying off topic...

...this has got to be some kind of ET record
Mike_586 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike_586 For This Useful Post:
B4T (04-26-2011), HARRY304E (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 10:26 PM   #236
Moderator
 
Dennis Alwon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 14,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4T View Post
Dennis.. so know do you agree that DB wire nuts are code compliant and would pass inspection?
Now I agree that are compliant and would pass inspection but not if the uf conductors are exposed.

Look at the applications-- doesn't seem to even allow line voltage underground. Not sure whether they listed all applications or not. Also the usage says to follow all codes. I still say the conductors are not DB so you cannot leave the UF stripped underground without a listed splice kit.
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #237
B4T
Scotchkote Installer
 
B4T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Long Island, N.Y.
Posts: 30,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_586 View Post
For some reason this one has me a little engaged. I guess being at home for the last few months, and the weather sucking bad today, I just didn't have much else to do (Shoulder is mostly healed up and I'm cleared to go back to work in a couple weeks...I'm looking forward to it.)

Back to the topic at hand....

Most of the specs I saw heavily suggest the inner conductors in UF-B are either THHN or THWN, several wholesalers descriptions described it as THHN. Just about every manufacturer listed only the outer jacket as the one with the extra moisture, mildew and sunlight resistant properties.

Comparing THHN or any other wet/dry type of conductor to direct burial conductors like USE-2, RWU, TWU or single conductor UF-B to name a few and there's a pretty massive difference in insulation thickness. A #14 of any of them would look more like a #10 to #8 THNN.

There's just absolutely no way those conductors in UF-B could be mistaken for any single conductors I've ever seen that are direct burial rated.

A dozen pages without straying off topic...
...this has got to be some kind of ET record
It all goes back to the rating of the conductors inside the UF.. this spells out the requirements for those conductors..

340.112 Insulation. The conductors of Type UF shall be
one of the moisture-resistant types listed in Table
310.13(A) that is suitable for branch-circuit wiring or one
that is identified for such use. Where installed as a substitute
wiring method for NM cable, the conductor insulation
shall be rated 90C (194F).
__________________
Welcome to ET.. where the clowns don't need a tent to try and make people laugh.. http://steelturman.typepad.com/photo...f_clowns_2.jpg
B4T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #238
I void warranties
 
Jlarson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 12,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
Look at the applications-- doesn't seem to even allow line voltage underground. Not sure whether they listed all applications or not.
I think that applications list is more of a target list. Like hey buy our nuts, they are perfect for applications a, b, and c because of reasons x, y, and z.
__________________
The best never stop learning.


Last edited by Jlarson; 04-26-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Jlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #239
I void warranties
 
Jlarson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 12,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4T View Post
Dennis.. so now do you agree that DB wire nuts are code compliant and would pass inspection?
I'm gonna add some fuel to the fire here. The part in the UL section about multi-conductor UF may actually be referring to un-jacketed multi-conductor. Its separate UF conductors, marked as such twisted together into a cable.
__________________
The best never stop learning.

Jlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:34 PM   #240
Heavily Armed Member
 
HARRY304E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Reporting from the east coast of Moonbatchusetts..
Posts: 39,497
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_586 View Post
For some reason this one has me a little engaged. I guess being at home for the last few months, and the weather sucking bad today, I just didn't have much else to do (Shoulder is mostly healed up and I'm cleared to go back to work in a couple weeks...I'm looking forward to it.)

Back to the topic at hand....

Most of the specs I saw heavily suggest the inner conductors in UF-B are either THHN or THWN, several wholesalers descriptions described it as THHN. Just about every manufacturer listed only the outer jacket as the one with the extra moisture, mildew and sunlight resistant properties.

Comparing THHN or any other wet/dry type of conductor to direct burial conductors like USE-2, RWU, TWU or single conductor UF-B to name a few and there's a pretty massive difference in insulation thickness. A #14 of any of them would look more like a #10 to #8 THNN.

There's just absolutely no way those conductors in UF-B could be mistaken for any single conductors I've ever seen that are direct burial rated.

A dozen pages without straying off topic...

...this has got to be some kind of ET record
This is only page 5 for me ,

I have mine set for 50 posts per page just for major League Threads like this..

__________________
ES2 Flat Rate Software
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
direct burial dispute 1idejim General Electrical Discussion 51 04-11-2011 03:20 PM
direct burial dispute 1idejim General Electrical Discussion 2 04-08-2011 01:34 AM
Old Wire nuts 480sparky Vintage Electrical 30 02-25-2011 08:30 AM
direct burial of THWN Electron_Sam78 General Electrical Discussion 18 02-01-2011 02:23 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:43 PM.


Copyright 2006-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com