CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 07-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Default Doublewide Mobile Home wiring

Was tracing down a short to ground in a doublewide today, and noticed that all of the recepatacles were wired from the ceiling instead of around the perimeter of the room like you see in stick built houses. I haven't worked on the wiring of mobile homes, and I know they pretty much do their own thing at the manufacturer, but I am wondering if there are some in general types of things that are common on mobile home wiring. Also, being these are factory built, do they tipically have a copy of the electrical plan available at the manufacturer?

Also, when changing out a bad switch, etc, and a like kind of the crap switches they make isn't available, is it ok for us to install an old work box, etc. per the NEC, or do we have to go by the mobile home section in the code?

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 07-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #2

We have to go by the mobile home section in the code. It is a mobile home after all.

JohnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchvac View Post
Was tracing down a short to ground in a doublewide today, and noticed that all of the recepatacles were wired from the ceiling instead of around the perimeter of the room like you see in stick built houses. I haven't worked on the wiring of mobile homes, and I know they pretty much do their own thing at the manufacturer, but I am wondering if there are some in general types of things that are common on mobile home wiring. Also, being these are factory built, do they tipically have a copy of the electrical plan available at the manufacturer?

Also, when changing out a bad switch, etc, and a like kind of the crap switches they make isn't available, is it ok for us to install an old work box, etc. per the NEC, or do we have to go by the mobile home section in the code?

I always cut out the inline devises and add an old work box and new switch.
mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

If it is a double wide, it might have these to splice romex:
http://www.te.com/catalog/products/en?q=nm+splice

which I believe can legally be buried splices in the walls, ceilings,
etc. per the mobile/manufactured home article in the NEC.

These have been discussed here before, and most believe they
are not a good idea. Manufactured home companies use them,
and some brag about it because "you don't need an electrician
to hook them up."

Last edited by rexowner; 07-24-2011 at 10:16 AM.
rexowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:33 PM   #5
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000
Default UL listing

Those were made legal by people on the board that figure people in mobile homes are sub-humans and get their own code.
Cletis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cletis For This Useful Post:
JohnR (07-24-2011)