CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 10-25-2009, 10:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default EC License in Florida

Hello,

First let me say this is a great forum and I'm a long time reader. I recently moved to Florida and had some questions about the licensing.

I did some research and found that I need at least 4 years experience in order to qualify to test. Now, I don't have the time put in yet but wanted to know where I stand with my situation. And I have no problem putting my time in.

I went to an electrical trade school, then worked for an electrical contractor for 1 year before being laid off. This was, however, in a different state. Now I work for a great company that has a general contractors license but we work in the electrical trade. Does this time count?

I'm not looking to set up shop any time soon, just want to know my options. Thanks

steel sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-25-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
Licensed Journeyman

Rewards Points: 2,000

i cant swear to what florida does but i think its verifiable EC work only - i hear fla is very strict with their licenses and if you dont have the experience now is not the best economic climate to learn in (to be an EC that is)

Old 10-25-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
BR549

Rewards Points: 2,048

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel sparky View Post
Hello,

First let me say this is a great forum and I'm a long time reader. I recently moved to Florida and had some questions about the licensing.

I did some research and found that I need at least 4 years experience in order to qualify to test. Now, I don't have the time put in yet but wanted to know where I stand with my situation. And I have no problem putting my time in.

I went to an electrical trade school, then worked for an electrical contractor for 1 year before being laid off. This was, however, in a different state. Now I work for a great company that has a general contractors license but we work in the electrical trade. Does this time count?

I'm not looking to set up shop any time soon, just want to know my options. Thanks
Interesting to hear that a GC is doing electrical work.
You will need to get a County license and work up from there.
You will need W-2s to prove you worked for an EC or ER.
Dont even think about 1099s
jrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:35 PM   #4
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Rewards Points: 4,000

I never heard of a GC doing electrical work without a license where the AHJ has license mandate
Old 10-25-2009, 10:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolabama View Post
i cant swear to what florida does but i think its verifiable EC work only - i hear fla is very strict with their licenses and if you dont have the experience now is not the best economic climate to learn in (to be an EC that is)
nolabama, thanks for the reply. I believe your right, and it makes sense, as far as being verifiable. And believe me I found out quick EC's are really hurting for work. I was lucky to find a good paying job still in the field. I just wanted to know if this counts towards a EC license of my own, should I ever try to persue.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black4Truck View Post
I never heard of a GC doing electrical work without a license where the AHJ has license mandate
First, I should clarify. We sub all electrical work out. We do mostly automation and controls. This is in an industrial work environment.
Old 10-25-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
BR549

Rewards Points: 2,048

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel sparky View Post
First, I should clarify. We sub all electrical work out. We do mostly automation and controls. This is in an industrial work environment.
You will need to prove that you worked for an EC.
GCs dont count.
jrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #8

i felt like i had passed the exam just by being accepted to take the exam. and yes its very tuff . you also have to show a certain amount of three phase experience to be accepted
ampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
Licensed Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampman View Post
i felt like i had passed the exam just by being accepted to take the exam. and yes its very tuff . you also have to show a certain amount of three phase experience to be accepted
how do you do that - and how much three phase experience do the want

this is the devils post #666
Old 10-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #10

Quote:
how do you do that - and how much three phase experience do the want

this is the devils post #666
i had to drive all around town to jobs i had completed and write down addresses and what work was preformed some was new const. some was service work i think i listed about 30 jobs
ampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #11
Licensed Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampman View Post
i had to drive all around town to jobs i had completed and write down addresses and what work was preformed some was new const. some was service work i think i listed about 30 jobs
that would suck
Old 10-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 250

40% of your job experience has to be 3-phase servive work.You need 6yrs trade,4yrs supervisory,and 3yrs management-15,20,or 30 jobs should be listed.If you have been on 1 jobsite for the entire than you can break up what you worked-( sevice,fire alarm,lighting,sub-distribution etc.) It took me 15 months to get my license
cobra50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #13
Licensed Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra50 View Post
40% of your job experience has to be 3-phase servive work.You need 6yrs trade,4yrs supervisory,and 3yrs management-15,20,or 30 jobs should be listed.If you have been on 1 jobsite for the entire than you can break up what you worked-( sevice,fire alarm,lighting,sub-distribution etc.) It took me 15 months to get my license
so thats 13 years anyway you cut it - and i hear that they dont reciprocate with anyone is that true
Old 10-26-2009, 05:22 PM   #14

Quote:
so thats 13 years anyway you cut it - and i hear that they dont reciprocate with anyone is that true
Not 100% sure...I herd nc,tx,cal.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra50 View Post

Are you saying it was 15 months total work experience or 15 months for the total testing and paper work process? All of my work has been with 3-phase service work, and still is. All they request is an address you worked at? What exactly are they looking for?

I'm just trying to find the exact rules for applying for an EC license.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:26 PM   #16
Master, inspector, plans

Default Eddyskin

Go online to Myflorida.com. Click on DBPR (department of Business and Professional Regulation) Click on apply for exam and then read the requirements. It is easier to get an ER license than a EC license, cost less too. For an ER license you will need to find a city or county Building department that will sponsor you. Look into taking classes at Contractors Institute in Hudson. Other locations are available. They have a staff that will guid you through to process. Lots of hard work. Good Luck.
wdwelecinsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwelecinsp View Post
Go online to Myflorida.com. Click on DBPR (department of Business and Professional Regulation) Click on apply for exam and then read the requirements. It is easier to get an ER license than a EC license, cost less too. For an ER license you will need to find a city or county Building department that will sponsor you. Look into taking classes at Contractors Institute in Hudson. Other locations are available. They have a staff that will guid you through to process. Lots of hard work. Good Luck.
Yes contractors institute was very helpful.They helped me get through both tests.They are also located in the orlando area.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #18

Quote:
They do reciprocate with NC. I received my FL license based on the reciprocity agreement with NC, but it was vey difficult to do. It took me over 12 months, and numerous documents that they required. I can only hope that NC makes it as difficult on FL contractors trying to reciprocate, because the level of assistance I received from DPOR, or the FL Board, was practically zero.
acwservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:02 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 75

I agree that mrflorida.com/dbpr is the best place to find info on FL licensing. You need 6 yrs of field experience, verifiable with W-2s and getting your old bosses to sign verification papers that you did work for them, so hopefully you left your previous jobs on good terms. You do also need to show the 3-phase experience as mentioned with a job list, the job list is something like 5 jobs per year for each of the six years (30 jobs total, complete with addresses, GC info, start/stop dates of jobs, etc.), plus felony and credit checks, you need to show assets of over 10K I think it was.

Best advice you will get is to download the information off myflorida.com, they have lot of instructional documents for getting through the process, good luck, you'll need it.
nyerinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwelecinsp View Post

Thanks, one more question. I am in Lee county and when I look for ER license I find nothing on their county website. I do find 'Certificate of Competency" where they list JE or Journeyman electrician. Are these licenses the same?