CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 04-28-2008, 09:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default electrical exam town of hempstead n.y.

Has anyone taking the electrical exam for town of hempstead N.Y. for master electrician license. Having already passed the first written part wondering if anyone has info on practical part.

rknrll813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-02-2008, 09:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

I am not licensed in Hampstead; however, I called Long beach and they told me that the practical or board portion is just an interview process they might ask question of what you do in particular situation or just to see if you have your head on straight. I am not positive as the gentleman I talked to did not sound too sure of himself. I suggest dressing up for the occasion probably in a nice business suit to really set the impression that you know what you are doing. If you have good experience and passed the written Hampstead exam which is supposable easier than the Long beach exam then I don't think you will have a problem. I called (516)431-1000 they sent me to the building dempartment where I found out this info.

I hope this helps.

14awg.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:02 AM   #3

Default I need a voucher signed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknrll813 View Post
Has anyone taking the electrical exam for town of hempstead N.Y. for master electrician license. Having already passed the first written part wondering if anyone has info on practical part.
I'm a Master Electrician in Suffolk county and just had my app. denied by town of hempstead because i coulndt get my second voucher signed. Any help? email is segarraelectric@optonline.net. i live in westbury any any help would be great thanks
segarraelectric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #4

can you use the electrical calculator with electrical keys on hemstead master
gizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
Dr Evil

Rewards Points: 2,208

Is the owner of Frank Electric still on the licensing board ? Nassau sucks, 17 licenses to complete the county, and you hope you're a Nassau resident. As a suffolk res w/ that hemp I find it easier to pay off friends for some of these stupid villages and cities that hold their own . Good luck.
Shockdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Rewards Points: 5,570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdoc View Post
Is the owner of Frank Electric still on the licensing board ? Nassau sucks, 17 licenses to complete the county, and you hope you're a Nassau resident. As a suffolk res w/ that hemp I find it easier to pay off friends for some of these stupid villages and cities that hold their own . Good luck.
Maybe the SCECA will grow a pair of balls and ask their "brothers" about reciprocating across county lines.

It sucks when you use the same NEC and same inspection agency and you need a passport to work there.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
NJ-IEC Member

Rewards Points: 2,036

The Nassau County thing is bad news.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnettica View Post
The Nassau County thing is bad news.
It is a joke they can get away with it for so long and nobody challenges it
Old 03-03-2010, 11:12 PM   #9
NJ-IEC Member

Rewards Points: 2,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black4Truck View Post
It is a joke they can get away with it for so long and nobody challenges it
Maybe it's time for an inflatable rat.
B4T (03-04-2010), LawnGuyLandSparky (03-04-2010)
Old 03-04-2010, 08:46 AM   #10
Dr Evil

Quote:
Maybe the SCECA will grow a pair of balls and ask their "brothers" about reciprocating across county lines.

It sucks when you use the same NEC and same inspection agency and you need a passport to work there.
Suffolk is heading in the same direction, with political correctness of course... The Southhampton yearly work permit with sticker that must be displayed. I'm sure Smithtown will follow eventually. Now here's one for you island guys who are familiar with Islips beauty codes. Recently bid a new home on Ocean Ave. , complete with UG service. Noticed the cut throat electrician installed an OH service....How ????
Old 03-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #11
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdoc View Post
Suffolk is heading in the same direction, with political correctness of course... The Southhampton yearly work permit with sticker that must be displayed. I'm sure Smithtown will follow eventually. Now here's one for you island guys who are familiar with Islips beauty codes. Recently bid a new home on Ocean Ave. , complete with UG service. Noticed the cut throat electrician installed an OH service....How ????
I would gladly pay a fee to work in a Nassau Town.. you could call it a Electric Permit that is good for only (1) time for $50.00, using my Suffolk License as certification.

I live in Islip Town and I never heard of the beauty code you speak of.

If the other EC put a OH service and it is connected, you were mis- informed by someone.

Smithtown already requires a building permit to do electrical work and the other towns in Suffolk will soon follow.

All these "fees" just get passed onto the customer and is included in pricing the job.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:13 PM   #12
Dr Evil

Quote:
I would gladly pay a fee to work in a Nassau Town.. you could call it a Electric Permit that is good for only (1) time for $50.00, using my Suffolk License as certification.

I live in Islip Town and I never heard of the beauty code you speak of.

If the other EC put a OH service and it is connected, you were mis- informed by someone.

Smithtown already requires a building permit to do electrical work and the other towns in Suffolk will soon follow.

All these "fees" just get passed onto the customer and is included in pricing the job.
Funny you said that, it cost me $350 a while back to get a onetime license in Scranton ,PA using my Suffolk county license. Islip has had a code for the past 3 years or so that all new services on new residential (and probably commercial) structures be installed underground. Go figuire, a UG service in Brentwood, The island is a jungle for survival. The Smithtown law can sometimes be a problem concerning commercial work, you will find that for something as simple as setting a pole, running a drop, and installing a mast the town will require archetectural drawn plans. Throws a wrench in your plans and profits .
Old 03-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
I agree! Wish NYC license was reciprocal with Nassau and Suffolk too.
GDK 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #14

Default hempstead license

it has been a while. did you ever get your license? A good electrician deserves help from his friends and I am very willing to help and put in my two bits to get you past the exams.
kapakahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #15

Question electrical exam town of hempstead n.y.

I never knew that agencies were involved in anything more than competent inspections.
You use as many or as few as you are comfortable with.That is actually good buisness.
I'd get chills from anyone who promised anything more than a qualified inspection...,I mean...,if they 've got you thinking you're under their thumb..,well what would happen if that agency got upset with you.
You should count on the fact that you do good work these days--not that you use 1 agency.
What would happen if that agency suddenly goes in a different direction
and you've got all "Your Eggs" in that vanishing basket?
no1else is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #16

Default oyster bay test

i took the oyster bay test and passed the written and failed the practical . i wasnt able to go back because of my fatherinlaw who just passed away no the town of oyster bay is saying i have to take the written over again . what kind of **** is that . has anybody heard of that ? i might have to give my fiend who is an attorney
PERKSELECTRIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #17
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERKSELECTRIC View Post
i took the oyster bay test and passed the written and failed the practical . i wasnt able to go back because of my fatherinlaw who just passed away no the town of oyster bay is saying i have to take the written over again . what kind of **** is that . has anybody heard of that ? i might have to give my fiend who is an attorney
If you are not a resident of Nassau County... they will do everything possible to keep you out... they don't want anymore competition...
Old 11-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #18
still in business

Rewards Points: 2,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERKSELECTRIC View Post
Aren't all attorney's fiends??
Old 11-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #19

Default Oyster Bay

I took the Oyster Bay. First time they sent me a letter I failed at like 65% (I forgot the exact number). I put in for a review and they sent back I have to put in a FOIL request. I did that and they scheduled a review. When I got there the chairman sat with me. He gave me the answer page with my answers but without the questions. I said, "No questions! Is this a joke?" He answered that they can't share the questions because they still use that version of the test. Basically, take it or leave it. I saw they had changed my score from the first letter to an 81%. I went through the wrong answers and I was able to remember the questions. I challenged their answers but to no avail. The next time I took the Exam I got a 98%. I have a small idea why they marked me wrong because of a word "far" which is not defined in the code. So, correcting this one this would be a fight. They then wrote me saying I have to send in money for the practical. They responded that they don't have the 2013 schedule yet they will notify me when I am scheduled. That was a few months ago. All this is a joke. If I lived in Hempstead (where I have a license) and had my business in Hempstead for two years by law they would have to reciprocate. Since when does where a person have his business make a difference in their qualifications? I will take their practical and pass it. Somehow the system in Nassau is going to have to change. It would be a good idea to change the system for the entire state of New York, also.

Last edited by kapakahi; 11-15-2012 at 08:26 AM. Reason: grammatical error
kapakahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #20

Default oyster bay test

it should be one license just like my pa license is state wide

PERKSELECTRIC is offline   Reply With Quote