CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 04-01-2010, 09:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Electrical Licence Pennsylvania

Hi all,

I am relocating to South Central PA and so can't find out anything about a state licence there? Is it done bu county, if so can some one let me know about Adams County do they have a procedure in place?

Also what is the work situation like there is it picking up are people busy again?

Regards

colin2496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via ICQ to kbsparky Send a message via AIM to kbsparky Send a message via Yahoo to kbsparky

PA has no state license. Each city, town, township, or county has their own rules -- some of `em are real anal about licensure, others don't require any.

You are about to enter the snake pit of licensing there....

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 250

where in Adams County are you moving to?

I am in fairfield, just south of Gettysburg

work for me is OK here in Adams County, but most jobs i do are in MD
oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 2,034

I am not aware of any jurisdictions in Adams county that require licensing. I just finished up a fire job in Gettysburg a short while ago.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
Professional Nit Picker

Rewards Points: 1,082

I'm just below adams county in Maryland.
Ride up there all the time on the motorcycle.
No license requirement in that neck of the woods.
manchestersparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
PA has no state license. Each city, town, township, or county has their own rules -- some of `em are real anal about licensure, others don't require any.

You are about to enter the snake pit of licensing there....
All these Townships are a PITA!!
BIGRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:04 AM   #7

I am moving to Littlestown, I guess it would pay to have an MD license then? IS there a web site where I can find out which counties require a license?

Thanks all
Old 04-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #8
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin2496 View Post
I am moving to Littlestown, I guess it would pay to have an MD license then? IS there a web site where I can find out which counties require a license?

Thanks all
The MD licensing might be a little rough to get in short period of time if you're moving down from Canada. They have county licenses and a state license, I believe. I still don't completely understand Maryland's system. I used to have a Washington County, MD license, but I let it drop. I hardly ever get there anymore. The few jobs I do in MD, I just sneak in and out.

Are you going to work for a contractor or yourself? If you're going to work for someone, don't sweat the licensing too much right away.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #9

I thought It might be, although I was hoping to use my 18years experience to count towards my Master license in MD, I still have my certifcate from trade school and everthing from that point onwards!
I would like to start up on my own again as I am working for someone up here and I'm not finding it easy, I previously had my own company for 6yrs.
So to work in Adam's county then do I just need liability insurance and off i go right?

What is the hourly rate down there, here it is about $65 Per hour depending on the job of course.
I know there is much on here about that and how it is an individual thing, just wonder what the market average is roughly.

Thanks all
Old 04-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
Wire Ninja

In Adams County, the wages are fairly depressed. You'll find many guys working in the 40-ish dollar an hour range. I have no idea if they're making any money at it, though. Adams county is mostly a bedroom community. Few people actually work there that live there. It's mostly orchards and Gettysburg. No real industry.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #11

thanks MD Shunk,

I know the area my wife's folks live there and it is beautiful if not a bit quiet. Are you over towards Chambersburg then?

Hopefully I'm gonna try to get work in the Hanover area too.

Are you a contractor too?
Old 04-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #12
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin2496 View Post
Are you over towards Chambersburg then?
yessir, I am.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #13

So in terms of starting up on me own in that neck of the woods what would i need to do??
Old 04-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 524

If your going to work for yourself in Pa. you'll need a Pa. home improvement contractor's license and Liability insurance. $52.00 for two years for the HIC license.
jw0445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #15

Great thanks JW
Old 04-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #16
Professional Nit Picker

Colin-
I would get some current letters verifiying your experience prior to moving.
This will help with you license application. The more recent the letters the better. Get the letters on company letterhead, signed by the license holder, and include any license numbers and contact information.

Here's how it works in Maryland:

You can sit for the state test which is given daily in a couple locations through out the state OR you can sit for one of the counties tests. The counties offer their tests every 3 or 4 months.

Here comes the confusion............

When you pass the State test you are a State Licensed Master Electrician. When you pass a county test you are a licensed Master in that county only. So far it's pretty straight forward, BUT heres comes the confusion so pay attention closely.

The State license is a NON-WORKING license. This means you can not use it to pull any permits. You will need to have a license in each county you want to pull permits in.
The advantage to having the STATE License is you can pick up any counties license by just filling out the paperwork and paying the fee's. You use the State license to Reciprocate each counties license.You can use the state license to reciprocate a county license as many times as you wish.
Example: I got a job in Washington County but do not have a Washington County License. I fill out the paperwork, pay the fees, prove insurance and I will get my Washington County License. Now if I don't have any work anymore in Washington County and do not plan on doing any there, I can just let the Washington County License expire. Now lets say 4 years later I get another project In Washington County. I just do it again, fill out the forms, pay the fee prove insurance and boom I have a washington County license again.

Now lets say you take a county Test and get their license. You can use that counties license to reciprocate the State license. Just fill out the paperwork, pay the fee's ,prove insurance and boom you will have a State license.
You can also use a county license to reciprocate every other county for their license too, BUT you can only reciprocate from county to county one time. Lets say you pass Carroll Counties test and get the Carroll County License. You can use it to reciprocate Baltimore County (or any of the other counties in the state and Baltimore city) But if you let that Baltimore county license expire, you can not obtain a Baltimore County License by reciprocating from any other county.

Thats why it's best just get the State license up front and be done with it.
Old 04-02-2010, 04:07 PM   #17
Professional Nit Picker

Colin-
For information on obtaining a Maryland License and your experience being in Canada I would contact:

Gae Herzberger
Department of Labor,Licensing and Regulation
Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing
500 North Calvert Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21202-3651

(Phone)410-230-6270
(Fax) 410-333-6314
email: electric@dllr.state.md.us

Website: http://www.dllr.state.md.us/license/elec/eleclic.shtml
Old 04-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #18

Thanks for the advice and just for the record I managed to follow that I think!!
I would be arriving in June I think. Any idea on market hourly rate in MD just a ball park?
Old 04-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #19
Professional Nit Picker

It really depends on what your doing ( service, residential, commercial) and where. The prices have been all over the place, so I'm being told.
I am a commercial electrical inspector myself, after 26 years in the field.
My State license is listed as: Inactive - Inspector, my Carroll County Is still active
Litttlestown is a pretty nice place, I'm up there all the time as I'm only 15 miles away.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:11 PM   #20

Ok thanks for all ya help I would be doin anything I could a license for as I have a broad experience.