CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 10-13-2009, 07:49 PM   #1

Default Electrical Trainee Card??

Hey everyone,
Im wondering about the electrical trainee card. I just got it from L&I and i know that its counts for my hours. But how exactly does it work. Im currently waiting for the apprenticeship to call me for work (which they said it will be after Jan before they start hiring new apprentices) but in the mean time im working for a Union company as a material handler. So my questions: How exactly will my hours be put on my card? Will it count for my hours for my apprenticeship? And does that mean i can do apprentice work under a journeyman??

Also hello to anyone from local 76.

drbrbhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
Semi-Retired

The WA L&I system of issuing one of these cards to just about anyone with a pulse and $35 allows just about anyone to get hired by an EC and be "recognized" as allowed on the work site. JM ratio issues are then handled just about like anywhere else (ha!).

To answer your question (wild guess here) your hours will be kept track of through company payroll and the local business office. (ask them if no one else has more)

Old 10-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #3

Alrighty, that answers most of my question. As for my work as a material handler, does that change. Or is it still going to be the same till i get my saftey and orientation class?
drbrbhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #4

obama "change"!
Old 10-13-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrbhoy View Post
Alrighty, that answers most of my question. As for my work as a material handler, does that change. Or is it still going to be the same till i get my saftey and orientation class?
moving up from material handler to actual tool and wire and hardware handler happens a whooooooole lot faster on a NON UNION job.

No telling when they'll get around to giving you a promotion.
(to shovel handler)

Ask the foreman.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
Master Apprentice

The union follows a different set of rules than non-union so I am not very familiar with their system. In Washington (speaking of non-union) your hours are kept by the employer and when you go to renew your trainee card, you will sign (along with your employer) an affidavit of hours. That is how the information gets to L&I.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:35 PM   #7

The union is totally different in how they handle there apprenticeship and hours. Once you get your 4000 hours you can register to take your residential test. Doesnt matter if you glued pipe and dug trenches for all those 4000 hours, if you can pass the test, thats all that matters to the state, but you would not last very long with a company. You need to be sharp and pay attention and study the code,
mikeg_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:47 AM   #8

The apprentice card allows you to legaly be performing electrical work while supervised by a journeyman while working for a electrical contractor.

I don't know if union shops handle affidavits of experience differently or not. If you are non-union you would have to submit affadavits of experience signed by you and the employer then submit them to the state attesting to your hours worked. You usually do this when laid off or or every two years, whichever comes sooner.

I don't know if your hours working as a material handler will count towards the 8000 you need. It sounds like they hired you outside the union apprentice program but are a union contractor. If that's the case I think you'll be hard pressed to get them to call you a apprentice for the work you are doing. Plenty of time to earn hours later. Union apprentices make good money and work pretty steady.

nitro71 is offline   Reply With Quote