CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 02-23-2009, 10:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question Electrocuted in water?

Can you be electrocuted while floating in water? Spacifically while floating and not in contact with any other thing than water. Salt water? Fresh water? This obvousley matters. I want to actually see this proven on paper by math. Lets consider all possible scenarios. This is my first post my name is Mike! Hello everyone!

mexsrfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-23-2009, 10:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 510

Yes Mike, you can. There are studies and stories about this. You can read about some of them at Mike Holt.com. The most recent I remember was a mother and daughter electrocuted while swimming near their boat at a dock. I think what happens is the current (no pun intended) paralyzes your muscles and you drown.

Joefixit2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome to the forum, and you sure can be shocked or electrocuted while swimming or floating in the water.
william1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by william1978 View Post
Welcome to the forum, and you sure can be shocked or electrocuted while swimming or floating in the water.

No. I don't believe that you can because of your conductivity, compared to water. I am taking a ABYC electrical certification class for recriational boaters. They are claming that divers are susceptable to electric shock under certian conditions. I don't think that this could happen if you are suspended in water. I believe if this were possible it would be most likely to happen in distilled water, certianly not salt water.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:51 PM   #5

I also believe that only shore power could shock you, not a generator or inverter onboard. Because onboard power sources are isolated from earth ground, therefore there is no circuit.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:04 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,002

There have been a couple of Mike Holt newsletters about people being electrocuted while swimming around dock areas.

Pretty much all were related to components becoming energized.

Here:
http://www.mikeholt.com/newsletters....27@hotmail.com

Last edited by Speedy Petey; 02-23-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:12 PM   #7
It's not my fault.

Rewards Points: 75

Here's a neat trick. Pull the plug wire off your jet ski and hold onto it while you are cranking the engine over and standing in the water.

you will swear it's possible to be electrocuted in the water.

Arc Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 11:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angle View Post
Here's a neat trick. Pull the plug wire off your jet ski and hold onto it while you are cranking the engine over and standing in the water.

please film it. I'm on your side.
leland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:13 AM   #9

Quote:

So its possible with high voltage, 10000 plus volts (maybe up to 60000 volts on a spark plug). This means that lightening can kill you in the water too. What about 120VAC?
Old 02-24-2009, 02:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
There have been a couple of Mike Holt newsletters about people being electrocuted while swimming around dock areas.

Pretty much all were related to components becoming energized.

Here:
http://www.mikeholt.com/newsletters....27@hotmail.com

This was a good read. I did confirm my suspicion of water chemistry having a great deal to do with this. I noticed that there is not one recorded incedence in salt water.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:47 AM   #11

Quote:

This "experiment" puts the user in touch with something other than water - not what the scenario the OP stated. But again, it is possible and depends if you're in the path of the current or not - not a chance I'd want to take.
bjp_ne_elec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:53 AM   #12
Proud Navy Veteran

Rewards Points: 500

Being a diver, I can tell you you will get lit up in the water. Mine came from retrieving a 12VDC marine battery that went overboard, not a fun experience. As far as a boats generator/inverter, there is a path to ground. Marine boats/ships are theoretically an ungrounded system but, the reality is, there is a ground through inductive/capacitive coupling. Trust me that is one of the hardest lessons to understand as a Navy Electrician. Even an outboard power boat with an inverter can get you while in the water, the outboard is your path to ground.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:44 AM   #13

I witnessed someone being shocked my a boat lift standing in water, it was not to bad but I could tell he was not faking it.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:53 AM   #14
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 2,108

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexsrfr View Post
No. I don't believe that you can because of your conductivity, compared to water. .....
What's the largest single component of the human body? Water. Now, admittidly, water (and I mean pure water here) tends to be a rather good insulator. But mix it with other stuff (impurities), and it get's pretty good at conducting electricity. If your body is 72% water, then the rest of the stuff that makes you up (again, 'impurities') will turn you into a conductor.

If you're in water, and the water is conducting electricity, you will conduct electricty as well. Will you get electrocuted? Depends on the circumstances and all the variables involved.

Open up your book to chapter one, and look under Ohms' Law, Parallel circuits.

Last edited by 480sparky; 02-24-2009 at 11:56 AM.
480sparky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 150

Typically electrocution occurs when the person in the water attempts to leave the pool. Even if they do not use the metal pool ladders concrete does not cure for about 100 years so it still contains moisture even when dry.
Shaffer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 2,034

One of my client's dauughter was electrocuted in a lake.

Their sailboat mast came in contact with a high voltage overhead power line crosing a small bay area by the marina. I guess sparks were flying like crazy and the father thought he was doing the right thing by tossing her away from the boat. When she was obviously in trouble he jumped in too.

He was airlifted and survived, she did not.
220/221 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
One of my client's dauughter was electrocuted in a lake.

Their sailboat mast came in contact with a high voltage overhead power line crosing a small bay area by the marina. I guess sparks were flying like crazy and the father thought he was doing the right thing by tossing her away from the boat. When she was obviously in trouble he jumped in too.

He was airlifted and survived, she did not.
That would be very very very tough to live with.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:27 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 2,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by william1978 View Post
That would be very very very tough to live with.
I don't even like thinking about it.
Speedy Petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
I don't even like thinking about it.
Me either!!
Old 02-24-2009, 07:35 PM   #20

I just want to thank everyone that replied to my thread.