CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 02:59 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to kbsparky Send a message via AIM to kbsparky Send a message via Yahoo to kbsparky
Question Energy saving box or hoax?

I recently received a solicitation to purchase a new-fangled power conditioning box. They claim energy bill savings up to 25%.

I seem to remember similar items in the past, such as "green plug" devices that you would plug your refrigerator into. I believe that those devices did realize some energy savings, IF the appliance was an older type.

The newer "energy star" appliances supposedly already have similar circuitry built-in, and installing one of these black boxes would not result in significant energy savings.

So, my questions are:

1) It this simply a glorified power-factor correction device?
2) Are my assumptions and understandings about such devices accurate?
3) Has anyone (Consumer Reports, etc) done any controlled testing to see if there really is significant energy savings from these devices?
4) Do you have any experience (good, or bad) with this or similar devices?

-KB

Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-01-2008, 03:32 PM   #2
Master Electrician

my first guess is someone invented this and is trying to cash on on people trying to turn "green" its probably a piece of crap that doesnt work

Old 06-01-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
Don't like know it alls

" Save UPTO 25 % on electricity bills " doesnt mean you are going to save that much.

So even if you save 1 or 2 % its still a saving.

I'm always doubtfull about energy savings devices,there is usually a catch.
Reading the brochure it sounds very much like a cheap version of a power factor improvement device with surge protection included.

The best way to save energy is to switch stuff off

Could be a nice little earner for someone playing on average joes need to save a dollar !

Chris
Old 06-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #4

Consider pay back time@1%
Old 06-01-2008, 05:37 PM   #5

Send a message via ICQ to kbsparky Send a message via AIM to kbsparky Send a message via Yahoo to kbsparky

I figure at $300, it appears to be over priced. But then again, has anyone actually tested one of these to measure actual performance?
Old 06-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #6
DGFVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
I recently received a solicitation to purchase a new-fangled power conditioning box. They claim energy bill savings up to 25%.

I seem to remember similar items in the past, such as "green plug" devices that you would plug your refrigerator into. I believe that those devices did realize some energy savings, IF the appliance was an older type.

The newer "energy star" appliances supposedly already have similar circuitry built-in, and installing one of these black boxes would not result in significant energy savings.

So, my questions are:

1) It this simply a glorified power-factor correction device?
2) Are my assumptions and understandings about such devices accurate?
3) Has anyone (Consumer Reports, etc) done any controlled testing to see if there really is significant energy savings from these devices?
4) Do you have any experience (good, or bad) with this or similar devices?

-KB
It is a "patented " power-factor correction device. Here is a look see of one I took apart because it kept tripping a 30 amp circuit breaker.
And it was sealed for our protection.
Attachment 525

Last edited by John; 06-09-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:47 PM   #7

Did you ever figure out what was tripping it?
Old 06-01-2008, 06:00 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

I've also installed this power factor device on my own home (power save was the company)and found that it drew a constant 7amps and my electric bill was actually higher than lower. I guess it's good for some applications apparently not mine.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:03 PM   #9
DGFVT

Nope. Customer didn't know anything about it and considered it not worth the time or money to find out....just wanted it taken out. Might have been the breaker because I couldn't see anything really wrong inside the box.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:53 PM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
I figure at $300, it appears to be over priced. But then again, has anyone actually tested one of these to measure actual performance?

Just as an added note, I bought one for my neighbor also for a testimonial because i was thinking about this as a profitable option. After a few months I asked if he noticed any difference in his electric bill and his reply was"yeah, after I disconnected the damn thing"
Old 06-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #11
Town Drunk

Here is an interesting paper written on this subject.

http://www.snapdrive.net/files/50779...ons%5B1%5D.pdf
It's not my fault, it's not my problem, I'm not your solution.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:22 PM   #12

Without even looking I can say 100% HooDoo VooDoo CRAP. If any one device could REALLY save money it would be a #1 sales item and the company would be on legitimate news big time.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:06 PM   #13
Electrical Contractor

If anyone wants to try one of them send me an email and I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping. jstokes@chesterelectrical.com I have 2 of them
Old 06-02-2008, 08:31 AM   #14

Gentlemen: Just for the record THERE ARE NO FREE LUNCHES, but dinners on me.

Wirenut....Not sure where in Chester but my son's GF lives there...I drive through but have never stopped.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:48 PM   #15
Electrical Contractor

Wirenut....Not sure where in Chester but my son's GF lives there...I drive through but have never stopped.[/quote]

Right off Exit 58 (Walthall) honk when you drive through
Old 06-27-2008, 09:52 PM   #16
Registered Member

Default power factor hoax or not

i agree with thats its cheap its not what they say it is , when i went to school i was told any power used to do work must return to ground ,you use it and waste part of it doing work loss to resistance , if you can get rid of that part resistance you might have a good product ,its not going to happen in our life time . but think of this you say powerfactor if you use a computer it messes up your power factor real bad in your line if you use lots of computers on your power line , it trashes the line it messes with your watt meter like it doesnt read real total wattage it chops it up ,the ac sine wave you dont get a real peak clean sine wave its trash, but i guess it would take 300 lab tops to make a power saver . but the power company would be paying for that power you actually used even if your watt meter did not total up the bill. your still using it just your meter cant read it correctly , but trashing you line to save power is bad for your other electrical stuff like just pay your bill and live your life.nothing is free it takes energy to make energy i would like some day to see free power for everyone havent found that yet but if i did i dont think i tell.would you?//
Old 07-09-2008, 09:46 PM   #17
resi-guy

My company actually sell and installs this product and have had customers see over 35% savings on their bill from the same month last year.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:59 PM   #18

Can you prove that it was the installation of your product that caused the "savings"?

Other factors such as the weather, different uses, demand factor reset, etc can also affect utility costs. Who is to say that other factors did not contribute?

I would like to see some independent lab test the effectiveness of these products. Using the same loads for the same amount of time under controlled conditions.

Its been my experience that large users of electricity that are interested in substantial energy cost savings would be implementing multiple solutions at the same time.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:03 PM   #19
resi-guy

They only thing I can prove about this product is that it costs me around $300 and I get between $600 and $800 to install it.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:02 AM   #20
Registered Member

Default power saver

Richrock , you say your company sells and installs these , can you give us input on how it works or just send us the us patent number off the product so i can check it out , this would be a new area of interest to me and i might learn how these power savers work .not and expert on it, but were not completely convinced on the circuit or function of your product . i know the power company installs watt miser stuff if you want it ,but it just turns water heaters off meaning during peak loads times , but does not change the actual power to you home , if thats what it is for $600.00 dollars i can install one or more time clocks on my water heater or other loads , and any load in my home to save power or just turn down my t stat , or install low wattage lighting in my lamps and fixtures ? so how does it work ? give us a contact of manufacturer ill be glad to listen to what they have to say . and will not tell them you gave me the contact . its hot down here in florida and were behind the times .

Last edited by nick; 07-10-2008 at 05:07 AM. Reason: correct error
Closed Thread