CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 05-12-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
Fried Bologna um um good!

Default f40t12 to f32t8

I have a customer that wants to change to t-8 fixtures(2x4 lay ins). Are retrofit kits the cheapest way to go? If so who makes the best ones? Also this is a business are there any tax credits for upgrading to more energy efficient lights?

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-12-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
child please.....

I think retros are the easiest way. Just buy a 3/4 lamp ballast , gut the old ones and install the ballast and lamps...pretty easy...Check with your poco , they may offer a rebaye also the fed does as well.

NolaTigaBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaTigaBait View Post
I think retros are the easiest way. Just buy a 3/4 lamp ballast , gut the old ones and install the ballast and lamps...pretty easy...Check with your poco , they may offer a rebaye also the fed does as well.
I was looking for a kit that has sockets and a ballast. All of these fixtures have at least 1 socket broke. So you are saying you just buy an electronis ballast and lamps?
Old 05-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
child please.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwjrw View Post
I was looking for a kit that has sockets and a ballast. All of these fixtures have at least 1 socket broke. So you are saying you just buy an electronis ballast and lamps?
Yeah, then just replace which sockets are bad...if there is only 1 or 2 bad sockets, then it's worth it....When you start changing out more than that, it may be more economical to change the entire troffer...I've seen at HD , 3 lamps troffer with a whip for under 50 bucks...
Old 05-12-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Quote:

You can use the same sockets for the T-8 lamps
Old 05-12-2010, 07:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black4Truck View Post
You can use the same sockets for the T-8 lamps

Yea I know they are the same. You just need to know if you have the longer or shorter ones.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
child please.....

Quote:
Yea I know they are the same. You just need to know if you have the longer or shorter ones.
bp-lp....bi pin low profile sockets for lay-ins....Oh yeah and use shunted sockets or use the jumper for non shunted
Old 05-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #8
Wire Ninja

I can change out a whole fixture more cheaply than I can replace just ballasts and whatever broken tombstones there are. With a simple ballast change, you're still left with dirty refractors and reflectors.

I've never really found a retrofit "kit" that I like. Most of my customers are going from 4-lamp T12 troffers with the prismatic refractor to 3-lamp T8 troffers with an 18-cell prismatic reflector. There's not really a good kit for that. For 50 bucks my cost and about 7 minutes a fixture, I've got the whole thing changed.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #9
Chairman of the Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
I can change out a whole fixture more cheaply than I can replace just ballasts and whatever broken tombstones there are. With a simple ballast change, you're still left with dirty refractors and reflectors.

I've never really found a retrofit "kit" that I like. Most of my customers are going from 4-lamp T12 troffers with the prismatic refractor to 3-lamp T8 troffers with an 18-cell prismatic reflector. There's not really a good kit for that. For 50 bucks my cost and about 7 minutes a fixture, I've got the whole thing changed.
yeah seems to me replacing the entire fixture is a better, easier method...less labor should counter any increase in fixture cost.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #10
child please.....

Quote:

I still find it easier to retrofit....but I will say that I've been selling people on the cell parabolics lately...they are awesome...
Old 05-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #11
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzKill View Post
yeah seems to me replacing the entire fixture is a better, easier method...less labor should counter any increase in fixture cost.
The worst part about changing an entire fixture is all the dirt, debris, and other junk that might be on top of them. Occasionally, you'll find one that's almost locked in place by ductwork and pipes that went in after the fixture was put in, but a little bit of clever ceiling dismantling can normally get it out and back in.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #12
child please.....

Quote:
I can retrofit at a cost of about $20 a fixture plus labor...a new parabolic troffer with lamps and whip is around 65-70 plus labor....still cheaper and faster to retrofit imo.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:36 PM   #13
Wire Ninja

Quote:
I can retrofit at a cost of about $20 a fixture plus labor...a new parabolic troffer with lamps and whip is around 65-70 plus labor....still cheaper and faster to retrofit imo.
You don't need a whip on a fixture that is to replace an existing fixture, and you're buying lamps no matter what. AND.. you cannot retrofit an existing fixture for 20 bucks if they're bi-level switched. PLUS, you're still left with a dirty fixture to clean at the end of the process.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:38 PM   #14
child please.....

Quote:
You don't need a whip on a fixture that is to replace an existing fixture, and you're buying lamps no matter what. AND.. you cannot retrofit an existing fixture for 20 bucks if they're bi-level switched. PLUS, you're still left with a dirty fixture to clean at the end of the process.
Yeah, I know I don;t NEED a whip...just saying.... I don;t know what "bi-level " switching is either.... To each his own...there are times when I find retrofitting economical and there are times when I don't...
Old 05-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #15
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Y.... I don;t know what "bi-level " switching is either....
Two switches for the same fixture. In a T12, it would be the outside lamps on one switch, and the inside lamps on the other switch. In a T8, it would be one lamp on one switch, and the other two lamps on the second switch.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #16
Chairman of the Bored

oh yeah, for office work so you can read your computer
Old 05-12-2010, 08:47 PM   #17
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Yeah, I know I don;t NEED a whip...
I know, but I was more specifically objecting to your apples to oranges comparison. You spec'd the ballast only for your retrofit price, and you spec'd a fixture with an unnecessary whip and lamps that you'd have to buy anyhow for the replacement price. You made the replacement cost seem more expensive than it really is.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #18
Wire Ninja

Quote:
oh yeah, for office work so you can read your computer
I've managed to upsell to bi-level switching in a heck of a lot of offices that didn't have them before. In a 3-lamp T8 fixture, that really give you three options; high, medium, and low. High, with both switches on. Medium, with the one switch on for two lamps, and low, with just the one switch on for the one lamp. People think that's cool.

You can talk all day about "optimal lighting levels", but the reality is that every person is different. People even appreciate the option of different lighting levels at different times of the day, and for certain tasks.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:49 PM   #19
child please.....

JUst trying to sell the retrofits...its the salesman in me...and yeah, I kinda figured you meant switching half the fixture.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #20
child please.....

Quote:
I've managed to upsell to bi-level switching in a heck of a lot of offices that didn't have them before. In a 3-lamp T8 fixture, that really give you three options; high, medium, and low. High, with both switches on. Medium, with the one switch on for two lamps, and low, with just the one switch on for the one lamp. People think that's cool.
How do you do this with 1 ballast?