Electrician Talk banner

FCC Flat Conductor Cable

15K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  william1978 
#1 ·
Does anyone know about FCC. Artical 324. Have they lost there UL listing or have never had one? My supply house will not sell me the stuff here in Minnesota. They say it is illegal in this state because of no UL listing.

#3 ·
Yeah I know. The problem is the store we are remodeling has used it in the past in other states that allow it. They cant seem to understand that in the state of MN it is illegal for us to install it unless it has a UL listing. They are going to send one of there guys from Kansas next week to show us the light. They wont listen to reason.

#11 ·
No they are not the same thing at all the FCC is much wider than the ribbon cables are.

BTW the FCC is pretty restrctied use so per NEC code it only limited in few spots that about it I know I ran into this more than once is office space it can run under the carpet however IIRC it mention have sqaure section peices not the large single peices type.

Not too long ago I did see a adverisment about the FCC for resdential use { it mention low voltage setting } myself I don't know how good they are.

Merci,Marc

#12 ·
FCC, in my experience, is only suitable when they have onsite electricians or decent building maintenance staff. I've seen it short out when furniture is rearranged, dollies are rolled over it unknowingly, etc. Fickle stuff. I've installed it purposely on only one job, and it was AMP brand. Tenant space had high, pressed tin ceiling, so tele power poles were out. On a slab with a lot of conduit in it already, so sawcutting was an option pretty far down on the list. Flat conductor cable was decided upon when I was informed they were going to use carpet tile anyhow. Had to try it at least once. Expensive, but cheaper than sawcutting a busy slab.

By the way, in case you didn't know, FCC is really only indicated when they're going to use carpet tile. One big piece of rug... furgettaboutit.

#13 ·
we have used it in certain gov bldgs that are designed for it (floor raceways everywhere) and where they rearrange offices often enough to actually make it practical (cubicles as far as the eye can see). there are at least two brands out that are listed. you might need to go with a different supply house (we get it from a specialty supply house that we don't normally buy from)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.