Finding buried spices and wires outside a JB - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree17Likes
  • 2 Post By telsa
  • 2 Post By Arc'n'Spark
  • 2 Post By RCSpades
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 2 Post By splatz
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 1 Post By splatz
  • 1 Post By 99cents
  • 2 Post By macmikeman
  • 3 Post By A Little Short

Old 08-06-2016, 01:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 28
Default Finding buried spices and wires outside a JB

Recently I have been getting into inspecting and assessing mobile homes and other residences. Inspect, correct any deficiencies.

Recently an inspection moved into a full reno and when we started to take down walls I found a number of splices and wire ends just wrapped in tape just hanging out in the walls and ceiling without even a junction box.

During the inspection I had found a number of things that needed to be fixed but these few things had eluded me.

This worries me. I want to catch these things. And I am hoping that some of you may have some suggestions on methods or tools that would assist in finding things that are buried.

I have been considering an infrared camera, but I am worried that any extra heat generated by a buried splice wouldn't be enough to show through the wall.

Thanks
RCSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2016, 01:57 AM   #2
Deplorable-Electrician

Rewards Points: 16,304

You can try your luck with a thermal camera. Not sure how well that would read through paneling. Being as you don't have xray vision you really can't be held accountable for things buried if there is no reason to suspect them (ie a circuit down). A tick tracer may help you find dead ended wires but that is about all the capability it would give you.
RCSpades (08-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 02:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 11,138

No-one is going to pay you to catch such splices.

There are a number of gadgets that are in wide spread use within the manufactured home industry that would not meet the NEC.

Such boxless splices are here to stay.

BTW, some flying splices date back eighty-years -- and are still conduction strong.

&&&

Stick built homes are designed to be modified an repaired after 'the build.'

RVs are designed to be discarded after eight-years -- pretty much. Yes, you can't even find critical new parts any more.

Manufactured homes are only one-step above RVs.

Move out of that niche as fast as your feet will allow.
MechanicalDVR and Majewski like this.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to telsa For This Useful Post:
Majewski (08-06-2016), RCSpades (08-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 02:12 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 252

Buried spices... I thought this thread was going to be about some "oregano" you found in a wall.

In all seriousness though, unless it's a buried splice that's failing so badly it's about to catch fire, there's little chance a thermal imager will be able to pick it up through drywall. A dead ended wire will have no thermal signature at all because there is no current flowing. There's really no good way to find these things unless they fail or you start ripping open walls.
Majewski and PlugsAndLights like this.
Arc'n'Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arc'n'Spark For This Useful Post:
RCSpades (08-06-2016), west shore electric (08-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 02:13 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 28

I agree with your point. Not too much better than an RV. But it is a revenue stream that is actually fairly lucrative. Lots of labour. And in my area, Mobiles are required by law to be inspected before they can transfer ownership. Someone has to do it
RCSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:16 AM   #6
Deplorable-Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSpades View Post
I agree with your point. Not too much better than an RV. But it is a revenue stream that is actually fairly lucrative. Lots of labour. And in my area, Mobiles are required by law to be inspected before they can transfer ownership. Someone has to do it
Trailer parks, most often the final destinations for prom queens and tornadoes.
telsa likes this.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:55 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,060

You might be able to find these things with a TDR, but it would be an awful lot of work and you'd wind up ripping open walls to discover you had a false positive.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:39 AM   #8
Deplorable-Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
You might be able to find these things with a TDR, but it would be an awful lot of work and you'd wind up ripping open walls to discover you had a false positive.
Hardly worth the effort in an older trailer with the wall finishes they have, not like standard sheetrock and paint most often.
Majewski likes this.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:18 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Hardly worth the effort in an older trailer with the wall finishes they have, not like standard sheetrock and paint most often.
The bill could easily be where they'd rather the place had burned down.
Majewski likes this.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:32 AM   #10
Cow

Rewards Points: 2,196

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
Took the words out of my mouth, I have a TDR, but I can't see a guy using it to test every piece of wire in a mobile home. It's just not cost effective or practical.
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:45 AM   #11
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 6,024

There aren't a lot of partition walls in a trailer. Most of your walls and all of your ceilings are insulated. I don't know of anything that would work except a tear down.

Your contract might stipulate that you can't fix what you can't see.
Majewski likes this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:47 PM   #12
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 2,746

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
There aren't a lot of partition walls in a trailer. Most of your walls and all of your ceilings are insulated. I don't know of anything that would work except a tear down.

Your contract might stipulate that you can't fix what you can't see.

We are not responsible for any existing defect in the wiring of the structure , and as such any repairs or remedy to same will be at extra cost above the price of this contract.
transient and Majewski like this.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:21 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 76

How are tornadoes and divorces alike in the south?

Either way someone is losing a mobile home!
Cow, Majewski and PlugsAndLights like this.

A Little Short is offline   Reply With Quote