Electrician Talk banner

Fluorescent bulbs flicker for a while after turned off

52K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  LJSMITH1 
#1 ·
Weve been changing some of our bulbs out around the house to the compact fluorescent bulbs for awhile now, but last night i noticed that when i turned the switch off that they flickered for almost a good minute. Anybody know what causes this?

#4 ·
Yes. Many electronic switches use the switch leg as a grounding conductor. There's a very small current flow through the circuit, which is low enough not to light an incandescent filament, but can cause problems with CFLs. Either reinstall the incandescent lamp, or replace the switch with a normal one.

#13 ·
It's a phenomenon called "Electronic Dieseling". Its akin to turning your car engine off and it continues to chug along for a few seconds.

The solution is to completely disassemble the ballast and clean all the electron carbonization from between the windings. Reassemble the ballast, being sure to dull any sharp bends of the electron flow pipes. Then when restarting, make sure you use an hertzane electron additive to raise the electrons sparkrtronic flash point. This should prevent future events of electronic dieseling...

Good Luck!:thumbsup:

:laughing::)

#23 · (Edited)
Why don't you get your DMM out and see if there is any input voltage going to the ballast? Then measure the outputs to the lamps. If you have input voltage, you have a power switching problem.

If you have voltage at the ballast outputs, you have a ballast problem. If that is the case, try replacing one ballast in one fixture. If that fixture now turns off normally, then you know what you have to do..

Good luck!:thumbsup:

If they "glow" and there is definitely no power going into or out of the ballasts, then the source is probably external (like a strong RF or EMF). Do you live near a microwave transmitter or under high tension powerlines? Other than that, I have no other explanation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.