CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 05-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000
Default Forgot Ufer..Ooops!

Inspector came out for rough today. He passed but he asked if the footers had an ufer ground. The GC was standing right there and said no. Then he said does it have rebar in it. The GC jumped in and said yes (wrong answer). Then he said since we upgraded service at same time then it needs ufer ground.

Now, the gc called me after they poured slab and said he is ready for me to start roughing. I had no clue when the job was even starting til last second. Now, he says I should have warned him and I should pay? Say What?

Cletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-26-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletis View Post
Inspector came out for rough today. He passed but he asked if the footers had an ufer ground. The GC was standing right there and said no. Then he said does it have rebar in it. The GC jumped in and said yes (wrong answer). Then he said since we upgraded service at same time then it needs ufer ground.

Now, the gc called me after they poured slab and said he is ready for me to start roughing. I had no clue when the job was even starting til last second. Now, he says I should have warned him and I should pay? Say What?

I always talk about it with a General before the job, and with the concrete guys sometimes. Ground rod time..
We have underground service on new, so it's easier for me to know, because I'm putting in my sweep.

Last edited by dronai; 05-27-2011 at 12:14 AM.
dronai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
Registered Member

Default GR

He said no ground rod. We had to jackhammer up the footer and then run a bonding jumper to the GEC. Does this sound correct or is he jackleggin me?
Old 05-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
NJ-IEC Member

Quote:

If he told you about the work after the pour then it's the GC's fault. But if you knew you were going to be doing this electrical work, then you had to have known a concrete-encased electrode was required. But like I said what matters is when you were first asked about the service upgrade.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
Registered Member

Default Time

Well. He told me about job in Dec. There were problems with financing and he said he would call when he was ready for me. Well, he called me after he poured the slab. We didn't even have a contract or anything yet.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #6
NJ-IEC Member

Quote:
Well. He told me about job in Dec. There were problems with financing and he said he would call when he was ready for me. Well, he called me after he poured the slab. We didn't even have a contract or anything yet.
So you're off the hook. The inspector passed it so you're good. Tell the GC next time we need to have it in a similar situation.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,058

Quote:
Do you have a contract now?
RIVETER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
NJ-IEC Member

Better yet, did you get the check?
Old 05-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #9
Registered Member

Default Check

No check yet. He's good for it. Been working a while for him. I may just suggest he rents the jackhammer and buys the #4 and i'll run it just to keep peace and share a small portion of responsibility. I make alot off him per year so....
Old 05-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #10

Quote:
No check yet. He's good for it. Been working a while for him. I may just suggest he rents the jackhammer and buys the #4 and i'll run it just to keep peace and share a small portion of responsibility. I make alot off him per year so....
How big a contractor could he be if he couldn't get financing for one house?
Old 05-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #11
Registered Member

Default Mod

He's moderate. The financing problem was with homeowner. Isn't there an exception is the rebar is under 6 ft or something like that?? I"ve never had to bond rebar all these years. Got out of new home construction 10 yrs ago when it all started going downhill.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #12

Quote:
He's moderate. The financing problem was with homeowner. Isn't there an exception is the rebar is under 6 ft or something like that?? I"ve never had to bond rebar all these years. Got out of new home construction 10 yrs ago when it all started going downhill.
Using a ufer, as far as I know is the most adequate form of lightning/aberrant current protection. You should ALWAYS plan on using it. Comparing ,dragging a #6 cu 90 feet through a house to a water pipe seems almost criminal. Just my opinion.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 502

funny that Ufer is a guys name when UF wire is Underground feed. What I don't like about attaching copper to a rebar cage under the cement is the oxidization. I like to ell a piece of 20' rebar that pops up inside the wall and attach the bronze acorn there.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:37 PM   #14
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 2,028

Quote:
Originally Posted by danickstr View Post
funny that Ufer is a guys name when UF wire is Underground feed. What I don't like about attaching copper to a rebar cage under the cement is the oxidization. I like to ell a piece of 20' rebar that pops up inside the wall and attach the bronze acorn there.
And of course that highly intelligent method is discouraged by the local insptr's here.... They decided the part sticking out of the slab is subject to rusting away..... so they don't accept it. (a few of them do, just a few.)
Old 05-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #15
ET rocks

Rewards Points: 1,020

Is this the GC's first rodeo?

Here, "IN NEW CONSTRUCTION, a CEE shall be considered available and installed per 250.52(A)(3)" This is then signed off by the BUILDING inspector. So a GC knows it has to go in before his pre pour inspection.

It also goes on to state, if a CEE is not present, then 20' of #2 bare CU not less than 30" deep in a continuous trench with 2 rods 6' apart...

Does Georgia have any ammendments like this? Even still, it seems like the inspector could have allowed another NEC permitted electrode.
3xdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:58 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 2,030

Quote:
They are required to be at least 20'. Also the exception in 250.50 says ...CCEs of existing buildings shall not be required to be a part of the grounding electrode system where the rebar or rods is not accessible without disturbing the concrete.

I don't know if this applies here since GC should have known about the CCE before pouring the concrete. But now it is existing!
A Little Short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:21 AM   #17
BR549

Rewards Points: 2,024

A real GC would have known about that Ufer. We have it on the structural checklist here. Covers everybody's butt.
jrannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 07:03 AM   #18
Heavily Armed Member

Quote:
He said no ground rod. We had to jackhammer up the footer and then run a bonding jumper to the GEC. Does this sound correct or is he jackleggin me?
Are you saying that he ran the bonding jumper??

If so why is he doing that he should have had you doing that instead.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:12 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 2,092

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRY304E View Post
Are you saying that he ran the bonding jumper??

If so why is he doing that he should have had you doing that instead.
I thought "he" was the inspector.