CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 01-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #1
Registered Member

Default Grandfathered In ?

I got to talking with some guys other day in Home Depot parking lot. Alot of guys around here were "grandfathered in" with their license. They don't know crap! One guy only knew how to wire new houses. Take him out of that realm and he is clueless. I've hired several guys as sub's that have their own license but they only have limited knowledge. I know for sure they couldn't even come close to passing test again. (I'm not sure I could..it's been a while). But, I do know that I know much more than alot of the grandfathered in guys I meet around here. I have alot to learn still but I would think eventually the state would make everyone have to take some sort of test for minimum standards???

Cletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-03-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
Heavily Armed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletis View Post
I got to talking with some guys other day in Home Depot parking lot. Alot of guys around here were "grandfathered in" with their license. They don't know crap! One guy only knew how to wire new houses. Take him out of that realm and he is clueless. I've hired several guys as sub's that have their own license but they only have limited knowledge. I know for sure they couldn't even come close to passing test again. (I'm not sure I could..it's been a while). But, I do know that I know much more than alot of the grandfathered in guys I meet around here. I have alot to learn still but I would think eventually the state would make everyone have to take some sort of test for minimum standards???
So did your state just start a new license system?

HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #3

That was true of NC also but I think most of them are retired or passed away now. 30 years ago they had licensing but many counties had no inspection department. To a lot of folks that meant anything goes.

I bought my first house in one of the counties without any inspection department. I noticed a big sag in the ceiling by the skylight. I went up there and they had cut 2 trusses and used a 2x10 that didn't span but to the next truss. I called the builder, house was 10 years old at the time, he said there was no inspection back then.

I laughed and said there was no inspection but you were still required to build it to code. I made him come back and repair it. He was pissed but he knew I was right.

Last edited by Dennis Alwon; 01-03-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis Alwon For This Useful Post:
Englishsparky (01-03-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
Registered Member

No one has been grandfathered in in Georgia since the state licensing went into effect in 1984. So the guys you are talking to are either older fellows or just outright lying.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InPhase277 For This Useful Post:
HARRY304E (01-03-2011)
Old 01-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
Registered Member

Default Grandfathered in

Not sure. Some were kind of old some were not. I took test back in 2006 when they first started it all. I found this below on state site...?

1) Will all of those currently operating as contractors in Georgia be grandfathered in?

No. The law allows a one-time application period for a limited group of applicants to gain the license without taking the exam. All applicants wishing to practice as general or residential contractors must meet the required eligibility requirements, submit an application and pay the appropriate fees. This exemption phase closed December 31, 2006. It was subsequintly re-opened for a short window when Governor Perdue signed SB 115 into law May 2007. At this current time, examination exemption applications ARE NOT being accepted.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletis View Post
Not sure. Some were kind of old some were not. I took test back in 2006 when they first started it all. I found this below on state site...?

1) Will all of those currently operating as contractors in Georgia be grandfathered in?

No. The law allows a one-time application period for a limited group of applicants to gain the license without taking the exam. All applicants wishing to practice as general or residential contractors must meet the required eligibility requirements, submit an application and pay the appropriate fees. This exemption phase closed December 31, 2006. It was subsequintly re-opened for a short window when Governor Perdue signed SB 115 into law May 2007. At this current time, examination exemption applications ARE NOT being accepted.
So are you a general contractor, or electrical contractor? Because the section you quoted was for GCs. Georgia started licensing GCs in 2007, but electrical contractors have been licensed since 1984.
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
Registered Member

Default EC

Electrical Contactror Non-Restricted

Not sure about quote. There are so many levels around here it's confusing. I'm really not sure what those guys were talking about anyhow. they are probably doing electric without a license anyhow.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #8

GC licensing started in 07.
Electrical licensing has been around since I started in the trades, mid 80's.
When they started licensing, those that had a business were grandfathered in.
If you look at the SOS web site, serch for license, click on a name and you will find out if they took a test or converted by being grandfathered in.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #9
Registered Member

I t was the same way in VA for a long time. Many HVAC contractors hand plumbing electrcial hvac, all in one license, and they didn't know crap. Comtinuing education has weeded them out.

mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote