CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 80
Default Grounded B Phase sub panel

This is a 240v Grounded B Phase sub panel in an older manufacturing facility. I am not familiar with this type of service. Any comments are welcome


There are only 2 pole QO breakers used in this panel
for A & C phases. If a three phase 240V circuit is needed,
a two pole breaker is used for the black and the blue wires, and the red wire is taken directly from the B bus bar. If a single phase 240V circuit, then a 2 pole breaker
is used with the black and blue wires only. The red B phase wire is not used. It's seems similar to a 220V residential setup with a grounded neutral.

The scary part is that the electricians that added some equipment a month ago, put a 3 pole breaker in the panel. (I might add that the motors on that equipment keep burning up.) I don't think that a 3 pole breaker should be in that panel.
Does anyone agree / disagree?


luby104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-23-2010, 12:38 AM   #2
Modérateur
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NE Wi / Paris France{ In France for while }
Posts: 4,836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luby104 View Post
This is a 240v Grounded B Phase sub panel in an older manufacturing facility. I am not familiar with this type of service. Any comments are welcome


There are only 2 pole QO breakers used in this panel
for A & C phases. If a three phase 240V circuit is needed,
a two pole breaker is used for the black and the blue wires, and the red wire is taken directly from the B bus bar. If a single phase 240V circuit, then a 2 pole breaker
is used with the black and blue wires only. The red B phase wire is not used. It's seems similar to a 220V residential setup with a grounded neutral.

The scary part is that the electricians that added some equipment a month ago, put a 3 pole breaker in the panel. (I might add that the motors on that equipment keep burning up.) I don't think that a 3 pole breaker should be in that panel.
Does anyone agree / disagree ?
That is a major issue if someone did use the 3 pole breaker on CGD then they are nuts and I know few electricians are not really famuair with old school corner grounded delta system they look simauir to single phase but it is NOT !!!.

Merci.
Marc

__________________
Bleu est beau.
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frenchelectrican For This Useful Post:
luby104 (09-23-2010)
Old 09-23-2010, 12:44 AM   #3
I void warranties
 
Jlarson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 12,896
Default

Yeah a 3 pole on a corner ground delta system feeding 3ph equip. ain't going to end well. Cause what is happening then is the 3ph load is seeing A,C,A or C,A,C. So put in a 2 pole and land B on the bus bar and I bet the motor issue will hopefully be solved.
__________________
The best never stop learning.

Jlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jlarson For This Useful Post:
luby104 (09-23-2010)
Old 09-23-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
Modérateur
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NE Wi / Paris France{ In France for while }
Posts: 4,836
Default

The only surefire way you can tell which phase is correct is get your voltmeter to read phase to ground and find which one is correct so like phase A to Ground is 240 volts while Phase C is 240 volts to ground that is correct and phase B should be complety ZERO volts any other voltage then you have issue there.

If that the case go to the main loadcentre or disconnect switch and make a note and read voltage and go from there.

If someone did install the true triphase load centre on CGD then you have to skip every third one and you will have to mark it down say CGD that will give them a head up.

I gave you the answer on the other topic in this forum about the breaker itself.

Merci.
Marc
__________________
Bleu est beau.
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frenchelectrican For This Useful Post:
luby104 (09-23-2010)
Old 09-23-2010, 12:59 AM   #5
I void warranties
 
Jlarson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 12,896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
The only surefire way you can tell which phase is correct is get your voltmeter to read phase to ground and find which one is correct so like phase A to Ground is 240 volts while Phase C is 240 volts to ground that is correct and phase B should be complety ZERO volts any other voltage then you have issue there.

If that the case go to the main loadcentre or disconnect switch and make a note and read voltage and go from there.

If someone did install the true triphase load centre on CGD then you have to skip every third one and you will have to mark it down say CGD that will give them a head up.

I gave you the answer on the other topic in this forum about the breaker itself.

Merci.
Marc
Sometimes you see (or at least I do) a single phase panel with A and C landed and B is on the bar. If it was a 3ph panel board and A,B,C are landed on the lugs, then a 3 pole breaker "would work" technically for a 3ph load.
__________________
The best never stop learning.

Jlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jlarson For This Useful Post:
luby104 (09-23-2010)
Old 09-23-2010, 01:03 AM   #6
Modérateur
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NE Wi / Paris France{ In France for while }
Posts: 4,836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlarson View Post
Sometimes you see (or at least I do) a single phase panel with A and C landed and B is on the bar. If it was a 3ph panel board and A,B,C are landed on the lugs, then a 3 pole breaker "would work" technically for a 3ph load.

Yeah I have see that as well but not very often in that fashon for CGD but I know it can work with tripole breaker due it have common tripping mechesaim but the biggest killer is to properly grounded and bonded with subpanels with CGD that kinda eyeopener if ya not prepared.

Merci.
Marc
__________________
Bleu est beau.
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frenchelectrican For This Useful Post:
luby104 (09-23-2010)
Old 09-23-2010, 03:18 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Toronto Sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto, (Scarborough) Canada.
Posts: 1,580
Default

I've been in the trade for 40+ years and I've never seen a grounded delta setup myself.
Sure it would trip me up too..

So..this system is like a regular single phase panel but the grounded phase is landed on the (so called) Neutral bus?

A three phase motor would be tied into a two pole breaker plus a feed from the (so called) neutral bus?
__________________
Don't fight .. Play nice!

Last edited by Toronto Sparky; 09-23-2010 at 03:20 AM.
Toronto Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toronto Sparky For This Useful Post:
luby104 (09-23-2010)
Old 09-23-2010, 03:40 AM   #8
Modérateur
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NE Wi / Paris France{ In France for while }
Posts: 4,836
Default

Let me throw couple photos how it describe .,



This is one part and let me throw other part.





If someone else have more diagram please do post it here.

As you can see why you have to be extra carefull with CGD system as I mention above it can get ya if not watching the grounded and grounding conductors. { espcally with subpanels that where the trouble start }

Oh yeah they do come in both 240 or 480 volt verison.

Merci.
Marc
__________________
Bleu est beau.

Last edited by frenchelectrican; 09-23-2010 at 03:46 AM. Reason: add two voltage verison
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frenchelectrican For This Useful Post:
acro (06-02-2011), John Valdes (09-23-2010), luby104 (09-23-2010)
Old 09-23-2010, 03:43 AM   #9
Modérateur
 
frenchelectrican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NE Wi / Paris France{ In France for while }
Posts: 4,836
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Sparky View Post
I've been in the trade for 40+ years and I've never seen a grounded delta setup myself.
Sure it would trip me up too..

So..this system is like a regular single phase panel but the grounded phase is landed on the (so called) Neutral bus?

A three phase motor would be tied into a two pole breaker plus a feed from the (so called) neutral bus?

I kinda figure that some of the guys never see that before and mutter " WTF " .,,,

Yeah simauir to single phase panels but a big gotcha is you have to be aware with supply set up { it can trick ya if you are not watching or check the voltage with volt meter to make sure }

And to answer your last question Oui { Yes } it been done like that.

But not very many places still have CGD anymore they are slowly dropping out for safety issue.

Merci.
Marc
__________________
Bleu est beau.
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frenchelectrican For This Useful Post:
luby104 (09-23-2010)
Old 09-23-2010, 05:20 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 789
Default

I work on corner grounded delta systems quite often. CGD systems are quite common on older industrial facilities. Almost all of these use 3 pole breakers for 3 phase loads and appear, to the eye, as a wye system. You must always use a meter to know for sure. I also see many CGD systems with fuses in all 3 phases. This, of course, is a code violation, but a very common violation. There are also several ungrounded Delta systems in use in this area. ALWAYS USE YOUR METER TO KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DEALING WITH.

As to the OP question about the motors failing: If the motors are 3 phase, and connected to all 3 phases, and the motors are wired for the proper voltage, it would make no difference if the system was CGD or wye. If they were 120 volt, they would of course burn up. If the motors are 240 volt single phase, connection to any 2 phases, grounded or not, would work.

If the OP is saying that this is a single phase panel, with the "neutral" bar used as the "B" phase buss, on a 3 phase system, then you COULD NOT use a 3 pole breaker to power a 3 phase load as this would put two lines of one of the phases on the circuit.

Last edited by varmit; 09-23-2010 at 05:39 AM.
varmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:36 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NASA
Posts: 7,521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmit View Post
I work on corner grounded delta systems quite often. CGD systems are quite common on older industrial facilities. Almost all of these use 3 pole breakers for 3 phase loads
That is because they used 3 phase panels, but you can also use single phase panels using the 'neutral bar' for the grounded phase.

When using single phase panels use of a three pole breaker would be wrong and provide only two legs to the motors.



Code wise the grounded phase should be white, it should not be switched unless it is switched at the same time as the other legs.
Bob Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:23 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
brian john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Leesburg, VA
Posts: 25,141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Badger View Post
Th.

When using single phase panels use of a three pole breaker would be wrong and provide only two legs to the motors.

gs.

And that will fry motors in short order.

Also shouldn't the "B" phase grounded conductor be white,
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:53 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 7,797
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post

Also shouldn't the "B" phase grounded conductor be white,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Badger View Post



Code wise the grounded phase should be white, ....
I think so.
__________________
The pioneers of a warless world
are the youth that refuse military
service.
—Albert Einstein
hardworkingstiff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:49 AM   #14
Ax grinder
 
raider1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: North Logan, Utah
Posts: 1,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
And that will fry motors in short order.

Also shouldn't the "B" phase grounded conductor be white,
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardworkingstiff View Post
I think so.
Yes, the grounded conductor of a corner grounded system must be identified either white or grey the same as any other grounded conductor.

Chris
raider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Vintage Sounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 2,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Sparky View Post
I've been in the trade for 40+ years and I've never seen a grounded delta setup myself.
Sure it would trip me up too..
Does this mean it's unlikely that I would run into a delta system, doing work around Toronto? I was hoping to see one sometime.
Vintage Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:09 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NASA
Posts: 7,521
Default

Say your factory is 600Y/277 and someone brought in some 230 volt 3 phase motors, a delta / delta transformer set up as grounded delta would be a quick and easy solution.
Bob Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Vintage Sounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 2,360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob badger View Post
say your factory is 600y/277
600y/347?
Vintage Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NASA
Posts: 7,521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Sounds View Post
600y/347?



Yeah, sorry.
Bob Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:13 PM   #19
I void warranties
 
Jlarson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: AZ
Posts: 12,896
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Sounds View Post
600y/347?
Same difference. Bob was only off by 70 volts.
__________________
The best never stop learning.

Jlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #20
Fried Bologna um um good!
 
jwjrw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: nc
Posts: 8,092
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlarson View Post
Same difference. Bob was only off by 70 volts.

And yet you give me crap for my meter only reading 70volts.....

__________________
The more I learn the less I seem to know......
jwjrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grounded B Phase??? sparks134 Commercial Electrical Forum 49 05-16-2012 03:28 PM
Corner Grounded C Phase Dilemma Mike Guile General Electrical Discussion 45 03-07-2010 02:49 AM
Transformer Hot, 3 phase supplying a 1 phase panel brother General Electrical Discussion 6 12-12-2009 01:26 AM
Grounded 240V single phase zgozvrm General Electrical Discussion 5 06-20-2009 04:27 AM
Help!! Corner Grounded Delta 3 Phase Dude Man General Electrical Discussion 27 12-19-2008 08:55 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:12 PM.


Copyright © 2006-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com