CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 02-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,624
Default Halogen bulbs exploding?

I put in dozens of these bulbs about 3 months ago in various fixtures during a remodel. Get a call today this morning that a light bulb had exploded with 3 already done so in a week I haul ass over there thinking a neutral has opened up somewhere.

When I got there a good chunk of them had already burnt out but another good chunck that were working had seriously blackened capsules about 3 of which had large bulges in them and that would explain why I had found another 2 that had already shattered. Most of the blackened and blown bulbs were in ceiling flush mounts and one was in the range hood.
Voltage checked out ok at all fixture and service panel 118 on one leg 119 on the other.

I have only seen this happen to metal halides but never halogens. Anybody have a clue as to what would cause this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg halogen2 (1).jpg (61.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg halogen3.jpg (66.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg halogen1 (2).jpg (64.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-06-29_23-32-50_109.jpg (110.6 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by meadow; 02-21-2012 at 10:32 PM.
meadow is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

A transient voltage surge? Are any electronic appliances blown.? Are all the lamps on the same circuit?

J. Temple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
Bababoee

Rewards Points: 2,000

Those are by far the worst bulbs ever created by man... Ive had two of them burn up two different outdoor light fixtures. One was an a19 and the other was a 60 watt candalabra that melted the tube that carries the wires to the socket in an outdoor pendant and cause a direct short.. They get way to hot... Im surprised there havent been more house fires because of them..
frenchelectrican (02-21-2012), HARRY304E (02-21-2012), meadow (06-04-2014), mxslick (11-12-2013), Restoration (02-22-2012), someonespecial (11-12-2013)
Old 02-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
Modérateur

I just about agree with CaptKirk this one and I have a funny feeling that the bulb manufacter may did " down rate " the voltage on the bulb and with your standard 120 volt supply ( sure give and take couple ) if look super bright I think the manufacter did on purpose to use lower voltage rating like example a 100 volts instead of 120 volts that can get super bright and shorten the life.

That what I am thinking about due our European counterpart we do have halogen bulbs as well almost simauir style you have and yeah.,, guess what we are not too far off from that as well.

I have couple halogen bulb expoled simair way as you posted ( they are caused by enclosed luminaire ) the open one are not too bad unless end of life that will do it.

Meadow .,

Was this on the dimmer ?? if so they may not run wide open for a while to let the halogen do what they are designed for.

Merci,
Marc
Old 02-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #5
Heavily Armed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadow View Post
I put in dozens of these bulbs about 3 months ago in various fixtures during a remodel. Get a call today this morning that a light bulb had exploded with 3 already done so in a week I haul ass over there thinking a neutral has opened up somewhere.

When I got there a good chunk of them had already burnt out but another good chunck that were working had seriously blackened capsules about 3 of which had large bulges in them and that would explain why I had found another 2 that had already shattered. Most of the blackened and blown bulbs were in ceiling flush mounts and one was in the range hood.
Voltage checked out ok at all fixture and service panel 118 on one leg 119 on the other.

I have only seen this happen to metal halides but never halogens. Anybody have a clue as to what would cause this?
Are those ceiling flush mounts Rated for halogens?

I doubt it they get way too hot.

Those capsules usually crack or even explode inside the lamp just like metal halides.
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post

Meadow .,

Was this on the dimmer ?? if so they may not run wide open for a while to let the halogen do what they are designed for.

Merci,
Marc
Yes most of them were on dimmers, the reason why I assumed it was ok because the boxes and the catalog says "fully dimmable"
Old 02-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Rewards Points: 2,488

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
...Was this on the dimmer ?? if so they may not run wide open for a while to let the halogen do what they are designed for....
Good thinking. That sounds about right, because I know that incomplete heating/cooling cycles of MH lamps is what causes the quartz in those to fail as well.

-John
Big John is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big John For This Useful Post:
MHElectric (11-12-2013), mxslick (11-12-2013)
Old 02-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRY304E View Post
Are those ceiling flush mounts Rated for halogens?

I doubt it they get way too hot.

Those capsules usually crack or even explode inside the lamp just like metal halides.
The flush mounts are rated for two 75 watt incandescents, the halogens draw only 43 watts while being an equivalent to a 60 watt.

Not all the ones that failed like this were in flushmonts but some where in wall sconces as well. My guess the same applies to the wall sconces?
Old 02-23-2012, 01:04 AM   #9
Modérateur

Quote:
The flush mounts are rated for two 75 watt incandescents, the halogens draw only 43 watts while being an equivalent to a 60 watt.

Not all the ones that failed like this were in flushmonts but some where in wall sconces as well. My guess the same applies to the wall sconces?
Oui they will do the same thing if stay in dimmed mode or only on for short time not let it get hot engough to cycle it properly.

The other thing it kinda clicked in my mind when you mention to me that you have dimmer in that customer's place did they used " green " dimmers aka perament reduced dimmer instead of conventail dimmer you can crank it up to full 100 % of voltage while the " green " dimmer only crank up about 80 to 90 % of line voltage so it may cause that issue.

Merci,
Marc
Old 02-23-2012, 07:12 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,446

I am sure you know the solution. Try a different non halogen and see what happens. Halogens get very hot and that is why they are usually a par lamp. I can't imagine the A lamp lasting long with the heat. It would also depend on the fixture it is in. If the fixture is enclosed then that would be worse.
Dennis Alwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:02 AM   #11
Heavily Armed Member

Quote:
The flush mounts are rated for two 75 watt incandescent, the halogens draw only 43 watts while being an equivalent to a 60 watt.

Remember that a 75 watt incandescent does not get as hot as a halogen lamp and i do not think that the flushmount fixtures are rated for halogen lamps at all because they get way too hot in fact about 3 time hotter..
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:33 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

That tells you the incandescent ban was a dumb idea. I have used a lot of those Sylvania halogens and have yet to have issues, even horizontally. All of the ones that burnt out still had crystal clear capsules. However as a light bulb expert as well as a hobbyist, I am always careful to check bulbs before buying, I check to make sure the filaments are straight, not sagging or touching the glass. I believe the issue with the blackened bulbs above is that it may have been a batch that was damaged in shipment, the filaments got badly stretched and touched the glass capsules, causing them to overheat and blacken/melt real bad. I also think the capsules in Sylvania halogens are way too small. The GE halogen bulbs have oversized capsules and I have not seen one with severely stretched filaments in a long time. Also, the halogens being hotter than standard incandescents isn't true. A 43w halogen is nearly as bright as a 60w incandescent and in my tests it is only a bit warmer than a standard 40w incandescent. They still seem to have problems with being incredibly fragile and somewhat unpredictable life however, and it's real dumb to ban conventional incandescents, it's bit too premature really.
WestyLightBulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestyLightBulb View Post
That tells you the incandescent ban was a dumb idea. I have used a lot of those Sylvania halogens and have yet to have issues, even horizontally. All of the ones that burnt out still had crystal clear capsules. However as a light bulb expert as well as a hobbyist, I am always careful to check bulbs before buying, I check to make sure the filaments are straight, not sagging or touching the glass. I believe the issue with the blackened bulbs above is that it may have been a batch that was damaged in shipment, the filaments got badly stretched and touched the glass capsules, causing them to overheat and blacken/melt real bad. I also think the capsules in Sylvania halogens are way too small. The GE halogen bulbs have oversized capsules and I have not seen one with severely stretched filaments in a long time. Also, the halogens being hotter than standard incandescents isn't true. A 43w halogen is nearly as bright as a 60w incandescent and in my tests it is only a bit warmer than a standard 40w incandescent. They still seem to have problems with being incredibly fragile and somewhat unpredictable life however, and it's real dumb to ban conventional incandescents, it's bit too premature really.
When I got these they were brand new at the time. Sylvania had just introduced them to the market. I will admit I ran into some newer ones just recently that didn't have this issue and just burnt out normally. I think one factor here was these might have been on dimmers or were just lemons being a new product. I agree the capsules on Sylvania are small. Others use a bigger capsule or even mount the filament horizontally like Fiet and some Chinese GEs.

By chance would you or anyone else know what flushmounts and other fixture can take in terms of halogens? I encounter this often on re-lamps.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:57 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 10

Well in those flushmount fixtures, to be safe don't exceed the rated equivalent wattage marked on the fixtures. If it says to use max 60w incandescent, then use 43w halogens or 15w CFLs or 9.5w-13.5w LEDs, all of these are 60w equivalents.

BTW yep I can tell the pictured bulbs are the older ones with the smaller A-17 outer bulbs, they have since gone to the regular A-19 size like on the old incandescents. That last pic of the package by the way was taken by me LOL.
WestyLightBulb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestyLightBulb View Post
Well in those flushmount fixtures, to be safe don't exceed the rated equivalent wattage marked on the fixtures. If it says to use max 60w incandescent, then use 43w halogens or 15w CFLs or 9.5w-13.5w LEDs, all of these are 60w equivalents.

BTW yep I can tell the pictured bulbs are the older ones with the smaller A-17 outer bulbs, they have since gone to the regular A-19 size like on the old incandescents. That last pic of the package by the way was taken by me LOL.

Thanks for your input! Ive noticed they are bigger now, don't know why they were smaller to start with. I have to admit the new GEs from Mexico are better than those Chinese ones. They seem to last longer. Good to know its your pic, sorry about that, I thought it was from Sylvania since it was one of the first to pop up on Google pics.