Heat tape on fuel line - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 10-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12
Default Heat tape on fuel line

Have a customer with an outside oil tank. The line that goes into the house occasionally freezes when temps reach 0. All of the heat tape I have come across says water line only not for fuel or gas. Any ideas?
oakleyrdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
BBQ
Salty Member

http://rolliesystems.com/lineheater.pdf
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BBQ For This Useful Post:
mxslick (10-12-2013), oakleyrdc (10-12-2013)
Old 10-12-2013, 10:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

You can count on BBQ to provide.
Service Call is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Service Call For This Useful Post:
hardworkingstiff (10-12-2013)
Old 10-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I have a diesel tractor that is stored outdoors all the time in Pennsylvania. I use a supplement added to the fuel to prevent jelling during the winter. Actually I use it year around and have never had a problem. Only takes a few ounces. I am not sure if they use it in home fuel oil tanks, maybe check with the fuel supply people on adding something to prevent jelling. Also posted a link to what I use. I get it at a truck stop. Just an idea for ya.

http://www.powerservice.com/dfs/
CyberKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CyberKnight For This Useful Post:
oakleyrdc (10-12-2013)
Old 10-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 622

Thermon BSX line would work.. Raychem BTV would also work.. Just get the right power and end kits, wire it up with a GFI breaker and you won't freeze...
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to glen1971 For This Useful Post:
Celtic (10-12-2013), oakleyrdc (10-12-2013)
Old 10-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKnight
I have a diesel tractor that is stored outdoors all the time in Pennsylvania. I use a supplement added to the fuel to prevent jelling during the winter. Actually I use it year around and have never had a problem. Only takes a few ounces. I am not sure if they use it in home fuel oil tanks, maybe check with the fuel supply people on adding something to prevent jelling. Also posted a link to what I use. I get it at a truck stop. Just an idea for ya. http://www.powerservice.com/dfs/
She says that she already uses an additive. I guess one of the problems was when it was installed the line should have been coming out of the top of the tank rather then the bottom. I was told that sediment on the bottom will get into the line and mixed with the cold weather could cause a very thick gel.
oakleyrdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
Rns

Rewards Points: 25

http://www.emersonindustrial.com/en-...s/default.aspx
Rns is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rns For This Useful Post:
oakleyrdc (10-12-2013)
Old 10-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

Yep on the sediment problem. I have seen some home fuel oil tanks with a filter at the tank but those are basement tanks. With it outside does not help with the cold and fuel oil jelling. I do not work on those systems only engines but its the same fuel more or less with the same cold problems. Maybe a good filter/ water separator at the tank plus additive may help. The filter/separator usually have a little drain in the bottom of the filter to drain crap out every once in awhile.
I would talk with the oil delivery people about it. Heat tape may help if ya can get the whole line wrapped, it only takes one little spot to plug things up.
Good luck hope ya figure it out for her.
CyberKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #9
BBQ
Salty Member

Don't re-invent the wheel, use a product designed to work with home heating fuel oil tanks.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BBQ For This Useful Post:
glen1971 (10-14-2013), hardworkingstiff (10-12-2013)
Old 10-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

They said that heating oil can gel in temperatures as "high as 10 degrees". I realize that in some parts of the country as HIGH as makes sense. But it sounds funny from the south. 10 degrees makes the news here.
s.kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 558

Most any of the industrial grade, oil resistant HEAT TRACING should work for this application. You would need to add an line voltage, ambient sensing thermostat. Yes, put this on a GFI circuit.
varmit is offline   Reply With Quote