Help getting licensed in Louisiana - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 03-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question Help getting licensed in Louisiana

Can someone please give me advice on getting licensed in the state of Louisiana? I have been doing research for hours. I'm confused as to weather I need to be incorporated first and do I need to bonded and insured before applying for my license. Or do I apply for my license first. If someone can give me the steps to be a licensed electrician would be great. I have approximately 12 years experience.
Crys0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #2

Whether*
Oops
Old 03-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 514

Apply for the license, complete all forms, choose how you plan to do business: i.e. sole, llc, incorp. Be sure to have the financial form certified by a CPA. If you haven't ordered the business law book get it and start studying. Good luck. You will need your bonding and insurance docs when you apply for your business license and federal tax id #.
rlc3854 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rlc3854 For This Useful Post:
Crys0911 (03-05-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Where in la are you gonna be working?
Supfoolitschris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 14

I am getting ready to apply to take the test to in louisiana also. The way I understand it is you need to have your proof of ins, financial statement, and show wether you are incorp, sole prop, llc etc at time you submit your application. You will get your business law study book when they process your app, that is part of the fee. Did you get on Louisiana licensing board of contractors web site?
dalafosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc3854 View Post
Apply for the license, complete all forms, choose how you plan to do business: i.e. sole, llc, incorp. Be sure to have the financial form certified by a CPA. If you haven't ordered the business law book get it and start studying. Good luck. You will need your bonding and insurance docs when you apply for your business license and federal tax id #.
I did read about the financial forms needed. Do you know if I have to have a certain amount of equity?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crys0911 View Post
I did read about the financial forms needed. Do you know if I have to have a certain amount of equity?

You must show a net worth of at least $10,000. The CPA will help you develope that net worth based on personal cash, real property and moveables, vehicles, equipment ect. It would be best if you had an account established for the business with cash in it, along with tools, equipment, vehicle and office equipment like computer, fax/telephone. Things that you already use in doing electrical work.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #8

Quote:
You must show a net worth of at least $10,000. The CPA will help you develope that net worth based on personal cash, real property and moveables, vehicles, equipment ect. It would be best if you had an account established for the business with cash in it, along with tools, equipment, vehicle and office equipment like computer, fax/telephone. Things that you already use in doing electrical work.
Thank you so much for all your help. I've got one more question for you (hopefully right?!). Can you give me a little info on being bonded and insured? Like approximate cost and which company to use. And once again thanks for your help. You have been great!!!!
Old 03-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #9
Senior Moment

Quote:
Thank you so much for all your help. I've got one more question for you (hopefully right?!). Can you give me a little info on being bonded and insured? Like approximate cost and which company to use. And once again thanks for your help. You have been great!!!!

You haven't listed what area you are in but, you could start with your current auto insurance agent if you have one for a reference in your area. There are a couple of different routes you could go by obtaining the least amount of liabilty for the size of jobs you believe you would bid or take. The same for a bond except it really is not that more expensive to go as high as a million dollar policy as a retainer. There is a member here WalkerJ who may jump in with a few answers, he is located in the Baton Rouge area.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #10

Quote:
You haven't listed what area you are in but, you could start with your current auto insurance agent if you have one for a reference in your area. There are a couple of different routes you could go by obtaining the least amount of liabilty for the size of jobs you believe you would bid or take. The same for a bond except it really is not that more expensive to go as high as a million dollar policy as a retainer. There is a member here WalkerJ who may jump in with a few answers, he is located in the Baton Rouge area.
Thank you very much. I messages walkerj. So let me get this straight. I have to have all that done (type of business, financial statement, bonded and insured) before I can apply for my license?????
Old 03-06-2013, 09:04 AM   #11
Senior Moment

Quote:
Thank you very much. I messages walkerj. So let me get this straight. I have to have all that done (type of business, financial statement, bonded and insured) before I can apply for my license?????
It appears so as I went to the license board site and reviewed the instructions and forms. Since Katrina the contractor license laws have changed considerably, for the most part better.

Before moving to Louisiana from California in 2005 I bought the business law book to study and found a 1999 NEC as the test was based on at that time. After Katrina the state established the use of more recent codes including the NEC along with requiring building permits and inspections.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:33 AM   #12

Quote:
It appears so as I went to the license board site and reviewed the instructions and forms. Since Katrina the contractor license laws have changed considerably, for the most part better.

Before moving to Louisiana from California in 2005 I bought the business law book to study and found a 1999 NEC as the test was based on at that time. After Katrina the state established the use of more recent codes including the NEC along with requiring building permits and inspections.
That's interesting. Well I'm going to give this a shot. I'm in the Baton Rouge area so when I make it big ill give you all the credit!
The Following User Says Thank You to Crys0911 For This Useful Post:
rlc3854 (03-06-2013)