CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 03-23-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

Default How did you start your company?

How many years were you in the electrical industry before you became your own contractor?

Were you a journey men before you were a contractor?

Im just courious as to how some of you guys got started with your own company in the electrical industry.

Last edited by Kenny951; 03-23-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Kenny951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-23-2011, 11:29 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny951 View Post
How many years were you in the electrical industry before you became your own C-10 contractor?

Were you a journey men before you were a contractor? Or did you go straight for the C-10?

Im just courious as to how some of you guys got started with your own company in the electrical industry.
You question pertains to our California member s only. To my knowledge C-10 means nothing to most electricians outside CA.

brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brian john For This Useful Post:
The_Modifier (03-27-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
Registered Member

your right. I will edit that.
Kenny951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:45 PM   #4
Nothin' To Lose

I worked for 19 years before going out on my own.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:48 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to doubleoh7

After I got out of trade school, I worked for 6 months before starting my own business. I am in Southern Illinois. No licensing required here.
doubleoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:51 PM   #6
Heavily Armed Member

Quote:
How many years were you in the electrical industry before you became your own contractor?

I had 21 years in the trade so 16 years ago i went out on my own..

I wanted to make more money so that is why i did...
Magnettica (03-24-2011), The_Modifier (03-27-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 11:57 PM   #7
Registered Member

Concerning my friend Jarrod who owns his own electrical contracting company and probably the only time I ever work as an electrician being when he needs help and I need the money:

I think he started out as an electrical apprentice at around the age of 17 or 18, kept his time and the last year that Texas had for grandfather clausing into a journeyman position he did so (he picked up and left the job site, leaving me there with the rest of the crew, in Corpus Christi as he didn't believe that the owners of the electrical company from back here in Houston and whom he got me a job with back then had turned in his application and time to the state) himself so in the end his time was turned in twice once he got back to Houston and then drove straight to Austin with his info. He got his J-card and started going to school, took the test three times and finally passed his master's exam at the age of 29, went the following week and paid the $16 for a DBA and off he went out on his own.

He's owned his own company for going on four years now.

Last edited by Roadhouse; 03-24-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 11:59 PM   #8

I started working as an apprentice about 11 years back; it started slow but steady. When I got the required hours (minimum 8000 hrs), schooling (720 hours) and experience I took the Certification exam. I passed that and started working as a Journeyman, did that for about 5 years before deciding to take the Contractor's License Exam (of course, I had met all the requirements set forth by the state to qualify for the exam). I just got my license back in December - so, I'm new at this too, but going at it full force!
Old 03-24-2011, 12:00 AM   #9
Registered Member

My question is how many of you were PM's or Asst PM's before taking the plunge?
miller_elex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:02 AM   #10

Quote:

Are you a journeyman ready for the C-10 exam? PM me if you've got questions, I'd be happy to help in any way I can.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:10 AM   #11
Senile Member

I was in the trade 10 years before going out on my own. Then I did a 5 year stint working for a defense company (not doing electrical work- doing management stuff) in the middle of it cause the money was out of this world. That 5 years was pretty hard, I was burning the candle at both ends. Midnight oil.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:14 AM   #12
Nothin' To Lose

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
I was in the trade 10 years before going out on my own. Then I did a 5 year stint working for a defense company (not doing electrical work- doing management stuff) in the middle of it cause the money was out of this world. That 5 years was pretty hard, I was burning the candle at both ends. Midnight oil.

Midnight Oil? Did somebody say Midnight Oil?

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Rudeboy (03-24-2011)
Old 03-24-2011, 12:22 AM   #13
I have a black cat.

CL
Old 03-24-2011, 08:12 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
I was in the trade for 27 years before I opened my own shop. Ten of those years I was a member of the IBEW
Quote:

I held a masters license for many years
Quote:

I opened my business because thats what I wanted to do it wasnt a desperation move like many today . I spent time planning and doing things to help ensure its success and it was starting to payoff but the downturn has put off the reward phase of my business but the planning i did has helped us keep our doors open through this.
Mr Rewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #15
NRA Member

I was an electrician for 18 years, 15 as a IBEW member. Got my class A masters and quit to start my own company. Planned the leaving for a little over a year. That was 7 years ago.
backstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Years?

I started doing side work after about 6 weeks in the trade.

My longest stint with an employer was probably 2 years. At some point I started taking on small general contracting jobs to stay busy. I made pretty good money in the 80's and 90's running the low overhead, mostly cash business.

In 94 (I think) I started a legit business, strictly electrical. I still do an occasional remodel side job just for the hell of it. Business was rockin until about 2.5 years ago. Today, I'm back digging ditches.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #17

I was tired of working for aholes that really didnt get IT. Went through IBEW apprenticship and just before I turned out i went to work service driving around pretty much being my own boss. But on someone elses dime. Their truck, tools, ect. When work slowed I got my layoff and started my company. BEST THING I EVER DID
ratrod56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #18

I have been in the trade 40 years.
Licensed JW for 37 1/2 of those
Licensed master 36 of those.
Union member or signatory contractor for 32 years.
Went in business in 1984.

I worked for a NETA testing firm and came in on Monday and was told by the parent company that they were closing our division. I asked what I was suppose to do and they owner said I do not give a "F" what you do.

So I went in business, shortly after going in business the company I had worked for brought us up on charges at the hall for stealing customers. Hall gave us a hard time in something that was NOT THE UNION's BUSINESS.

My old company is now my customer as is every firm I have worked for (except two that are out of business).
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:30 PM   #19
Anti Political

I started slowly. Very slowly. Planning and research are just as necessary as electrical work to charge for....

It is still slow, very slow.
mdfriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:04 AM   #20

Work ran out with my old boss when the economy took a dump. Rather than having you pay me to sit on my can, I started getting whatever small jobs I could, electrical and other. Filled out my paperwork, studied my rear off, prayed, and passed the masters test. I have a lot to learn about running a business, but made it through the first year and a half with no major debt and a growing customer base. Btw, learning a lot from this forum. Thx to you all for sharing your knowledge and insight.

Honestly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Honestly For This Useful Post:
brian john (03-25-2011)