Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #61
Heavily Armed Member
 
HARRY304E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Not Available In Massholechussetts
Posts: 38,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
This town's building department gave a 4 hour window and said the inspector won't call before coming to my job (which is all too common). I could have tried to charge the customer $600 extra to sit there and wait for 4 hours, but I doubt they would have paid it.

There would have been absolutely no benefit for me to be there in this situation.

Here is the issue,permits and inspections should be figured into your formula to come up with your grand total spread out over the year.

Your electrical inspector called you out in front of your client,,putting fear and doubt into his or her mind about your ability to perform electrical work,even if the client said nothing it's in their mind now for good,if they write up a review about your business on any of the sites such as service magic and they say you failed your inspection,,others could read that and it will scare them off.

On the other hand going to your inspections allows you to control it and keep the client out of the loop,in many cases the inspector will just tell you out of earshot to fix something such as popping in a few KO'S .

I find it very unprofessional for an inspector to tell the client that you failed without first calling you to tell you so.

This why I go to everyone of them.

__________________
ES2 Flat Rate Software
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HARRY304E For This Useful Post:
Chris1971 (08-16-2013), Grogan14 (08-16-2013)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!
Old 08-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #62
8 n Skate
 
SVT CAMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: At the rink
Posts: 829
Default

A resi guy! I thought you were a commercial sparky.

As far as your inspection goes. I bet he did not even open the panel cover and look for real issues. The guy is a flake. Like B4T said a ph call would have worked. What a waste of time. I would not pull permits either. um
SVT CAMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #63
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: US
Posts: 11,937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT CAMR View Post
A resi guy! I thought you were a commercial sparky.

As far as your inspection goes. I bet he did not even open the panel cover and look for real issues. The guy is a flake. Like B4T said a ph call would have worked. What a waste of time. I would not pull permits either. um
The OP failed because of a code violation. Learn from your mistakes and move on.
Chris1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris1971 For This Useful Post:
SVT CAMR (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #64
Jesus Scott
 
electricmanscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 9,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1971 View Post
The OP failed because of a code violation. Learn from your mistakes and move on.
Much easier, and more fun, to blame everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
This town's building department gave a 4 hour window and said the inspector won't call before coming to my job (which is all too common). I could have tried to charge the customer $600 extra to sit there and wait for 4 hours, but I doubt they would have paid it.

There would have been absolutely no benefit for me to be there in this situation.
Sure there would have been. You could have explained why the connectors were there and this whole thing avoided.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360max View Post
I wish Mayor Bloomberg would bankroll Obama, so we can get the law changed, so Obama can run for a third term.
electricmanscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #65
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRY304E View Post
Here is the issue,permits and inspections should be figured into your formula to come up with your grand total spread out over the year.

Your electrical inspector called you out in front of your client,,putting fear and doubt into his or her mind about your ability to perform electrical work,even if the client said nothing it's in their mind now for good,if they write up a review about your business on any of the sites such as service magic and they say you failed your inspection,,others could read that and it will scare them off.

On the other hand going to your inspections allows you to control it and keep the client out of the loop,in many cases the inspector will just tell you out of earshot to fix something such as popping in a few KO'S .

I find it very unprofessional for an inspector to tell the client that you failed without first calling you to tell you so.

This why I go to everyone of them.
That's fine, you could do it your way. If you read what I said earlier, the homeowner was completely on my side in this instance and doesn't doubt my ability.

I have another service change in Woodbridge Township in which the inspector gives a 7 hour window and won't call, Should I sit there all day waiting for that inspector too?
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #66
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT CAMR View Post
A resi guy! I thought you were a commercial sparky.
I was when in the union, not now.
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #67
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmanscott View Post
Sure there would have been. You could have explained why the connectors were there and this whole thing avoided.
What "whole thing" would have been avoided? You haven't pointed out any negative.


If I fixed it on the spot and didn't fail, we would have never had this great thread
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #68
Jesus Scott
 
electricmanscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 9,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
What "whole thing" would have been avoided? You haven't pointed out any negative.


If I fixed it on the spot and didn't fail, we would have never had this great thread
But you'd still have your perfect record. Now there is only one electrician in the universe that can make that claim.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360max View Post
I wish Mayor Bloomberg would bankroll Obama, so we can get the law changed, so Obama can run for a third term.
electricmanscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #69
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,359
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmanscott View Post
But you'd still have your perfect record. Now there is only one electrician in the universe that can make that claim.
I don't think there is any record. It's like that permanent record they tell you about in high school, the one that will follow you around for the rest of your life, but when you're older you find out that it's all bullsh1t!
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #70
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: US
Posts: 11,937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmanscott View Post
But you'd still have your perfect record. Now there is only one electrician in the universe that can make that claim.
BBQ?
Chris1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:34 PM   #71
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricmanscott View Post
Now there is only one electrician in the universe that can make that claim.
No doubt that would be Peter D.
VTL Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #72
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 3,213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARRY304E View Post
Here is the issue,permits and inspections should be figured into your formula to come up with your grand total spread out over the year.

Your electrical inspector called you out in front of your client,,putting fear and doubt into his or her mind about your ability to perform electrical work,even if the client said nothing it's in their mind now for good,if they write up a review about your business on any of the sites such as service magic and they say you failed your inspection,,others could read that and it will scare them off.

On the other hand going to your inspections allows you to control it and keep the client out of the loop,in many cases the inspector will just tell you out of earshot to fix something such as popping in a few KO'S .

I find it very unprofessional for an inspector to tell the client that you failed without first calling you to tell you so.

This why I go to everyone of them.
I been averaging 3 or 4 inspections a week. I cant set aside a day for each of them to wait around for an inspector. When would I get any work done?

I did have one recently tell me I had to schedule the job so he could be there while I installed an inlet because he didn't want to have to open the panel. He only works from 11am to 12:30 3 days a week and takes a 30 minute lunch on 2 of those days. Took me 3 weeks just to get him on the phone. Of course this is the same retart that insist I install a ground rod with an alligator clamp for the portable generator that isn't there. This is just one 45 minute job. I did 2 service changes ( 1was metermain and riser only) Ran a 3PH 30 amp 4 wire ckt for a teabagger across a warehouse, roughed a house, finaled 2 apartments, installed 2 interlock inlets and 1 reliant transfer panel this week.

How could I possibly be at every inspection?
Goldagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #73
Heavily Armed Member
 
HARRY304E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Not Available In Massholechussetts
Posts: 38,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
That's fine, you could do it your way. If you read what I said earlier, the homeowner was completely on my side in this instance and doesn't doubt my ability.
So you did a 'Vulcan mind meld' with the client?

Remember , what they tell you does not make it so.
__________________
ES2 Flat Rate Software
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #74
Heavily Armed Member
 
HARRY304E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Not Available In Massholechussetts
Posts: 38,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
That's fine, you could do it your way. If you read what I said earlier, the homeowner was completely on my side in this instance and doesn't doubt my ability.

I have another service change in Woodbridge Township in which the inspector gives a 7 hour window and won't call, Should I sit there all day waiting for that inspector too?
Hey if it's in your price why not!
__________________
ES2 Flat Rate Software
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #75
Heavily Armed Member
 
HARRY304E's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Not Available In Massholechussetts
Posts: 38,405
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldagain View Post
I been averaging 3 or 4 inspections a week. I cant set aside a day for each of them to wait around for an inspector. When would I get any work done?

I did have one recently tell me I had to schedule the job so he could be there while I installed an inlet because he didn't want to have to open the panel. He only works from 11am to 12:30 3 days a week and takes a 30 minute lunch on 2 of those days. Took me 3 weeks just to get him on the phone. Of course this is the same retart that insist I install a ground rod with an alligator clamp for the portable generator that isn't there. This is just one 45 minute job. I did 2 service changes ( 1was metermain and riser only) Ran a 3PH 30 amp 4 wire ckt for a teabagger across a warehouse, roughed a house, finaled 2 apartments, installed 2 interlock inlets and 1 reliant transfer panel this week.

How could I possibly be at every inspection?
It's not possible with that bull chit,,,we don't put up with that crap here.

__________________
ES2 Flat Rate Software
HARRY304E is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Have you ever been failed for this? CooperElec NEC Code Forum 60 06-04-2013 11:31 PM
Failed UPS. What does this mean? nolabama General Electrical Discussion 27 01-27-2012 04:29 PM
Failed......???? jwjrw General Electrical Discussion 23 12-16-2010 09:36 PM
I failed for what? joe cool General Electrical Discussion 23 06-04-2010 12:25 PM
Failed C2 by 2 Vegas Cole NEC Code Forum 1 03-28-2010 11:32 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Copyright 2006-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2