CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 04-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default i need help like asap.

now iam a union apprentice electrician who has a test on the njatc theory demonstrator and i need help. my teacher is to smart for his own good and i work eight straight twelves this week and i would like to know is their a place online where i could get help or could yall draw some diagrams on how to find voltage, current, and ohms on series and parallel circuits. please i need help cause i dont want to flunk out my first years cause of this damn trainer.

iamtheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Rewards Points: 2,080

Pick up a copy of "Shaum's Outlines - Basic Electricity" it does a pretty good job on the fundamentals and has test questions at the end of each chapter.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
Electrical Foreman

Why would it be the instructors fault that you failed to prepare for the test? I'm sure you had more than 1 week's notice for the exam. About 1/2 of the apprentices flunk out of first year. Those that take it seriously succeed, those who don't fail. Use this as a learning experience. There is a reason why we are deservedly the highest paid tradesmen. It takes study & effort both on the job & in the classroom to make it.
electriscott is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to electriscott For This Useful Post:
toolaholic (04-28-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by electriscott View Post
Why would it be the instructors fault that you failed to prepare for the test? I'm sure you had more than 1 week's notice for the exam. About 1/2 of the apprentices flunk out of first year. Those that take it seriously succeed, those who don't fail. Use this as a learning experience. There is a reason why we are deservedly the highest paid tradesmen. It takes study & effort both on the job & in the classroom to make it.

i definitely prepared for the test but the teacher cant bring it down to laymens terms. im just trying to make it through first year buddy
The Following User Says Thank You to iamtheville For This Useful Post:
toolaholic (04-28-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #5

and i need help on the trainer. you know the machine that has the resistors?
Old 04-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,030

How do you squeeze 8 days into a week? That's the real question?
Just busting your stones.

The uglies book has the ohms law broken into any combination you may need.good luck
NacBooster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NacBooster29 For This Useful Post:
toolaholic (04-28-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #7

no not the ohms law. look we have dc theory on a trainer and you have to use a multimeter to find voltage, ohms, and current. do i have any union electricians in here who understands the question?
Old 04-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

It's purely resistive circuits right? no inductors or capacitors? if so just remember V=IR V is constant in parallel circuits. I is constant in series circuits. From that, you should be able to solve any question
Dextrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrine View Post
It's purely resistive circuits right? no inductors or capacitors? if so just remember V=IR V is constant in parallel circuits. I is constant in series circuits. From that, you should be able to solve any question
i understand that but its putting circuits together on the trainer and then using the multimeter to show the teacher that you know how to do it on the trainer. i.e. hands on. plz somebody who is with the union help me. they know what trainer im talking about.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

You sure make it easy for someone to want to help you out.
Deep Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Deep Cover For This Useful Post:
220/221 (04-21-2013), Bbsound (04-23-2013), heavysparky (04-24-2013), jayw (04-23-2013), michael3 (04-22-2013), ramco (04-22-2013), Vintage Sounds (04-22-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 02:11 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 252

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheville
plz somebody who is with the union help me. they know what trainer im talking about.
I'm in the union and we didn't use "the trainer". Every local has a different setup. Every body here is being helpful you just aren't listening!

Whatever this trainer is all you have to do is understand and apply basic ohms law. If you don't know ohms law by now you are screwed on this test!

Go to Home Depot and pick up an Uglys book, it will serve you throughout your career and has examples of how to solve problems using ohms law.
local134gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:18 PM   #12

no i understand ohms law and im thankful for all yall help no lie. well any of yall in the local 369 or understand the njatc theory demonstrator?
Old 04-21-2013, 02:25 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,006

I put together a trainer that had all the same wires (including the same colors) going into the back and out the front to switches, contactors, receptacles, lamps etc.

The whole idea was to encourage students to use test equipment to wire, trace and troubleshoot circuits without pulling on wires.

I also wrapped components into numbered boxes with leads hanging out and the students were required to identify the resistors, capacitors, diodes etc. by testing methods.

I did everything I could to help the students learn, not be a hard a$$.
Semi-Ret Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Semi-Ret Electrician For This Useful Post:
chicken steve (04-21-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #14
Conservitum Americum

Rewards Points: 2,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrine View Post

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
Old 04-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #15
Conservitum Americum

Rewards Points: 2,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheville View Post
i understand that but its putting circuits together on the trainer and then using the multimeter to show the teacher that you know how to do it on the trainer. i.e. hands on. plz somebody who is with the union help me. they know what trainer im talking about.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LARMGUY For This Useful Post:
Deep Cover (04-21-2013), toolaholic (04-28-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #16
Premium Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

This is why you will make the big bucks ! Ohms law will guide you.
dronai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 75

Sounds like ou do understand the theory. If you do and you know the resistor color code, then you should be able to work on the trainer. You should be just confirming what you already know with your meter.
keepdry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #18

ok let me start again. so how does knowing ohms law going to help me for a hands on trainer? just a question
Old 04-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #19
Large Member

Rewards Points: 2,070

backstay (04-28-2013), stuiec (04-21-2013), Vintage Sounds (04-22-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #20
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 2,126
Send a message via ICQ to wildleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheville View Post
ok let me start again. so how does knowing ohms law going to help me for a hands on trainer? just a question
I agree with ^, you didn't study. the trainer is just a physical equivalent of series and parallel circuits. ohms law and kirchoffs law tell you how to solve the circuits. nodes add to zero for current (kirchoffs law). if you didn't study the material, shame on you. find series and parallel ckts on line or go to a book store and solve the practice examples. knowing the 2 of any 3 parameters accross a series resistance tells you the 3rd (what your voltmeter or ammeter will tell you). start studying, sounds like you are going to fail.

As President Roosevelt said: "We have nothing to fear but fear itself. And Chuck Norris. And 滿口胡言. And Grabthar's hammer. And Gort. and 江南 Style. and rotting in the street and Zombies . . . and Wayne Griffen "
wildleg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wildleg For This Useful Post:
Semi-Ret Electrician (04-21-2013)