Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 07-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #1

Default interconnected smoke detectors

I cant find my book anywhere
I am doing a re-wire of all the outlets in a house, the lighting has already been done by someone else a few years ago. Is it required to install interconnected smoke detectors? It currently has battery operated ones.
Im thinking that if they aren't part of my scope then they are fine to leave how they are.

paul_arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
Registered Member

It's not an NEC issue. It would be covered by your building or fire codes. Here, it's under the state fire code and all fire alarm and smoke detectors are inspected by the local fire marshall or fire department. Check your municipal offices for the answer.

user4818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #3

okay thanks for the info. I will give them a call when they open up.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #4
Ambassador of Amps

In CA, if you are doing a service upgrade you are usually required to have battery smokes. If you have a certain percentage of wallboard removed, you are required to install interconnected. if you are just swaping out recepts, no IC smokes are needed.

Advertising space available. Inquire within.
TOOL_5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #5

try to sell the customer the 120v interconnected ones, explain to them its to their advantage to have it done now.
360max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #6

Don't forget about the carbon monoxide detectors!!
J. Temple is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J. Temple For This Useful Post:
360max (07-05-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #7

I talked to the inspector this morning and yeah, not required for me to install interconnected smoke detectors. I did give a price if they would like them installed as well
Old 07-06-2012, 12:33 AM   #8

i had a customer today who insisted on battery operated smokes only. after i mentioned that mom would wake to a detector that went off in her daughter's room (due to interlock), the customer quickly saw things my way. the only reason he wanted battery operated only is because his went off once and he couldn't get them to stop.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carryyourbooks View Post
i had a customer today who insisted on battery operated smokes only. after i mentioned that mom would wake to a detector that went off in her daughter's room (due to interlock), the customer quickly saw things my way. the only reason he wanted battery operated only is because his went off once and he couldn't get them to stop.
There are wireless interconnected smoke/CO detectors should they really want to go that way.
KGN742003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KGN742003 For This Useful Post:
J. Temple (07-06-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGN742003

There are wireless interconnected smoke/CO detectors should they really want to go that way.
I didn't know they had wireless one. That may be a great solution on some remodels!
J. Temple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #11
God-fearing Volt-head

Send a message via ICQ to janagyjr Send a message via AIM to janagyjr Send a message via MSN to janagyjr Send a message via Yahoo to janagyjr Send a message via Skype™ to janagyjr

I installed some wired interconnected smoke/CO2 detectors on a new construction trim-out...easiest part of the whole job.

Around here, if you pull a permit EI mandates smoke detectors of some sort or he won't pass.

janagyjr is offline   Reply With Quote