CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 08-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #1

Default inverse time breaker

I was recently looking over some specs. for a diesel exhaust removal system. the specs say the breaker must be a 60 amp inverse time breaker since it is a motor circuit, so i call supply house and ask for price on breaker and the guy says he's never heard of an inverse time breaker, in fact none of the counter people had, so i guess my question is when you buy a 60 amp 2-pole breaker is it an inverse time (are all breakers inverse time?) or is it something i'll have to go to the manufacturer for??
any info would help, thx

ohiosparky99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-24-2010, 05:49 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Murphy

I believe all breakers are now inverse time.. you dont buy a special breaker for your ac or other motor loads.. the normal breakers you buy should be qualified.. but im not a 100% on this

Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
I own stock in FotoMat!

Most off-the-shelf breakers have two modes used to trip it.

One is a magnetic system, which detects a gawd-awful amount of current (usually caused by a short circuit).

The other is a thermal system, which, depending on the amount of current, will take difference amounts of time to trip.

A 20a breaker will not trip at 20.000000000001 amps. It may not ever trip at 22 or 23 amps. It may trip in 5 minutes at 25 amps, 1 minute at 30 amps, 15 seconds at 40 amps, etc. This is what is meant by 'inverse time'.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
I void warranties

Almost all molded case breakers are inverse time.
Jlarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:00 PM   #5
Donuts > Fried Eggs

I believe the only molded case breakers that aren't inverse time are ones that only have a magnetic-trip.

All "inverse time" means is that as the current goes up, the time to trip decreases. I may be talking out of my back-side, but I think any breaker with a "trip curve" qualifies as an "inverse time" breaker. That trip curve is nothing but a graph of how time decreases as the current increases.

-John
Old 08-24-2010, 06:16 PM   #6

sounds good, you learn something everyday, thanks for the help
Old 08-24-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
animal lover /rat bastard

Send a message via ICQ to wildleg

what supply house was that ?
As President Roosevelt said: "We have nothing to fear but fear itself. And Chuck Norris. And 滿口胡言. And Grabthar's hammer. And Gort. and 江南 Style. and rotting in the street and Zombies . . . and Wayne Griffen "
wildleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:10 PM   #8
Zog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiosparky99 View Post
sounds good, you learn something everyday, thanks for the help
Everything that was said above is correct, I am shocked a supply house guy would not know that.
Zog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #9

State electric
Old 08-24-2010, 08:33 PM   #10
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog View Post
Everything that was said above is correct, I am shocked a supply house guy would not know that.
I ain't. A lot of suppliers are on the ball, but I've run into some serious yokels; the guy who thought a quad receptacle cover was called a "duplex," because "duplex" means "two" and a quad holds two "normal" receptacles.

-John