CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 03-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Journeyman's License Requirements in NJ?

hey guys, having some trouble finding the requirements for the NJ journeyman's license. are any of you from nj and have your license? is there any website i could go to that breaks it down state-by-state?i am mainly looking for the basics; length of apprenticeship, testing, insurance....

PDA22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #2
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDA22 View Post
hey guys, having some trouble finding the requirements for the NJ journeyman's license. are any of you from nj and have your license? is there any website i could go to that breaks it down state-by-state?i am mainly looking for the basics; length of apprenticeship, testing, insurance....

There was a similar question regarding PA awhile back the rules for PA and NJ are almost the same.(except NJ has state wide licensing and PA doesn't)

Here was the answer I provided for the PA question,hopefully this will help you out.

Quote:
A P.W. job is prevailing wage's.Government jobs that pay a defined wage(usually the local unions Journeyman wage and benefit package).
Davis-Bacon by State
In PA. This is how it works,to be an apprentice(as an official title.)You have to be enrolled in a state approved apprenticeship and registered as such with the PA dept. of labor.This is accomplished two ways.First way is to be enrolled in a local unions apprenticeship program.The second way is to be enrolled in the ABC's apprenticeship.The IECA is another organization but I don't think they offer an apprenticeship program.After completion of the apprenticeship you become a journeyman electrician and receive a journeyman card.

As a journeyman you are entitled to run work or work unsupervised.

Now in PA this is all only necessary if you A) work on P.W. jobs or B) are in a local union and enrolled in the program as required by the collective bargaining agreement.

Now none of this is "required" to do electrical work in Pennsylvania.(outside of PW jobs)The only thing that is required to do electrical work in PA. is either hold an electrical license and insurance OR work under someone who holds a license.

To obtain the license is different in each part of the state.In Philadelphia you have to take a test and you have to have a documented 4 years experience working as an electrician before your allowed to take the test.(I'm not sure if the 4 years is still required or not)

Only a legit license holder can pull a permit and a permit is required to act as an electrical contractor.

Some of this information I gave you might vary from area to area and change a little from time to time.Just have to research the townships/municipalitie were your interested to work at.
Basically just swap PA for NJ and there your requirements.AS for each states requirements you'll have to do a little searching on google for that one.

This is probably pretty close for jersey,As I have worked in both NJ and Pennsy.

Last edited by slickvic277; 03-28-2010 at 03:34 PM.
slickvic277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #3
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 150

NJ has no real journeyman/master license.

Local 164 was lobbying for some journeyman certification that they had their members get in an attempt to promote the union men, but it didn't go anywhere. AFAIK it's on the books but its not enforced.

It's a big joke. In NJ they ban or restrict EVERYTHING, you can't even possess a slingshot anywhere in the state, yet there are no restrictions for being an electrician.

The only license is for Electrical Contractors, but that only helps when dealing with a small shop in which the owner/license holder is also a worker. In any other case the electrician doing the work doesn't hold any type of license, certification, or any thing requiring a minimum of experience/skill.

I wish they would start a journeymen program and also raise the contractor license experience requirement to 10 years. I don't think 5 years of apprenticeship is enough for a person to go out and be an EC on his own.

That's just my opinion, but I think most of the current NJ EC's would agree. I know a lot of union men who finished their 5 year apprenticeship and went for their EC license. They paid the money for the material and study courses and got their licenses. Some of these guys are glorified laborers and coffee boys. Other's are competent electrician, but still not at the level that they should be in order to run a contracting company, IMO.

Last edited by BadContact; 03-28-2010 at 04:26 PM.
BadContact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickvic277 View Post
There was a similar question regarding PA awhile back the rules for PA and NJ are almost the same.(except NJ has state wide licensing and PA doesn't)

Here was the answer I provided for the PA question,hopefully this will help you out.

Basically just swap PA for NJ and there your requirements.AS for each states requirements you'll have to do a little searching on google for that one.

This is probably pretty close for jersey,As I have worked in both NJ and Pennsy.
That is no way at all ANYTHING like NJ's license.

If you don't know why would you give the guy a wrong answer?

Bad contact answer was what NJ's is.
robnj772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnj772 View Post
That is no way at all ANYTHING like NJ's license.

If you don't know why would you give the guy a wrong answer?

Bad contact answer was what NJ's is.
"The only thing that is required to do electrical work in NJ. is either hold an electrical license and insurance OR work under someone who holds a license. "

There I just swapped PA for NJ so what did I miss besides bonding and cont.education?
Old 03-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
"The only thing that is required to do electrical work in NJ. is either hold an electrical license and insurance OR work under someone who holds a license. "

There I just swapped PA for NJ so what did I miss besides bonding and cont.education?
The bonding and CE are only a requirement for the EC, not the Journeyman.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
Registered Member

To work in Jersey as an electrical contractor you need the electrical license plus bonding and insurance,Right?

To work as an electrician you don't need either as long as the contractor(that your employed by) has them,Right?

There's no journeyman requirements to work in Jersey except for prevailing wage jobs,Right?

So what did I miss?
Old 03-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadContact View Post
The bonding and CE are only a requirement for the EC, not the Journeyman.
That's what I said.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
There's no journeyman requirements to work in Jersey except for prevailing wage jobs,Right?
There is no journeyman requirement on PW jobs at all. The only requirement is that you are not an apprentice. If you are ANYTHING except an apprentice (meaning a laborer, a car washer, a homeless drunk bum) you are entitled to PW pay as a journeyman.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
That's what I said.
Oh, the thread is about Journeyman, not EC's.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:37 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
To work in Jersey as an electrical contractor you need the electrical license plus bonding and insurance,Right?

To work as an electrician you don't need either as long as the contractor(that your employed by) has them,Right?

So what did I miss?
This is exactly the same for PA except we don't have a state wide license(stupid I know) and some municipalities don't require a license for residential work(again stupid)...

So like I said pretty much the same for both Pa and Jersey.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
There is no journeyman requirement on PW jobs at all. The only requirement is that you are not an apprentice. If you are ANYTHING except an apprentice (meaning a laborer, a car washer, a homeless drunk bum) you are entitled to PW pay as a journeyman.

Then there is some PW work were apprentices are not allowed and they require a journeyman card for all electricians.

But I see what you mean when you say "no journeyman requirement"
Old 03-28-2010, 06:42 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Oh, the thread is about Journeyman, not EC's.

oops isn't there egg on my face.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:44 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
oops isn't there egg on my face.
It's ok, I'm not going to yell at you like rob did.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #15
NJ-IEC Member

Rewards Points: 2,032

Quote:
NJ has no real journeyman/master license.

Local 164 was lobbying for some journeyman certification that they had their members get in an attempt to promote the union men, but it didn't go anywhere. AFAIK it's on the books but its not enforced.

It's a big joke. In NJ they ban or restrict EVERYTHING, you can't even possess a slingshot anywhere in the state, yet there are no restrictions for being an electrician.

The only license is for Electrical Contractors, but that only helps when dealing with a small shop in which the owner/license holder is also a worker. In any other case the electrician doing the work doesn't hold any type of license, certification, or any thing requiring a minimum of experience/skill.

I wish they would start a journeymen program and also raise the contractor license experience requirement to 10 years. I don't think 5 years of apprenticeship is enough for a person to go out and be an EC on his own.

That's just my opinion, but I think most of the current NJ EC's would agree. I know a lot of union men who finished their 5 year apprenticeship and went for their EC license. They paid the money for the material and study courses and got their licenses. Some of these guys are glorified laborers and coffee boys. Other's are competent electrician, but still not at the level that they should be in order to run a contracting company, IMO.
Well, there might not be a "journeymen" class for non-union workers, but there's no way ANYONE gets paid as an electrician if they don't know what they're doing after 5 years. After they do their 5 years of working under a licensed EC they still have pass a pretty difficult test and no one passes that test unless they know their way around the code book. I think it's safe to say that yes after 5 years most electricians may know the book but don't have enough practical experience. Nobody knows everything, but to run a business you pretty much need to know almost everything.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnettica View Post
After they do their 5 years of working under a licensed EC they still have pass a pretty difficult test
What test does a journeyman electrician have to pass in NJ? Where is that requirement?

Quote:
I think it's safe to say that yes after 5 years most electricians may know the book but don't have enough practical experience. Nobody knows everything, but to run a business you pretty much need to know almost everything.
Agreed.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:02 PM   #17
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 75

Speaking of licensing in PA, does Erie, PA still administer a closed book test? As I recall that test (circa 1984) it had multiple fill-in-the-blank questions, and unless I'm mistaken, if you missed one part of a question, you missed the whole question. I had heard that someone sued Erie to have a professional testing agency administer the test. Don't know if that's fact, or the outcome of it if the suit actually happened.

...Man that was was one rough test. No doubt it was one of the roughest tests I've ever taken. Almost as rough as getting to the test site -- up hill both ways, barefoot in snow up to your chest...
ColoradoMaster3768 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:40 PM   #18
NJ-IEC Member

Rewards Points: 2,032

Quote:
What test does a journeyman electrician have to pass in NJ? Where is that requirement?

There isn't one. The only way to validate your experience is to get the license and electricians in NJ can do that after 5 years of working power and lighting systems. I think that's a good thing.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:48 PM   #19
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 2,020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMaster3768 View Post
Speaking of licensing in PA, does Erie, PA still administer a closed book test? As I recall that test (circa 1984) it had multiple fill-in-the-blank questions, and unless I'm mistaken, if you missed one part of a question, you missed the whole question. I had heard that someone sued Erie to have a professional testing agency administer the test. Don't know if that's fact, or the outcome of it if the suit actually happened.

...Man that was was one rough test. No doubt it was one of the roughest tests I've ever taken. Almost as rough as getting to the test site -- up hill both ways, barefoot in snow up to your chest...
I get a lot of crap from people on the 'net about not having a state license, but they don't understand that your experience in Erie is somewhat normal here in PA. Instead of getting to take one standardized test from an actual testing company, I get to take a multitude of local tests; some designed by Satan himself to fail you.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:25 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDA22 View Post
Here you go
N.J.A.C
. 13:31-5.1 Registration as qualified journeyman electrician

The term “Qualified Journeyman Electrician” as used in N.J.S.A. 45:5A-18(k) or N.J.A.C. 13:31-3.4 shall mean and include any person
who is either: (1) The holder of a current valid license to practice electrical contracting issued by the Board; or (2) A person who has
acquired 8,000 hours of practical experience working with tools in the installation, alteration, or repair of wiring for electric light, heat
or power and who has had a minimum of 576 classroom hours of related instruction. The requirement of practical experience shall not
include time spent in supervising, engineering, estimating, and other managerial tasks. At least 4,000 hours of the practical experience
shall have been obtained within five years of the date of application; or (3) A person who can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Board
that he or she has gathered the required experience through alternative means.
A nonrefundable application filing fee of $60.00, in the form of a check or money order made out to the State of New Jersey, must be
submitted with this application.

http://www.nj.gov/lps/ca/electric/journeyman.pdf

Despite what most think NJ does have a journeyman program
IMHO it is just a way to extort $60 from somebody BUT with work being the way it is these days this might not be bad idea to get

robnj772 is offline   Reply With Quote