Ladder for side work - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree34Likes

Old 04-30-2016, 10:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 334
Default Ladder for side work

So our family now has a second vehicle which would allow me to use it for side work and quit paying over 50 cent per mile to use my work truck, as much as I would rather use my truck I really need to use the car but the issue I am having is a ladder. I could strap a eight foot step to the roof, but it doesn't do much for the image if you know what I am saying. Does anyone know of a solution for a good ladder that would fit. I've seen those collapsing a frame ladders but don't know how I feel about not using fiberglass. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
Anathera is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2016, 10:36 AM   #2
Band Member

Rewards Points: 6,252

Sometimes I do service calls with my car. I bring either a 2' or 4' fiberglass depending on what I'm doing.

How high do you need to be ?
telsa likes this.
emtnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:36 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 998

If you wanted to start contracting work why didn't you buy a vehicle fit to do so?

Do you have your contractors license and an insurance policy?
dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathera View Post
So our family now has a second vehicle which would allow me to use it for side work and quit paying over 50 cent per mile to use my work truck, as much as I would rather use my truck I really need to use the car but the issue I am having is a ladder. I could strap a eight foot step to the roof, but it doesn't do much for the image if you know what I am saying. Does anyone know of a solution for a good ladder that would fit. I've seen those collapsing a frame ladders but don't know how I feel about not using fiberglass. Thoughts?

So, your boss lets you use your work truck for side jobs? Pics of the car and the ladder? Maybe you could use one of those folding ladders.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:44 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
If you wanted to start contracting work why didn't you buy a vehicle fit to do so?

I may have missed something,, but how do you figure he wanted to start a contracting company. He clearly stated hes doing side jobs.
I know that may not be the proper way, but I'm sure a high percentage of the members on this site started that way.
readydave8 likes this.
controlled is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to controlled For This Useful Post:
metalpats (05-01-2016), theJcK (04-30-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 10:47 AM   #6

I have a full time electrical job but the pay isn't that great so to make up I do work on the side. Have been using the company truck but would like to save the cost. I've got a four door Saturn now, I can get a 4ft fiberglass in there pretty well but was looking for ideas for the 6-8ft range.

Have my license and insurance as well

Majewski likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anathera For This Useful Post:
dawgs (04-30-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 10:47 AM   #7
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 4,188

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgs View Post

You gotta start somewhere. My daily driver is a Chevy wagon. I tried it out as an experiment two years ago and I'm still rolling in it. I can fit a 6' ladder in a Thule box. Looks like I'm going skiing.
Majewski likes this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:51 AM   #8
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

Why the need for a 'special ladder' just because it's "side work"? Do you use different strippers, linesmans, screwdrivers, cords, drills etc as well?
Majewski likes this.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents
You gotta start somewhere. My daily driver is a Chevy wagon. I tried it out as an experiment two years ago and I'm still rolling in it. I can fit a 6' ladder in a Thule box. Looks like I'm going skiing.
Then that vehicle is fit to do what you need. He made it sound like he couldn't really carry anything.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:53 AM   #10

Just for being able to fit it in the vehicle. There's not enough room for anything over 4feet and some of what I've been doing needs an 8ft. Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1462024365584.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  15.8 KB some of our painters carry this for side stuff with small vehicles but I don't really know about working off an aluminum ladder

Majewski likes this.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:54 AM   #11
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
Why the need for a 'special ladder' just because it's "side work"? Do you use different strippers, linesmans, screwdrivers, cords, drills etc as well?
Yeah, you need ladders. Plural. A few different sizes of stepladders and a couple of extension ladders. I don't like the Little Giant type ladders - too heavy and clumsy. They're not one-size-fits-all as far as I'm concerned.
emtnut and Majewski like this.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by controlled
I may have missed something,, but how do you figure he wanted to start a contracting company. He clearly stated hes doing side jobs. I know that may not be the proper way, but I'm sure a high percentage of the members on this site started that way.
Look up the definition of contracting. Unless he's doing side work for free then he is contracting.

He already answered my question. He has his license and insurance.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathera
Just for being able to fit it in the vehicle. There's not enough room for anything over 4feet and some of what I've been doing needs an 8ft. some of our painters carry this for side stuff with small vehicles but I don't really know about working off an aluminum ladder Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
Can you put a ski rack type setup on your car?
Old 04-30-2016, 10:57 AM   #14
Petulant Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathera View Post
Just for being able to fit it in the vehicle. There's not enough room for anything over 4feet and some of what I've been doing needs an 8ft. Attachment 78537 some of our painters carry this for side stuff with small vehicles but I don't really know about working off an aluminum ladder

Those things suck and, besides that, you'll wreck your car. Why not just buy an old beater truck? Aluminum is okay for rough-in.
Majewski likes this.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:57 AM   #15

Thought about that as a last resort, there are no existing rails but some of those that clip in the doors might do the trick

Old 04-30-2016, 10:59 AM   #16

All things being equal a truck would be ideal but with money being an issue I jumped on the $800 beater car for other things and hope to use for side work. The more I talk to folk around here though it may make more sense to go with better pay

Old 04-30-2016, 11:02 AM   #17
Petulant Amateur

HHR experiment
Old 04-30-2016, 11:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathera
All things being equal a truck would be ideal but with money being an issue I jumped on the $800 beater car for other things and hope to use for side work. The more I talk to folk around here though it may make more sense to go with better pay Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
If you have to do other work besides your 9-5 then your not making enough money. I'm in Virginia, close to the same pay scale as you. Our guys are around $28 in the check.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:09 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 494

I am a fan of the Little Giant ladders, but they are heavy, expensive, etc. You could probably get one on a bike rack if you found a real sturdy bike rack.

But unless I am missing something just pay the .50/mile and use the work truck, no brainer.
Majewski likes this.
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:11 AM   #20
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 480sparky View Post
It's gotta fit into the car. He probably doesn't want to end up on a meme.
Majewski likes this.
BaumannMN (05-01-2016)