Lockable In-Use Cover - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By chicken steve
  • 1 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 1 Post By splatz
  • 1 Post By splatz
  • 1 Post By MCasey
  • 1 Post By splatz

Old 01-11-2017, 05:22 AM   #1
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,088
Default Lockable In-Use Cover

Is there a weatherproof in-use cover with a key latch that locks shut? (Not a hasp for a padlock.)

I have a customer that's a medical facility in a bad neighborhood. Once a week, one of these mobile clinic type trucks operates at their facility. They connect to a network jack on the outside of the building.

My first idea was to use one I had used before, these are OK - the Hubbell Raco MX4280S:

http://www.hubbell-rtb.com/p-227-met...le-wiu-covers#

But the lock is just a formality, you might snap off the padlock hasp accidentally, anyone could just twist it off. That's better than nothing but in this neighborhood I wouldn't give it a week.

I looked around a little, this one looks a little stronger, but still not great - the Intermatic WP1250MVXD

http://www.intermatic.com/en-us/weat...ast/wp1250mvxd

I might suggest that as the budget option, but now that I brought up the issue with them they might want something better.

Only thing I could find was this, Pass & Seymour 4600
http://www.legrand.us/passandseymour...vers/4600.aspx

This is just about perfect except that it's flush mountable not surface mountable, which presents a challenge. I'd either have to carve up the brick to recess the box or maybe use something like this

(It doesn't need to be weatherproof in use since it's low voltage.)

By the way - the obvious solution is unplugging the patch cord inside the building when not in use. Just as obviously is a great idea but would never happen, I guarantee it would be left plugged in.

Last edited by splatz; 01-11-2017 at 05:25 AM.
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 06:49 AM   #2
motherplucker

Rewards Points: 6,374

That's more variety than i realized exist Splatz , the only thing i could possibly add is, a lockable hoffman box , 8x8 of so.....~CS~
RunningSparky and splatz like this.
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chicken steve For This Useful Post:
splatz (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 07:03 AM   #3
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken steve View Post
That's more variety than i realized exist Splatz , the only thing i could possibly add is, a lockable hoffman box , 8x8 of so.....~CS~
A little googling can be a dangerous thing

I think that might be the way to go anyway. The Hoffman are a little stiff even for doctors

http://www.pentairprotect.com/en/hof...57345616918670

but this one from Bud

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/el...tainless-steel

isn't so bad ... I wonder if Bud is made in USA?
Old 01-11-2017, 07:39 AM   #4
Profiteer

Rewards Points: 1,518

They are in a bad neighborhood but are worried about someone connecting to their network? Do these people walk around with laptops and patch cables looking for exposed RJ-45 jacks?? With basic network administration, they shouldn't be able to do much on the network anyway.

With that said, I like the Pass & Seymour 4600. It's flushmount so you won't have to worry about the thugs trying to stand on it or break it off the wall. Cutting the brick with an angle grinder should be pretty easy.
RunningSparky likes this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:54 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 108

+1 on Hoffman box
+1 with what Hack said...network mgmt can lock it out.

This might not work for what you want, but, I have used RJ-45 locks with success.

http://www.rjlockdown.com/jacklockpage.html
RunningSparky is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RunningSparky For This Useful Post:
splatz (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 07:56 AM   #6
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
They are in a bad neighborhood but are worried about someone connecting to their network? Do these people walk around with laptops and patch cables looking for exposed RJ-45 jacks?? With basic network administration, they shouldn't be able to do much on the network anyway.
Dude, if a little knowledge is a dangerous thing you're an atomic bomb LOL Did you set up an email server for a certain really pissed off former high level politician?

If it was wise to leave an open jack available to the public, nobody would bother putting passwords on their wifi. It's the exact same thing.

In network security in general, the concept of layers is fundamental, and the physical layer is always important.

Hacker type breaches used to be really rare and 99% of what did occur was done by harmless goofs. The public focus is on the Russians and Chinese coming in over the internet, but that's not the end of it. Credit card fraud and identity theft being the main money motive for the crimes. This is why you don't throw out a hard drive without destroying the data.

But it's not really something that's up to me or them to call; there are legal and contractual obligations to adhere to a list of formal standards, as well as internal corporate policy coming from their HQ.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:58 AM   #7
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningSparky View Post
+1 on Hoffman box
+1 with what Hack said...network mgmt can lock it out.

This might not work for what you want, but, I have used RJ-45 locks with success.

http://www.rjlockdown.com/jacklockpage.html
I have used a similar device but that one looks nicer. That just locks the patch cord in place, that will not work in this case. That deters minor tampering etc. but no real security.

Again, the network management is not sufficient protection.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:04 AM   #8
Deplorable-Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,922

Quote:

With that said, I like the Pass & Seymour 4600. It's flushmount so you won't have to worry about the thugs trying to stand on it or break it off the wall. Cutting the brick with an angle grinder should be pretty easy.
You'd be surprised. The MRI facilities I'd worked on in north Jersey were often not in great neighborhoods. The wifi they had for the clients were often used by the thugs that parked in their lots to get free wifi. Not to mention cars repairs done in their lot on off hours and their electricity used.

We used a lockable phone box for the hook ups for the mobile units. Similar to these:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-...boxes/=15v4m7n

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" mlk
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:13 AM   #9
Profiteer

Rewards Points: 1,518

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
You'd be surprised. The MRI facilities I'd worked on in north Jersey were often not in great neighborhoods. The wifi they had for the clients were often used by the thugs that parked in their lots to get free wifi. Not to mention cars repairs done in their lot on off hours and their electricity used.

We used a lockable phone box for the hook ups for the mobile units. Similar to these:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-...boxes/=15v4m7n
Yeah, I agree that anyone would use free wifi, but that is completely different than someone carrying a laptop and connecting to a network jack with a patch cable, which should yield that person nothing with basic network administration. No internet, no network access, no reason to do it.

I didn't realize that Russian hackers were going to come use this jack like splatz is saying lol
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:21 AM   #10
Deplorable-Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,922

Quote:
Yeah, I agree that anyone would use free wifi, but that is completely different than someone carrying a laptop and connecting to a network jack with a patch cable, which should yield that person nothing with basic network administration. No internet, no network access, no reason to do it.

I didn't realize that Russian hackers were going to come use this jack like splatz is saying lol
I wouldn't put it past some JO to go try and mess with their network. There is also a HIPPA component to system access that could be a part of their concern.

Vandalism is a concern in some neighborhoods as well and when you think of the hourly numbers these facilities deal with any impact to scheduling is serious to them.
splatz likes this.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" mlk
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MechanicalDVR For This Useful Post:
splatz (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 08:34 AM   #11
Hackenschmidt

Quote:

You're all confused bunny rabbit. The Russians and Chinese knock on the door at the firewall over the internet; the hood rats would see what they can see with an open network they can connect to.

Your blunder here is thinking it's OK to allow public access to the internal network. Public wifi is often on a totally separate internet service, or separated by the firewall to segment the traffic from the internal network's traffic.

Nobody would connect public / no password wifi to their internal business network, except rubes that thing they're safe as long as they're doing their "basic network administration"
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #12
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
I wouldn't put it past some JO to go try and mess with their network. There is also a HIPPA component to system access that could be a part of their concern.

Vandalism is a concern in some neighborhoods as well and when you think of the hourly numbers these facilities deal with any impact to scheduling is serious to them.
HIPPA and PCI are both concerns, they'd fail any audit and there wouldn't be any excuse. An open network jack out in public is one even the dumb ones don't miss.

And vandalism-wise, someone could just zap it with some overvoltage and cause all kinds of havoc.

The JOs that make trouble are more technology aware than they were 20 years ago...
MechanicalDVR likes this.
MCasey (01-11-2017), MechanicalDVR (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 01:29 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 504

0lockable weatherproof JB would probably be the most cost effective. Hubble has some metal WPIU covers but they are just aluminium.
mitch65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:15 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 24

The boxes we use often are from http://mierproducts.com
splatz likes this.
MCasey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MCasey For This Useful Post:
splatz (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 05:18 PM   #15
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCasey View Post
The boxes we use often are from http://mierproducts.com

I will spring for stainless on this project, but this one

is worth buying to keep one or two on the shelf, good price, weatherproof steel 8"x6"x4" box - I'll use those for all kinds of odds and ends.
MCasey likes this.