Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 10-01-2007, 09:39 PM   #1
Yeah Toast!!

Default Measuring wire gauge

What tool(s) do you guys use to measure wire gauge size when it is not printed on the conductor's jacket or the jacket is not visible?

Roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!
Old 10-02-2007, 07:16 PM   #2

Here are some previous replies:

240V Circuits

Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 07:43 PM   #3
Wire Ninja

They make a little set of plastic gauges that you can slip in if there's some exposed conductor to get them around. I got a set years ago, but they're not as helpful as you might think. The lugs smash the conductor into a bit of an oval. Here's one such gauge http://www.professionalequipment.com...s=wire%20gauge The actual old-school Brown and Sharpe wire gauges are metal.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #4
Yeah Toast!!

Thanks Marc,

What I'm looking for is something bigger for #4awg and larger. Needed something on the last quote where feeders were suppling sub-panels from a meter base/disco panel and the outer jackets were not visible. Needed to know the wire gauge so I could calculate the feeders size to each unit. So, I took my tape measure and just measured the diameter and went to home depot around the corner and came up with #2 conductors. Guess, that is not the best way to determine wire size.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:27 PM   #5
Wire Ninja

I see plastic calipers at these traveling tent tool sales places a lot for all of two or three dollars. I think you could measure the conductor with one of those plastic calipers, and match it up with the chart of conductor diameters.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:05 PM   #6

General and others make a plastic dial calipers. I agree that would be your best bet at an accurate sizing. Then just use the Conductor Properties in Table 8 of Chapter 9 of the NEC.
Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:08 PM   #7
Yeah Toast!!

Thanks Marc & Petey,

That is what I will do.