Electrician Talk banner

metal halide

4K views 47 replies 10 participants last post by  Jlarson 
#1 ·
Ok stupid question. Can you check for voltage at the socket like a normal fixture?

#4 ·
if your voltmeter can stand startup pulses that might be in the 2k to 3k range, no problem.

That explains why my clamp meter now reads 70v on a 120v circuit then....:whistling2::laughing:

I didn't realize it was a metal halide fixture because it was a resessed light and I WAS NOT PAYING F N ATTENTION TO WHAT I WAS DOING...:no:
Anyway when I checked it my meter shut off. That got my attention...:whistling2:

#12 ·
Even with 'pulse' MH fixtures you should not blow up the meter.

As the charts 480 posted show the open circuit voltages for pulse start MH fixtures are well below 600 volts.

I believe that the meter does not present enough load to trigger any pulse.

Of course all bets are off if the meter is set to a 200 volt scale and you put 400 volts into it. :D

#14 ·
Even with 'pulse' MH fixtures you should not blow up the meter.

As the charts 480 posted show the open circuit voltages for pulse start MH fixtures are well below 600 volts.

I believe that the meter does not present enough load to trigger any pulse.

I saw my meter go blank as soon as I checked for power and now the calibration is off. Or maybe it was off before and I didn't know? Its only 5 months old and I usually only check amps and resistance with it. I suppose its possible checking the fixture did not hurt it. IDK thats why I was asking.:)

#47 ·
So it would be a good idea to hook up a relay from my brass doorbell button to a ballast kit and wet doormat to eliminate those annoying salesmen and solicitors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.