Electrician Talk banner

metal halide help!

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  frenchelectrican 
#1 · (Edited)
The other nights I went out ot a job that had 6 8" recessed can in an exterior soffet of a commercial building. Theses cans are 100w metal halide
with an enclosed ballast. The initial problem being out of the six lights 3 were not working. Since the bulbs were close to the end of their life I figured the best start was to just replace all 6 bulbs. Well the three that didnt work before still dont work so I figure new ballast, but out of the three that worked before one one fired the other two only had a dim glow. I went out tonight to check on them again and now one more of the lights with the dim glow is fully lit. I figure the ballasts for the three lights that are working are on the way out ot but since I have very little experience with metal halide I figured I would post in the forum.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I had a customer who wanted a 400 watt metal halide repaired today. Big security light about 30' on a pole. I told him it was my experience to change everything out when you go up, you know, photocell, bulb, cap... all of it. He would not have it. An hour later all parts in the light except the capacitor failed to check out. Just sayin.

#5 ·
That was my initial suggestion. I told them the lift is allready rented why not change everything out. Their response was that if its not broken corperate office would not ok it. This was before I even started the project.

Also this is an F-Type fixture every thing is enclosed in the ballast assembly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.