CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 08-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #1

Default NYC Master Electrician License Question.

I currently passed both tests and will have to go in front of the board for the final approval for NYC Master Electrician license. In order to go in front of the board I have to provide insurance, company name, location, etc. My question is if I do not want to start my own business, what would be the procedure to seek someone (electrical comapany) who is searching for a licensee and use that comapaies insurances, business, etc as my presentation for the board. Is this something that is done? If so, what is the best way to find a company that might be interested alsoe I do find one, what do I look out for, what are my options example partnership, just put license under company etc. All advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dari is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dari View Post
I currently passed both tests and will have to go in front of the board for the final approval for NYC Master Electrician license. In order to go in front of the board I have to provide insurance, company name, location, etc. My question is if I do not want to start my own business, what would be the procedure to seek someone (electrical comapany) who is searching for a licensee and use that comapaies insurances, business, etc as my presentation for the board. Is this something that is done? If so, what is the best way to find a company that might be interested alsoe I do find one, what do I look out for, what are my options example partnership, just put license under company etc. All advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
You should not have gotten a license if you do not intend to use it legally

voltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 02:54 PM   #3

There is nothing illegal about putting my license under an existing company that I am looking to work for and managing all their electrical jobs. Maybe you misunderstood my question. I can be the licensee for a company that I work for instead of having my own business.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
I can be the licensee for a company that I work for instead of having my own business.
Sure you can, as many of can. I myself did it for four and a half years and would never put my livelihood and license at that type of risk again. No matter the arrangement you work out, it could never take the place of doing it yourself.
The Lightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #5

Yes I agree, the thing is due to the slow economy and all the expenses to achieve the license I would prefer to work with someone else, and go on my own in the future. Im not sure where to start looking for a company that might be interested is there a website or any recommendations. Also if I was to hire a lawyer to generate some type of agrrement I dont want to accidentally not include something that puts me at risk. And what should my expectations from this company price to lease the license, salary, profit splits etc.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Im not sure where to start looking for a company that might be interested is there a website or any recommendations.
Try a site called Craigs list. I've heard a lot of electricians go there.
The Lightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
Nothin' To Lose

Quote:
There is nothing illegal about putting my license under an existing company that I am looking to work for and managing all their electrical jobs. Maybe you misunderstood my question. I can be the licensee for a company that I work for instead of having my own business.
That sounds like you want to be an employee with an electrical license.

But you will not be able to pull permits, do jobs, and collect money for jobs without your own insurance and business permit.
Magnettica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #8

I see so in order to pull permits for a company that is leasing my license do I need to be an officer?If they are leasing my license and I am responsible for the jobs can I pull the permits without being an officer of the company?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #9
Nothin' To Lose

Lease your license? I highly doubt you can legally "rent" out your electrical license. Here in NJ you would be fined and brought before the board to explain yourself for such shenanigans. That'd be like renting out your drivers license.
Magnettica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #10
Registered Member

Dari, congrats on passing the test, well done!!!
voltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:01 PM   #11

Magnettica- the term lease is not the appropriate word but not sure what it's called anyhow the situation I am referring to is definately legal I have been informed by my state directly. This is not part of my question thanks anyway

Volts- thank you!!
Old 05-31-2011, 01:47 PM   #12
Master Electrician

Just get the insurance and a LTD liability corp. This is under 1000 bucks. As for the board, as long as your insured and have a corp., your good to go. But why anyone thinks they can start a successful business in this over saturated field, and in this economy, is beyond my understanding.
All-Circuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:30 PM   #13

Default Dari

If when you applied for your license , you applied for a master.s. I believe, you could switch to a special and seek out some corporation , that may be seeking a licensed electrician, You could always switch back to a master's.I also believe, that a licensed company or corp. can have more than one licensee.check into it
latindragon363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:30 PM   #14
Dr Evil

Dari, that is an extremely hard test, can you fill me in on it ? I might have a business venture for you in the future, I dabble on the other side of town here and there.
Shockdoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:27 AM   #15

DARI congratulations on the exam. I just passed the Nyc exam myself and i am currently in the same situation. In my opinion, open the corp and get the insurance. It ranges from 1700 to 2000$ for the year and just rent a desk for 199$ a month until the right oportunity presents itself, just watch that 1 year window it comes fast!!!!!

Dimitrie46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license, new licensee, partnership